The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Default Pet Peeve.

I like to watch lessons on You Tube, but many times I just can not bear them when the instructor insist on interrupting himself to explain another way or why they do it this or that way between every stroke. Just show me what you are doing. Out of say a 10 minute vidio you may only get 2 minutes of actual playing if that. All those self interruptions to point something out before even striking a string that just came into your mind, is not helpful. If you would like to go into it after the lesson down in the comment section, that would be great, but not during your demonstration, have a plan laid out before you go to vidio, and stick to it. if there is a better way to make a cord fine, but don't dewell on it, one can always rewind and watch it again if need be. Of course I have never done a vidio lesson so maybe it is much more difficult then I know. I have watched some that are very helpful, and kept my interest throughout, I would really like to see more of those. I will add, it would encourag more to buy their lesson plans if they did this.

I fault my school math teachers for doing the same thing, they want to show you 6 different ways to do fractions when one will do just fine. Never understood why people do this, but I am sure it is why I never was much good at math either. After all you don't need someone to show you 4 different ways to make a left, or right turn when driving a car, at least I hope not

Rant off

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:51 PM

I actually enjoy the small interruptions and explanations when it comes to technique. I have a bunch of bad habits and tend to take shortcuts, so it helps me focus on what I'm doing wrong. I only get slightly annoyed when they say things like "third string, third fret," or when they spend 5 minutes tuning their guitar beforehand.

Last edited by phunky; 12-04-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:58 PM

There's really a reason they do it. People absorb information in different ways. Generally, most people primarily absorb information via tactile, visual, or audible means. To insure getting the info to all types, you have to mix up your presentation.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:58 PM

I think the reason they do it that way, and also your math teacher, is that that they aren't trying to just show you to get the answer, but to teach you how to play, or do math, or whatever.

Having said that I do concur with you if all I'm wanting is a quick run through of how to do something and then I'm good. If only the person making the video knew that? I find myself saying "C'MON C'MON C'MON!" trying to get to the two minutes I'm looking for.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I think the reason they do it that way, and also your math teacher, is that that they aren't trying to just show you to get the answer, but to teach you how to play, or do math, or whatever.

Having said that I do concur with you if all I'm wanting is a quick run through of how to do something and then I'm good. If only the person making the video knew that? I find myself saying "C'MON C'MON C'MON!" trying to get to the two minutes I'm looking for.
I realize everyone learns at different degrees, just wish they would lock down one method before stopping along the way to point out other ways.

I guess I am in the camp of just wanting to do a quick run through. As I have said there are teachers that can get to the crux of the matter in a much more efficient manner then others, most of the time these instructors can display fingerings that are easy to follow, I for one appreciate that.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM

I am probably not remembering my own frustrations from the time I taught myself, but I just got to it and learned what I wanted to know by listening to the music. You listen a few times, search for the key that sounds right and then test that by trying to fit the chords and progression you think you're hearing. If that doesn't seem right, perhaps the original is capo'd. You try that as well. Before too long you'll have it and then it's just a matter of polishing it.

I don't remember it ever being more difficult than that and the by-products are concurrent ear and fret hand development. You're searching the board for the right chords for the melody and that will take you on a fret board journey that video song lessons will never do.

But, these days people don't take the initiative to teach themselves. They seek out the shortcuts and then complain about their lack of quality.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I am probably not remembering my own frustrations from the time I taught myself, but I just got to it and learned what I wanted to know by listening to the music. You listen a few times, search for the key that sounds right and then test that by trying to fit the chords and progression you think you're hearing. If that doesn't seem right, perhaps the original is capo'd. You try that as well. Before too long you'll have it and then it's just a matter of polishing it.

I don't remember it ever being more difficult than that and the by-products are concurrent ear and fret hand development. You're searching the board for the right chords for the melody and that will take you on a fret board journey that video song lessons will never do.

But, these days people don't take the initiative to teach themselves. They seek out the shortcuts and then complain about their lack of quality.
I am self taught, and do much like you, by first listening then trying to flesh it out with a lot of trial and error, which most times leads to a reasonable reproduction of the song I want. I only go to YouTube if there is a sticking point that I just can't workout by myself.

