The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Stretch or Slide?

I'm learning the 5 patterns of the Diatonic Hamonic Minor scale in A minor. Is it better technique to force myself to stretch the 5 fret distance to reach the notes or slide? I have been stretching under the assumption it will benefit me in the long run. Thanks.

Last edited by Slobberdog; 10-21-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM

You're right, stretching (within reason) is good practice to build flexibility - make sure your position is good first - but in practice what matters is whatever gets the job done. Sliding may be fine.

All I'd recommend in general for technique with scales is use all the fingers. Don't neglect the pinky (eg don't stretch ring instead). Get the pinky heavily involved. If the pinky has to stretch awkwardly in a particular pattern, place the pinky first - get that comfortable, then arrange the other fingers. Better (sometimes anyway) to stretch the index back than the pinky up.

BTW, not sure what you mean by "diatonic harmonic" minor (or which patterns you're playing), but that doesn't change the advice.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:00 AM

Agreed. Using the pinkie is a good habit in general, especially for those with an inclination to avoid it (not necessarily the OP). It's a good stretch for beginners, too, in that it's only one fret out of position. May seem hard now, but after you've played for a while a one-extra-fret stretch will seem like nothing.

But, also try to get used to the shift too. There are some fixed-position scales that finger best with a one-fret shift of position somwhere in the middle where you have to change the entire position by one fret for several notes or strings. So learning to play scales with those little one-fret shifts is also useful.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:19 PM

For versatility you should be able to do it both ways so that you are not limited when the music calls for one technique or another.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write