The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 05-23-2017, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Reviews are In: Our Black Line is a Hit!

One of the things that truly shocked me when I first got into the pick business, was how nobody in the premium marketspace made picks below .75 mm. Really? This is the number one demographic in the pick industry. We immediately jumped in and secured a position as the company that made thinner picks out of the world's best materials. These models are among our best sellers.
angle has quickly become one of our best sellers:

Here's the link to our store: https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/online-store

Please Remember: All our orders come with FREE SHIPPING, no exceptions! We never charge for freight.

Buy one of our blackies and see if doesn't turn your head around. Play it against everything you own, including OUR stuff, and tell us what you think. If you're not 100% satisfied, we offer a 35-day refund/return policy, the longest in the pick industry. But a warning: People don't send these back. We're really excited to bring this fantastic new material to market.

Thank You, AGF!

Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-14-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
When I started this thing about two and a half years ago, I told everybody we would be the leader in bringing new materials to the market. They laughed. Well, as they say, "Put up or shut up." So we're gonna put up.

After an exhaustive search and two years of R & D, as well as more than eighteen months of testing with about three dozen of the best players we could find in North America, we are finally introducing charmed life black.

We're starting with two models, one teardrop and one large tri, both at 1.0 mm. The black teardrop is up on the website and in stock, available for immediate shipment, and the black tri will go up this weekend. These models are made from a material in the same molecular class as our industry-leading brown models, but with a slightly different formulation that brings some very interesting tonal charastics to the table.

Why did we take so long? If you've seen our many glowing reviews and heard the buzz, then you know we NEVER make picks from crap material to make money. Never. There are plenty of other people who do that. We had to make sure this new line measured up to what we already manufacture. It does. Buy one and play it against anything you own, including our brown, red and tortoise models. You won't be disappointed. If for any reason you are, please remember that we offer the most generous return policy, IN WRITING, in the industry: 31 days, no-questions-asked refund/return/exchange, as long as it comes back into our barn in one piece.

We're SO excited to bring this line to market.

Thank You, AGF!

scott memmer
Okay, you've got my attention!
Can you describe in any way the different tonal characteristics of this pick?

I have the red one and it is very warm sounding compared to...well, all my other picks
Old 05-23-2017, 03:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb9682 View Post
Okay, you've got my attention!
Can you describe in any way the different tonal characteristics of this pick?

I have the red one and it is very warm sounding compared to...well, all my other picks
Driving now. Will respond within about two hours. On the run.

Or email me your cell to charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com and I'll call you back while I'm driving.

thanks!
scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-22-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Driving now. Will respond within about two hours. On the run.

Or email me your cell to charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com and I'll call you back while I'm driving.

thanks!
scott
Scott, you're reading the forum while driving??
Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Alexa, I'm sure

Actually, many cars these days can read you your email and display it on the lcd screen in the dash. IDK about replying, but I've had my car read my email to me before.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good one, TED, lol.

Actually, I was writing that post on my laptop at home just before I dashed out the door to drive across the SFV to see my machinist. I leave the driving with your knees while posting on AFG to you frantic online retailers who lead a much more stressful existence than yours truly.

rlb, on the warmth of tone, you're not going to find a warmer or sweeter sounding pick from me or anyone else on the planet. It is simple one of a kind.
There's a long saga of how I found that material, and those will run out of stock before the end of year, and likely gone forever. Amazing stuff.

I don't try to predict a player's experience because there are too many variables. I will be asking my prototype players to post and share their experiences with the black material over the next few weeks. As we say on here, YMMV (Your mileage may vary). It's very good stuff and most players report a warm tone somewhere between our brown and red lines.

Gotta Run! Thank You, Gentlemen!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I may be jumping the gun on Scott's review request, but I received a prototype black teardrop from him a little while ago. I am really impressed by the great tone--very mellow yet clear, with plenty of attack when you want it. There is very little pick noise and it glides easily off the strings. It's now my favorite pick. I also like the fact that it doesn't slip out of my fingers as much as some other picks I use.

Last edited by rdeane; 05-23-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Maybe jumping the gun on prototype reviews.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I may be jumping the gun on Scott's review request, but I received a prototype black teardrop from him a little while ago. I am really impressed by the great tone--very mellow yet clear, with plenty of attack when you want it. There is very little pick noise and it glides easily off the strings. It's now my favorite pick. I also like the fact that it doesn't slip out of my fingers as much as some other picks I use.
Robin, hi! Been a while since we talked! Thanks for kindness in posting this review. We're thrilled you like the black as much as we do. It's been an arduous task, but I'm insatiably curious so it's been a lot of fun too.

Folks, Robin is one of our prototype testers. I call them "The Jury," although there are far more than twelve of them now. If you're interested in being one of our testers, please email me directly at charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com and put PROTOTYPE TESTER in the subject line (please don't PM me here -- I'm too busy!). Robin was part of an effort we undertook several months back to recruit more female players as testers, since they are a valued part of our community. We're proud to say we now have about half a dozen female testers on board (maybe the only company in the industry that has this), and we're looking for more. Please don't think you have to be the next Joni Mitchell or Nancy Wilson; in fact if you look at our marketing plan you'll notice that our approach, with thinner models than the competition adn such, for example, is far more geared to the average recreational player, or what you might call the enthusiastic amateur. We are NOT looking for pros. Pros have no brand loyalty and always want their stuff for free. We're always looking for good male players too, of course. Our testing program entitles you to free prototypes, possible discounts on cosmetic blems and "B" stock when they become available, and other niceties.

Here's the exciting part, ladies and gents: There are more than a hundred (100!) industrial plastics that have never been made into guitar picks. By anyone. We just discovered one of the best of the world, sitting right under our noses. Why didn't other guys discover it first? I dunno, go ask them. We WILL be the leader in discovering new materials and in fact already are, and we're not even two years in business.

Update: We've already identified two more materials we will begin testing this fall. One of them is a drop-dead gorgeous color and comes from the same family of engineering thermoset plastics as our brown and black lines. Thar's gold in them thar hills, folks (no, the color isn't gold). We will begin cutting testing samples around September and will be looking for people to play them. Help us discover the next great pick material. I guarantee you we will get there before the other guys.

Thanks, Robin!

Are we excited? A little.

scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 05-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Hey you finally pulled the Stealth material out of those top secret hangers around Area 57!! This is my favorite material I've used from the boutique flatpick lines. It doesn't slide around at all and is very warm and tonally clear. I feel like this one doesn't color the sound of my guitar at all, I'm hearing the wood of the top and the phosphor bronze of the strings. And it's articulate as the dickens! They also take a thumb band well.

You knocked this one out of the park buddy!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 PM

I was lucky enough to get to test the black picks, and they are really great. I compared them against the CLP brown picks and standard nylon picks which I no longer use(!). Just like people enjoy different aspects of the same guitar, I am sure people will have individual opinions on these picks, but here is my take.

In general the black material is brighter and cuts through the mix better in an ensemble setting. I really enjoy playing lead with the black material as it gives me more power which of course translates to expressiveness in an acoustic setting. One interesting aspect is an apparent low end frequency boost from the black material, it seems to make the back of my guitar resonate/vibrate more noticeably. So you could take from this description that I like to use the black picks on more lively songs and those that I take a solo. Try it and see what you hear!

Thanks to Scott for turning me on to this world of boutique pick materials, and for helping me wring a little more tone out of my guitars!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Charmed Life Picks;5350208]Good one, TED, lol.

Actually, I was writing that post on my laptop at home just before I dashed out the door to drive across the SFV to see my machinist. I leave the driving with your knees while posting on AFG to you frantic online retailers who lead a much more stressful existence than yours truly.

rlb, on the warmth of tone, you're not going to find a warmer or sweeter sounding pick from me or anyone else on the planet than our red models. It is simple one of a kind. There's a long saga of how I found that material, and those will run out of stock before the end of year, and likely gone forever. Amazing stuff. Wish we had more.

As far as the black, I don't try to predict a player's experience because there are so many variables. I will be asking my prototype players to post and share their experiences with the black material over the next few weeks. As we say on here, YMMV (Your mileage may vary). It's very good stuff and most players report a warm tone somewhere between our brown and red lines.

Gotta Run! Thank You, Gentlemen!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Hey you finally pulled the Stealth material out of those top secret hangers around Area 57!! This is my favorite material I've used from the boutique flatpick lines. It doesn't slide around at all and is very warm and tonally clear. I feel like this one doesn't color the sound of my guitar at all, I'm hearing the wood of the top and the phosphor bronze of the strings. And it's articulate as the dickens! They also take a thumb band well.

You knocked this one out of the park buddy!
Mick, thank you for being a tester for us. We're developing a new line for fall and will begin cutting prototype samples around Sept. We will then go into a long testing period well into next year on that material. We think it holds a lot of promise.

As I said, we're here to stay and will continue to push the envelope in exploring new materials and manufacturing processes.

Thanks Again,
Scott
Old 05-26-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
When I started this thing about two and a half years ago, I told everybody we would be the leader in bringing new materials to the market. They laughed.
Would be interested to know who, in this day and age, still laughs at people with goals. You'd think people would be far past the 80s high school teen movie bully phase.

Would you say the black material is as loud as the brown material, or softer like the tortoise material?

If it does not lose to the brown in terms of volume, I'd be very interested in buying one!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
Would be interested to know who, in this day and age, still laughs at people with goals. You'd think people would be far past the 80s high school teen movie bully phase.

Would you say the black material is as loud as the brown material, or softer like the tortoise material?

If it does not lose to the brown in terms of volume, I'd be very interested in buying one!
I'll step in and answer on this one and say that I feel the black is actually a bit louder than the brown. It's hard to describe but the brown has a softer feel on the strings to me. I really prefer the black.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-14-2019 at 11:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace