The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Instructional books/DVD's other for Chet, Jerry, Merle, Scotty Anderson, etc.?

Are there any good resources for learning Merle Travis/Chet Atkins/Jerry Reed stuff? I know Chet put out a Mel Bay book. Any other recommendations?

Thanks again for all the input, advice, pointers that people have provided in the past for other stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM

I have the "Mel Bay Presents the Merle Travis Guitar Style" book by Tommy Flint. According to the introduction, Tommy Flint knew Merle Travis personally and Merle Travis apparently had some input on the original version of this book.

I haven't gone through this book yet so I can only describe it to you. It is 173 pages long. It has some introductory material with some pointers and exercises at the beginning. The remainder of the book consists mostly of Travis-style songs. For every song there are chord diagrams at the beginning, and then the song is given both in regular notation and tablature. It comes with a CD so you can hear how the songs should sound.

Like I said, I haven't gone through this book so I can't really comment, except that there are a lot of full song arrangements in this book. Some of them look fairly easy, but most look to me to be intermediate to advanced level.

I bought this book becasue I went through another book by Tommy Flint on fingerstyle guitar and I really liked it. I haven't got around to this one yet.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Stefan Grossman (www.guitarvideos.com) has lessons in that sort of style taught by Chet Atkins, Buster B Jones, Marcel Dadi, Pat Kirtley.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

I'm also looking for bluegrass stuff so Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Bryan Sutton, Bill Monroe etc. and was wondering how/what instructionals are good? I always find teaching/music lessons in general where you need to find a good balance of Musicianship but also teaching ability. There can be great players, but they really can't teach.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Other recommendations?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Any other book recommendations?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
I have the "Mel Bay Presents the Merle Travis Guitar Style" book by Tommy Flint. According to the introduction, Tommy Flint knew Merle Travis personally and Merle Travis apparently had some input on the original version of this book.

I haven't gone through this book yet so I can only describe it to you. It is 173 pages long. It has some introductory material with some pointers and exercises at the beginning. The remainder of the book consists mostly of Travis-style songs. For every song there are chord diagrams at the beginning, and then the song is given both in regular notation and tablature. It comes with a CD so you can hear how the songs should sound.

Like I said, I haven't gone through this book so I can't really comment, except that there are a lot of full song arrangements in this book. Some of them look fairly easy, but most look to me to be intermediate to advanced level.

I bought this book becasue I went through another book by Tommy Flint on fingerstyle guitar and I really liked it. I haven't got around to this one yet.
Intersting you say this. I have been searching far and wide for someone who knew Tommy, he was my teacher back in 65-66 or thereabouts, maybe 67, at arthur's music in broad ripple, a suburb on the northside of indianapolis. He was a fantastic teacher, somewhat of a taskmaster, he expected a lot from his students, but man, could he ever show you some stuff. He also did some studio work, and played the grand ol opry. If not for him, I would probably never have studied fingerstyle, something I have had a passion for for years.He used to teach with an 8 string with only 6 strings on it if i remember correctly, but he shaped my musical experience more than anyone else did. I don't know if he's still around, but I'd like to show him how I've (hopefully) improved over the last 4-5 decades. do you know anything about where he is, if he's still around???

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender4 View Post
Other recommendations?
I think that these days there are just so many resources around. I am one who learns much faster, and gets a much better grasp, if I can get it shown to me. For some reason, it's better if I see it, than if I try to read it. I can read, I sight read bass all the time, but just do better sitting down with someone and watching, then trying. So i would suggest an interactive dvd. Tommy Emmanuel has some really good ones. many pro players do. you should shop around online, take a look around.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write