Many times when listening to a tune I can not know for sure what the guitar is tuned in, is it standard or something other than that, capo'd, or not, my ear is just not that good these days. If I go to YouTube I can get a visual on the tuning if they use standard cords, but if it is something like a finger picking tune that may not use any cords then if it is not stated at the beginning of the lesson the tuning it is in, well like I said my ear is just not good enough to pick up on it, many time they don't let you know this up front.

The bulk of my playing stems from just plan noodling around on the board, but need a visual sometimes to bring it home for me.

I guess that is why I get frustrated when the instructor just yammers on and on, when I just want to hear and see it played, then give me some instruction in case I can not make out what they are doing.

I should mention, I learned with cords, not tabs, I am just now beginning to pick up on tabs, but it has been slow going with them. Cords I can play at a glance, tabs make me pause in order to figure them out quickly. As for sheet music unless it is laid out with cords, fagedaboudit.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Don't get me started. To late. First play the tune so we can see if we want to go any further. Position the camera so that the fingers may be seen. Position your fingers so that it can't be misinterpreted. And how about saying what key it's in. What chord shapes you are working out of. Save the droning explanations for the back end of the video. Start the explanations from a point of some student knowledge. Unless you are teaching beginners.

I jump around on the videos because once I see it and hear it I can start working on the tune. Some videos never play the tunes they just explain it piece by piece. And they explain these things like you have never seen a guitar before. Or if it's a song in a tuning almost all of them explain how to tune the guitar. There are some peoples videos I won't watch because they drive me nuts talking.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM

If they drone on for a minute than what to show how to tune the guitar, I move on to another video.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I realize everyone learns at different degrees, just wish they would lock down one method before stopping along the way to point out other ways.

I guess I am in the camp of just wanting to do a quick run through. As I have said there are teachers that can get to the crux of the matter in a much more efficient manner then others, most of the time these instructors can display fingerings that are easy to follow, I for one appreciate that.
Agreed. Also when they say "We assume you know how to play these basic chords, and if not then look them up, don't want to slow things down!" and then they stop along the way to show how to play the chords.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

It's always when you are having a hard time getting something to sink in, that the instructor goes too fast and when you catch on quickly to something, they go too slow. The ActiveMelody guy is a little talky, but I got used to him. Tommy E, jumps over stuff and just says "PRACTICE", and "master this before going on," lol. Toby Walker has a good teaching pace in his video lessons.

I've notice with videos that I learn a bit faster than just with tab and play along, but I have to have the tab in front of me with the video. With a long song its a pain as I only have so much room on my desk.

1st world problems.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 AM

I agree with the OP... It is especially annoying to me when learning an arrangement of a jazz standard.

Some players will ramble on about a half dozen chord variations in the middle of the lesson. "you can play it here or your can play it there, turn the IV chord into the I chord, etc"

All I wanted to know was how to play their arrangement of song X. AFTER you teach me that, then you can certainly ramble on about all the chord inversions & give me more options.

My other pet peeve is the need to spend 3-5 minutes in every video going over the tuning each string. I could understand it if the video was intended for absolute beginners. But any video for intermediate or above need only give tuning for 1 string and move on.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 AM

There are millions of same kinds of videos in YT.
You don't like one, move on to the ones you like and browse that user's videos.
It's not like, take it or leave it.
What one doesn't like can be very helpful for others.

Viewers can choose what channel to go to.

What I don't like is when the user has bad mic that has feedback, very low volume, has mouth full of spit that everything he says comes like from underwater, user has flu, running/digging nose etc... that's when I click on the next in suggested videos...
Old 12-08-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

I've notice with videos that I learn a bit faster than just with tab and play along, but I have to have the tab in front of me with the video.
This.
There are many fine teachers and players on youtube but even when they slow down or repeat a section I still need some paper in front of me.
So many times it is the part I am having problems with that they will hurry, skip over, or only partly explain.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Pet Peeve....

Some videos feature the instructor showing off his/her skills at break-neck speeds. Big turn off for me. Pretend you, the instructor, are just learning yourself and go from there. Some books, videos should start with advanced beginner and do away with naming the parts, tuning and holding. Many instructors talk endlessly, get to the "meat and potatoes!"

Play rhythm or melody while the notes, chords scroll below. For difficult, for some, repeat measures. No singing or superfluous conversation. Supply tab or a follow along book SPIRAL bound.

(Note to publishers, ALL instructional books should be SPIRAL bound. Repeat, SPIRAL bound!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write