The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Adjusting fret radius?

Hello,
I purchased a set of Jescar EVO for my Martin. This time they shipped a 10" radius precut set, while the Martin has a different one, 16" I guess. Can the luthier fix it or do I need another set? Being precut it complicates the re bending a bit... Problem is that I need to purchase them abroad so it gets quite expensive... Any advice how to solve it without repurchasing? Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Hello,
I purchased a set of Jescar EVO for my Martin. This time they shipped a 10" radius precut set, while the Martin has a different one, 16" I guess. Can the luthier fix it or do I need another set? Being precut it complicates the re bending a bit... Problem is that I need to purchase them abroad so it gets quite expensive... Any advice how to solve it without repurchasing? Thanks!
Your luthier should be able to work with the present fret-wire.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-08-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
I purchased a set of Jescar EVO for my Martin. This time they shipped a 10" radius precut set, while the Martin has a different one, 16" I guess.
Your tech will be able to deal with it, but I cannot help wondering why you ordered pre-cut frets in the first place ... and particularly without specifying the radius? Was there some kind of communication breakdown?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 AM

It's customary to bend frets to a tighter radius than the fingerboard into which they will be installed - it helps prevent future looseness to have them "spring" downward at the ends. So, for the way I work, a ten-inch radius would be just about ideal for installation in a Martin board. Technique, experience, fret tang and slot configuration - those are the most important considerations. . .

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair