The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Good stuff Mr. Vibe... ill try those Martins as I am all about just finger playing ...
Thanks Kramster! Give a couple days to settle since they sound a bit odd out of the package- not sure why.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Gotta give the Martin Retros kudos here as well on my APLE Shorty they are really good sounding but I changed over to SantaCruz parabolic low tension and they are Stellar on the guitar!! Had a set on now for almost 2 months and I play a Lot!! Been to guitar camp and one festival and all temps and they are really a good string for CF Imo.......

Thanks Jerry. I will give them a shot! But are they $18 good?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 AM

As a general rule, I tend to prefer the tone of most strings after a couple of days. They all sound too "zingy" to me at first. But that is MY ear.....
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks for the compliments DHart! Very encouraging. I have a day job and a family to look after so I don't get the playing time I need to be an even better player. I do treat it as a serious hobby though.

Like you, I played electric guitar initially. However, I took a liking to fingerstyle early on. Even when my interests were in rock I found myself learning acoustic fingerstyle found in rock music (Page, Rhoads, Bratta, Sambora, etc.). When I discovered all the great modern fingerstyle players (too many to mention that I love and listen to) i became transfixed.

The CH OM will be very responsive to whatever strings you put on it. As far as having enough zing will be up to your ears but I can tell you that I don't do well with nails either. I have to keep mine at about 1/16" with my thumb nail a bit longer or I will break them at work. I can't afford to take my chances with acrylics. I did purchase a Wolfram crystal file per suggestions on the forum and absolutely love it. It has a lifetime guarantee unless you break it.

Since we both love Tommy Emmanuel I thought you might find it interesting that he too can't grow nails. You can goolag a picture of his fretting hand though. He has got some mean calluses! He also doesn't seem to have issues with tone
I too think that the CH-OM will be very responsive and give me all the zing I desire! That's one thing the CF guitars have an easy time doing. For me, the key is finding CF guitars that are nicely balanced across the full frequency range, and I think RainSong is very good at doing that.

As for Tommy Emmanuel, what a sweet-spirited man and what an incredible player. I'm always uplifted in spirit and re-inspired when I watch videos of him. He is a true gift from God.

Last edited by DHart; 08-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM

My RainSong is a "Concert" version of your guitar—some small cosmetic differences and carbon back and sides. But very, very similar tonally.

My favorite strings so far are Ernie Ball Paradigm Phosphor Bronze. They are coated strings that seem to last as long as the Elixirs, but they feel and sound just like uncoated strings to me.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
My RainSong is a "Concert" version of your guitar—some small cosmetic differences and carbon back and sides. But very, very similar tonally.

My favorite strings so far are Ernie Ball Paradigm Phosphor Bronze. They are coated strings that seem to last as long as the Elixirs, but they feel and sound just like uncoated strings to me.
Thanks noodle... another option to add to the list.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM

Hi DHart,
I haven't been too experimental with the Shorty strings yet, but I did switch from the 80/20's to the Elixir PB lights and really enjoy it with them. I too really like Tommy Emmaneul and enjoyed finally seeing him in concert in 2016, you should go if you haven't yet, incredible performer.
I had planned to try the Monel's but now am wondering about the Santa Cruz strings, hmmm
Enjoy the Rainsong, I just finished playing mine tonight, wonderful instrument.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Oh man, the RainSong Shorty arrived late this afternoon and I've only had a few minutes to tune up and check it out. It is so gorgeous with the high gloss top and the size is perfect. Also... the neck - fabulous profile, I love it. Great action, too. And the tone... beautifully balanced from lows to highs, with no prominent spikes in the frequency range. Really nice, sparkly tone. Lastly, the Elixirs (which are virtually brand new and unplayed) sound great at first blush.

I KNOW I'm going to love this guitar - I do already!

One thing that continues to astound me is how great a CF guitar can sound, particularly the RainSong Shorty, as compared to all-wood guitars.

Last edited by DHart; 08-17-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Please pardon my taking the thread OT for a minute for a question...is the CH hybrid with NS neck the same as the "new" N2 neck? Or is the NS the older, thinner profile?

Thanks and again, sorry for the OT swerve.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbwrapper View Post
Please pardon my taking the thread OT for a minute for a question...is the CH hybrid with NS neck the same as the "new" N2 neck? Or is the NS the older, thinner profile?

I do believe the NS neck is the N2 neck in a 12-fret (same thickness).
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbwrapper View Post

I don't know for sure. Hopefully Ted will chime in; I'm sure he can answer definitely.

I play a wide variety of guitars, electric and acoustic, and find the NS neck to be very comfortable and easy to play, and the action is good. I like how the short scale and the 12-fret to the body design brings the entire fretboard closer-in to the body. With acoustic guitars, I do almost all of my playing in the first 10 to 12 frets.

Last edited by DHart; 08-18-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 PM

NS = 12-fret, short scale, version of the N2 neck.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 PM

I'm finding that the Elixir 80/20 Nanowebs that come on the RainSong sound good, better than I thought that they might sound.

I do look forward to hearing PBs on the guitar, though, I'm just hesitant to ditch the brand new set of Nanowebs too hastily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber