The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-27-2015, 08:04 AM

Default Gibson J45 Custom Soundboard Thickness at .150" Soundhole Reinforcement?

I recently played a J45 custom shop in maple, forward scalloped braces, hide glue, that had a very thick top, but an interesting full balanced sound. I was able to caliper measured the top and it was exactly .150" all around the soundhole. I wasn't able to measure the rest of the top due to the strings.

Does Gibson use a soundhole reinforcement as do some other makers?

I'm going to assume the top thickness thinned drastically toward the sides or otherwise it would have sounded dead? Has anyone seen this before?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder View Post
I recently played a J45 custom shop in maple, forward scalloped braces, hide glue, that had a very thick top, but an interesting full balanced sound. I was able to caliper measured the top and it was exactly .150" all around the soundhole. I wasn't able to measure the rest of the top due to the strings.

Does Gibson use a soundhole reinforcement as do some other makers?

I'm going to assume the top thickness thinned drastically toward the sides or otherwise it would have sounded dead? Has anyone seen this before?
gibson does use reinforcement, but it is in the form of small braces on each side of the hole not in the classical style which would be a round donut.

>.010 of your measurement would be finish.

basic j45's are production instruments and as such don't get a lot of quality time with a skilled luthier tapping and thinning all the assembled tops to perfection. custom shop models might be a different story altogether though.

Last edited by arie; 05-27-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM

fwiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTh-bDuRGDA

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks Arie and Ned, I didn't think they used the round reinforcement.

I've read that some makers start with raw spruce that's around .150" before any thicknessing. It had light gauge strings but maybe built for heavies? It was a well balanced, responsive, full sounding guitar. I was amazed when I spotted the top thickness.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder View Post
Thanks Arie and Ned, I didn't think they used the round reinforcement.

I've read that some makers start with raw spruce that's around .150" before any thicknessing. It had light gauge strings but maybe built for heavies? It was a well balanced, responsive, full sounding guitar. I was amazed when I spotted the top thickness.
possibly some do, but i get my top wood from the usual "small builder sources" too, and it's nearly always .187~.200 thick.

if you're talking about large volume manufacturing though, obviously it's cheaper to have the stock close to near net as practical to reduce processing costs. factories at that level though are working with logs of lumber and can deliver to the shop floor whatever thickness is deemed cost effective to produce instruments with.

once again though, you have to consider the finish in your measurements of overall top thickness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair