The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 with K & K pure mini

So I finally bought my wife a steel string Emerald X7. She played it at our retirement home gig yesterday.

She really likes the ergonomics and the shorter scale of the X7! But we both agree that the sound of her Taylor is much better through the SoloAmp than the sound of the X7.

Our setup is that the X7 is plugged into a twin Red Eye, (My Parker Nylon Fly is the other input) and from the Red Eye into a Fishman SoloAmp (now called the SA-220, but we bought ours in 2008 before the name change.)

My wife's comment is that the AMPLIFIED X7 sounds like a tin can. There is a lot of bass hum (feedback?)

So I am asking for suggestions to clean up the sound of the X7 with the K & K?

Something with a notch filter?

The SoloAmp has 3 band eq. I had to turn the bass way down, and still got hum when she needed moderate to more than moderate volume (the whole second half of our show).

Thank you!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Emerald X7 with K & K pure mini

You could add a parametric equalizer into the chain to remove the troublesome bass frequency and beef up mids and trebles.

I use an Empress ParaEQ.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Interesting and now I'm wondering if there are others out there with the same or different experiences on their X7's with K&K (assuming there are others). I have an X7 with the LR Baggs Element VTC and I wish it had a K&K in it. I have a custom X20 coming soon and that one will have a K&K in it but I've read a lot of feedback from people here that have the X20 with K&K and love it but I can't remember if I've read others that have the X7 with K&K.

I own and have owned many guitars and I almost always put in the K&K. I run them either through a Red Eye or a K&K pre-amp (the small belt clip one) or just straight into my amp depending on the situation and I've never had much of an issue getting a good signal. I used to own an SA220 as well. I haven't decided if I'm keeping my X7 mostly based on my ambivalence toward the Baggs and one option would be to sell it off and then get an X7 with a K&K. But now this thread has me wondering if that is a good idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification