The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Vocal tone is a big issue with me an I still haven't found an acoustic amp with a better vocal tone (for me!!!) than my Jam 400. I've tried pretty much everything available (including AER). The Jam 200 sounds good too but I wish it had more gain before feedback with my mic (Shure Beta 87).
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I have a Fishman Loudbox Performer. I always felt it sounded way more natural than the Fishman "Artist".

I also gigged the SA220 for years. GREAT performance for vocals from that, but as someone else pointed out, it is essentially a small / tall PA.

Lastly (not on your short list) I began using a Bose L1 Compact and love it. But that a much pricier proposition and you need a small mixer to add reverb and EQ if so desired. (and I DO desire EQ and reverb)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
The Fishman mini was ok for small jobs. I have an Artist and Loudbox Performer and I think the do a great job with vocals. You could also get a small mixer to give you more flexibility with your vocals on the mini.
I also have an AER 60/3. The vocals sound very good but the vocal channel lacks a midrange control. You just have to find the sweet spot by working with the bass and treble.
For the money - the Artist is a very good choice and about half the cost of the AER 60/3, but it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. The AER is very accurate and packs a big punch for the small package.
You may also want to look at the Henreksen Bud. A lot of power in a very small footprint. The vocal channel has a lot of control to get good mic tone.
I’ve got a Fishman Artist, I also looked at the Henreksen Bud, , , very nice amp.

Luckily, I was already sitting down when I saw the sticker.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:44 PM

The vocal on the Acus is great as is the guitar.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Acoustic Amp Choice of a giging solo artist

Hello Guitar and Acoustic Amplifier junkies,

I am definitely one of you. Cannot seam to sample and own enough of either.

I have had or still have the following Acoustic Amplifiers:

Vox ACA30 sold it
Marshall 50 watt 2 x 8 Acoustic amp sold it
Bugera 60 watt Acoustic Amp
Fishman Mini Loudbox 60 watt
Boss Acoustic Singer Live

I wish I had kept the VOX,,,there is a new model out with 50 watts that goes for $229 and looks great. If anything like the ACA30 it is worth a peak.

The Marshall, I sold on Reverb,,,it was in new shape but I never used it in a gig. I set it up with my powered Tripod mounted speakers and while testing my wife commented, "That thing sounds lousy no matter how you have it adjusted compared with that tiny Fishman amp." She was so right, Voice was not good in that amp.

Fishman, was my giging amp until I got the Bugera, and it is a sound choice.
It is more than enough with DI Out to Powered Speakers even outside.

The Bugera was a $212 Value and I used it for certain gigs that did not need the speakers. It had all the tone of the Fishman and could be mounted on a tripod in a bar and used without any help.

The Boss,,, Well you get what you pay for, $499, and this thing is head and shoulders better than any of the others, and that is before factoring in a built in Looper and Harmonizer. Reason? The Boss comes with the VE-8 Vocal Processor built in the Mic section and there IS NO COMPARRISON with what this does for your vocals. I have tried the $1000 dollar and above Acoustic amps and none of them have the vocal part down like BOSS, let alone the other features. If mine is lost, stolen, or broken, I will drop another 499 before the next gig.

Ratings?

1> BOSS
2> Bugera
3> Fishman
4> Vox
5> Marshall

if you are a solo Acoustic Artist giging you need the BOSS!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM

You got that right! I tried the Boss and also compared it with other amps. I can concur on everything you said. Great guitar and vocal quality.
And I add one more thing, the Boss is light and small, so transportation is easily done. You can't ask more from an amp
Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 PM

brucestaffstall .. thanks for the ratings and details... Very helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Any one have an experience to share regarding the Boss Acoustic Singer series of amps for both vocal and acoustic processing?

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 AM

I’m loving my Bose L1c. Excellent with an sm58 mic, and a Baggs M1 pickup sounds great straight in. Very compact and easy to set up. Also sounds great for my arch top with a Johnny Smith floating pu, and my upright bass.
Really pleased with how well it works on gigs.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:09 AM

I use my Schertler Unico for a guitar and vocals (typically with an AKG C535EB mic). The DI out goes to a small Behringer B205d that I put on the floor so that I can hear myself in louder environments.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 AM

My 2006 Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP amp has the best sounding vocal channel of any acoustic amp I've ever played.

My Fishman Mini and Fishman Performer have very good vocal channels too (and better sounding guitar channels), but they are not in the same class as my Fender when it comes to vocal tone (I plug in a Shure SM-58).

For that reason I always grab my Fender if I'm going to a paid gig.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Interesting about the acoustisonic... Plentiful on the used market and cheap.

Interested in hearing more opinions on the Acoustisonic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification