The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 PM

The beginning of each verse starts with a word associated with a particular note of a chord in the progression. Match that word and note as cues and the rest follows. It took me a month of Sundays to figure that out.

Last edited by Pitar; 10-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:53 PM

My two cents on coming up with quick harmonies while playing the guitar...

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrahle View Post

Brilliant! Thanks!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
...feels like trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time. It throws everything off. Is this something that improves over time, or is it more of an innate thing?

For the past week I've been working on Ryan Adams' "Come Pick Me Up". The chords are super simple, but for some reason I've found it very difficult to learn. I started with the tab and then watched a good youtube demo (dozens of times so far). I then found a number of different versions of the song and listened to them carefully multiple times. I then played along with the studio version, the lesson, and the other versions (by Ryan and several other covers) for 2-3 hours straight for several days. I then put the guitar down, closed my eyes, and sang along with the various versions multiple times.

I've now gotten the guitar part down where I can play it while conversing with my kids and have the lyrics/timing memorized....but.....as soon as I try to do both together, it all comes unglued. I've found songs where the lyrics mirror the melody to be somewhat easier, but still I struggle with those. But this one....man....

I guess my question is "is this struggle a normal part of learning the performing process??" Any tips would be much appreciated....thanks!
Itashi,
First and foremost: Until you can play the chords competently WITHOUT the tab, don't go any further! You need to be able to walk down the street and have the whole song going through your head WITHOUT a guitar.

Visualization.

Next: Record yourself playing the chords into a simple recorder. DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT RECORDING QUALITY!!!!

Next: Play back the chords and sing along with your guitar playing.

Get the feel of how the voice & guitar push & pull at each other, and embrace that sensation!

Next: Using a click track record only your vocal, and then when you play the vocal back play guitar with it.

You'll start to get a sense of what fingerpicking feels like with multiple parts syncopating against each other, and it's a BLAST!

You can do it.

Regards,
Howard
http://howardemerson.com
Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thank you for posting this Tom, it makes a lot of sense to me!

You have another YouTube subscriber
Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
The beginning of each verse starts with a word associated with a particular note of a chord in the progression. Match that word and note as cues and the rest follows. It took me a month of Sundays to figure that out.
Yes Pitar, I do this, too. Sometimes I have to take it a step further, like when the bridge changes to chords in a new key--and my brain doesn't catch up fast enough. So I will sit there and figure out the melody line on the guitar, and then sing along with it until I have it "imprinted" in my head.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Slightly off topic here, but Howard mentioned fingerpicking in his post.

I've been strumming for a long time and have no issues keeping time while singing along (unless the song is very complicated).

But as new fingerpicker (country blues right now for the most part) I really struggle trying to sing, keep the bass going and pick out the melody at the same time.

I suspect this is probably just one of those things (like the F bar chord) that just takes a lot of practice, and one day you wake up an wonder what the big deal was??? But if anyone has any tips on how to speed the process, I'm all ears
Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
...feels like trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time. It throws everything off. Is this something that improves over time, or is it more of an innate thing?

For the past week I've been working on Ryan Adams' "Come Pick Me Up". The chords are super simple, but for some reason I've found it very difficult to learn.
Had to look up the Ryan Adams song since I am a new fan of his this year a very nice tune by him and good luck with your version.

While I cannot sing I can relate to your experiences and yes it is hard to overcome but it will with persistent practice. Here are a few things I have noticed on my own:

1. Must have the guitar part down very well eyes closed and automatic.
2. If it's a song you want to learn to sing to then start singing with at the very beginning. Just have to be careful you don't try to strum the melody unless it calls for it.
3. Record the guitar part even if it's cell phone only. Soundcloud app works really well for this, it will allow you to play music from your phone and record at the same time. Then playback the guitar music and sing with it and try to stay on key. Harder than it sounds!

Good luck and be sure to post that finished product here!
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 10-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Very interesting idea and thanks for sharing. I think for the beginner he makes it sound a little confusing in the end but the basic concept sounds like a nice idea.

Now if I could only sing the notes he speaks of!

ALSO if you are a Tom Petty fan his song "You Wreck Me" uses D A E chords, same as this video uses. Great song and fun to play, but hard to sing ;/
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 10-24-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Playing and Singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
your own style.
I think these three words are what Silly Mustache is trying to emphasize.

Even though you are playing a song by someone else make it your own. Unless you are a songwriter it's the only way you'll make yourself different from the recording. If there's something special the song makes you feel, make sure when you sing it people can feel it too. If you don't find a way to make it your own you just as well listen to the CD. When you find a way to make it your own it will also be easier to sing and play because it will mean more to you than just copying it. I don't learn any songs that don't mean something special to me or I can't connect with. Too many songs, too little time. If you get the chance to write one that means something special to you it will make even more sense. Just my opinion, for what's it's worth.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Wow! Never heard it put this way before. Maybe I have to start to sing backup? A great starting place. Thanks Tom!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that helped.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
For few songs I'm learning where I have trouble singing and playing, I do this:
Play the song in a player like phone/cd player etc... and just strum the guitar.
Once that's set, hum with the song and strum.
Finally sing and strum.
repeat...
The humming part is what did it for me. Any song I'm trying to learn goes this way:

1. Chords down
2. Get my rhythm down
3. Hum through the song about 20-30 times while playing
4. Sing it

If o ever lose myself I switch to humming. Good luck. Jed
Old 10-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think you have got it all backwards.

The point of the guitar chord progression is to accompany the vocals.

Tablature and such can be quite damaging to some - I'd never use it.

Hit that first chord to give you the key for the vocals - and sing the vocals adding the progression as and when necessary until you have developed your own style.
Absolutely. I first learned to play because I liked to sing. Voice precedes accompaniment. Pretty sure that for most songwriting the lyrics are written first and the melody is created to suit the words. I'm sure there are exceptions, and certainly classical music has inspired a lot of popular and show music.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write