The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 AM

Default Boss DD-3 pedal failure

I hadn't used the pedal for a few years and went to plug it in yesterday. I've done all the obvious steps in troubleshooting this thing and I'm more interested in comments regarding experience in DIY fixes than more questions aimed at me about warranties, etc. (it is not covered anymore since the 5 year warranty is over). So far I have:

-checked to see if a fresh 9 volt did the trick, it did not
-plugged it in with a wall wart- LED works but device effects to not
-checked cable configuration to insure that it is not faulty cables or something else in the signal chain. Other pedals work.

So the problem is the pedal itself. Anyone have experience fixing or do I need to spend probably nearly what it is worth to have it repaired? NOTE: I'm pretty good mechanically but not electronically.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I hadn't used the pedal for a few years and went to plug it in yesterday. I've done all the obvious steps in troubleshooting this thing and I'm more interested in comments regarding experience in DIY fixes than more questions aimed at me about warranties, etc. (it is not covered anymore since the 5 year warranty is over). So far I have:

-checked to see if a fresh 9 volt did the trick, it did not
-plugged it in with a wall wart- LED works but device effects to not
-checked cable configuration to insure that it is not faulty cables or something else in the signal chain. Other pedals work.

So the problem is the pedal itself. Anyone have experience fixing or do I need to spend probably nearly what it is worth to have it repaired? NOTE: I'm pretty good mechanically but not electronically.
Ok, I'll chime in a bit. (EET is my degree and I build amps, pedals, do mods, etc.)

First some specifics I would want to know....

1 - You said LED "works". Ok, does it switch on & off or just light and stay on?
2 - If the pedal is plugged in. Do you get a clean signal and no effect or no signal throughput whatsoever? (The pedals are buffered, so if the effect is not working...BUT, you're getting a clean throughput...then I'll assume part of your circuit board...buffer and switching ARE working. Unless you (or someone) has modded that to be TRUE bypass.
3 - You're not trying to use any 1/4" STEREO plug at the pedal's input...correct?

Now, for some common issues....

Given the age, the momentary switch WILL go bad...it's just a matter of when. You can find them online (PM me and I'll hunt resources for ya). Also, many Boss pedals are notorious for power jacks to break or "go bad". The contacts corrode, the circuit board solder joints crack under stress, etc. I had one player that needed a quick fix to his pedal when in town...he had 30 minutes and, after an amp fix, instead of ordering the factory-style plug I questioned whether he, (a) cared about value and (b) would ever used a battery with it. Both being no...I drilled a side hole into the battery cavity...clipped the battery wires from the snap-on...and soldered them to the new generic jack I had on hand. The old broken jack was effectively bypassed and all is working fine on his dearly beloved Carbon Copy.

Personally? I'd tend to suspect the power jack OR the momentary switch (if the LED won't toggle on/off). I've seen many Boss pedals where, when the backs & wiring are moved a little, it doesn't take much for a wire to go belly up. Also seen input/output jacks go bad or their wires disconnect.

If, however, the LED comes ON and won't switch on/off...AND...replacing the on/off momentary switch doesn't fix it...then it's typically the onboard buffer/switching circuitry that has issues. And, if you have had the pedal converted to TRUE bypass...I'd then suspect that maybe a marginal rewire has broken loose inside.

Just my 2 cents! Feel free to embellish the details here.

Cheers!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 06-22-2015, 02:32 PM

Get a Qtip and some alcohol and clean the 1/4 input and output jacks. Those are the culprits I've found.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Also, (and sorry for the length), here's my take on a repair. This pedal is not as simple as a typical Tubescreamer style pedal to break open and troubleshoot without knowing exactly what you're doing. If any wiring wiring breaks are seen, that's one thing. But, overall, if can be a pedal that's easily made unrepairable by not knowing how to measure correctly and what not to touch. (i.e. static discharge)

That said, the bottom line is...it's broke. So, I would call the repair dollars myself at $30-35 tops...because of this. A) It's old...you can snag newer ones on Craigslist for $50-60 or so. B) Once your fix is done...another could soon follow. I'd save the money and buy a 'newer used' model.

The only caveat to what I just said is...if you have a close friend that will peek for little of nothing and bank on the common repairs.

Cheers!
Brad

And, yes...the Qtip/alcohol clean may help. If it works...it's likely pointing to a jack you likely should replace in the near future. If you want to keep it for a bit. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Get a Qtip and some alcohol and clean the 1/4 input and output jacks. Those are the culprits I've found.
Thanks RockerDuck. Tried this since it could be a quick fix- unfortunately this did not work.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
First some specifics I would want to know....

1 - You said LED "works". Ok, does it switch on & off or just light and stay on?
2 - If the pedal is plugged in. Do you get a clean signal and no effect or no signal throughput whatsoever? (The pedals are buffered, so if the effect is not working...BUT, you're getting a clean throughput...then I'll assume part of your circuit board...buffer and switching ARE working. Unless you (or someone) has modded that to be TRUE bypass.

3 - You're not trying to use any 1/4" STEREO plug at the pedal's input...correct?
Thanks myersbw for your thorough commentary. To answer your questions

1. The LED works upon pressing and depressing the pedal as if in perfect working condition and even only comes "on" for the moment you press and hold in the pedal's HOLD function. That part seems to be working fine

2. I get a clean signal with no effect. The pedal has never been owned by anyone else but me as I purchased it brand new, and therefore has not been modified in any way. So, yes, part of the circuit board/buffer and switching are working.

3. I'm not using a stereo 1/4 cable, instead using an unbalanced T/S cable- albeit a very nice one- a Monster Acoustic Instrument.

Thanks again for your insight!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Not to belabor the obvious, but perhaps you should look for used prices on eBay, call Boss to get a repair quote, and compare the costs?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2015, 02:32 PM

I don't mean to hijack the tread but I just bought one from eBay and it is not working.
When I connect it to the daisy chain the other pedals turn off and when I disconnect it the other pedals turn back on.

I tried with the power supply and with a fresh battery and produces no light or sound. Is it possible to be fried ?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Not to belabor the obvious, but perhaps you should look for used prices on eBay, call Boss to get a repair quote, and compare the costs?

Bob
Hi Bob. Well I have been known to over look the obvious, but in this case I did not. One of the first things I did was go to the Boss/ Roland website to find out what the repair costs would be. In a word, ridiculous. I'm better off purchasing a newer-used DD-3 and keeping my dud for parts, or maybe a unique paperweight. I also looked into a local repair shop in Boulder and their prices are a bit more reasonable and I would be supporting a local business- should I get this thing fixed that would be my route.

I guess I was looking for a cheap easy fix since I bought it new years ago and barely used the thing before resigning from the praise team in 2007. While on that note, buyers beware- the internet is chock full of similar complaint/ questions regarding Boss pedals. One word of wisdom is that Boss warns users to use ONLY their wall warts to avoid doing damage. Many have fried at least a power supply diode by possibly using another mismatched power source, or used DC instead of AC adapters! You cannot short cut these and this may be very well what I did!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Time for me to jump in and add 2 cents to the discussion.

Had the same issue with another pedal... non Boss product, it was a EHX POG 2 pedal.

Hooked it up on my pedal board, signal passed through to other pedals, hit the footswitch and NO EFFECT.... but still had guitar signal. So I did all the obvious stuff but to no avail.

So I take it out of the chain, hook it up directly.... it works.

I hook my pedal board back up, without the pedal...it works.

Okay, to make a long diagnostic short.... it turned out to be the cable on my board. I had just replaced the cable with a high end Planet Waves cable and it was 1 mm smidge shy of making direct contact in the EHX pedal...somehow. So it worked with one cheap brand cable but not my new expensive one. EHX had been receiving reports of this and sent me two thinner washers to put on the jacks on the outside of the pedal..... AND THAT FIXED IT.

So, what I am getting at is this, use some other cable than that new Monster cable and see if you get the same result.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
So, what I am getting at is this, use some other cable than that new Monster cable and see if you get the same result.
Thanks briggleman. I tried your idea and still have a dud. I'm thinking that if I want a delay pedal (it is actually a great sounding pedal when it works) I will need to pay up and have it looked at/ fixed. Just sucks that it could cost me nearly as much as a new pedal to have it serviced.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM

the pedal only works in the hold function but not in the other 3 positions?
try stompboxzone forum. they have a dd-3 repair notes thread there.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard d rock View Post
the pedal only works in the hold function but not in the other 3 positions?
try stompboxzone forum. they have a dd-3 repair notes thread there.
Great tip d rock. I will check that out!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Well, if you have a multi-switch gone defective, they're not that easy to get to at times. Given what you've assessed so far...and...given that 'time is money'...I'd personally scour CL for a replacement. Delay pedals can be had for much less than your time involved with it. (And, possibly getting no where.)

A DD3 is a few generations back. I'd offer it up on CL for $20 for parts...cut your losses and find a new toy. Like this one in your area now...

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/5066530943.html

Cheers!
Brad

Old 06-28-2015, 08:45 PM

A friend of mine had a DD-3 and he didn't like it. I bought a DD-7 and did like it, then he bought one too and likes it better. So you may want to upgrade to the DD-7, a few more bucks, but seems to be worth it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification