The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Default LACQUER OVER FRENCH POLISHED SHELLAC

I know that shellac is a good sealer coat for just about any finish. I have a guitar that has had 6 or 8 sessions of French polish with dewaxed shellac with the usual small drop of olive oil while applying. In a change of plans I would like to spray lacquer on it. Will this cause problems?
Thanks
Travis
Old 02-09-2017, 03:02 PM

Well, since no one has said anything I'll try

I was in fact thinking about this very same thing when I first started French polishing. My thoughts were that if I spirit off the oil really good, perhaps even clean the guitar with soap and water, just a drop of soap, and some 320 wet/dry paper, let it dry real good then the oil won't have an affect on the Lacquer.

I never did do it though.

So what's the best thing to do? Make a test panel of course. But I suppose it's also possible that any problems might not manifest for another year.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Shellac is the absolute best undercoat for lacquer, so I'd say you have a good chance of success. If the shellac coat is quite thick, there might be drying issues, but I'd say that's generally unlikely. If there's oil on the surface, you'll want to remove it, so a quick wipe with acetone and a bit of scuff sanding should make things go well. Take it easy and go carefully, of course.

Frank Ford
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM

Redir and Frank,
Thanks for the replies. My thoughts were to spirit it off really good, light sand and a quick wipe down with Naptha before spraying.
If anyone else has any experience with this I would appreciate the input.
Travis
Old 02-09-2017, 06:32 PM

I have put clear coats over a french polish finish.

Important to make sure no oil is left on the surface.

Wipe the surface down with detergent and water and then follow up fresh water, scuff sand with around 600 or 800 dependant on the requirements of the lacquer.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks Steve,
Appreciate your time to explain
Travis
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 AM

I have sprayed nitro lacquer over french polish on a refinish I did on an old archtop. As others mentioned, get ALL the oil off. I did not scuff sand but just sprayed it and it's holding up fine 7 years later.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimballc View Post
I have sprayed nitro lacquer over french polish on a refinish I did on an old archtop. As others mentioned, get ALL the oil off. I did not scuff sand but just sprayed it and it's holding up fine 7 years later.
Good to know, I believe I will give it a shot.
Thanks
Old 02-10-2017, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Typically, or at the least very often, French polish in enhanced by waxing. Wax = oil.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Yes... Get all the oil/wax off or your lacquer will peel back off or come up in fish scales with a good bump.

Not good.

Properly dewaxed - it makes a great sealer coat for lacquer....
Old 02-13-2017, 01:57 PM

I don't FP per se but I did use shellac frequently as a seal coat under lacquer, no problems. In fact I also used shellac sealer on wood floors when I wanted to give the wood some warmth, and have used oil and water borne finishes over it no problems.

I do prefer to wipe down any surface I spray with naptha (lightly), let dry, then wipe down dry with a lint free rag.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 PM

I've done it a few times with no problem. I did a wipedown to make sure no oil was present and while I don't think a scuff job is needed, I wanted to be sure and gave the surface a going-over... maybe with 800 or 1000, as I didn't want to get into sanding into the shellac much. I did a few thin, fast nitro coats (rattle cans; that's all I have or use) and had no problem on either a full french polished finish or a thinner, not yet built-up french polish finish. In both cases, I did this because the end user was jinky about shellac (is everyone really afraid of spilling booze on their guitars?). I wouldn't have done it for myself, but no problem. Good luck. Should work fine.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I gave the guitar a quick scuffing and a good cleaning and have sprayed a couple of coats. So far so good.
Travis
Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Note: If FP is the undercoat, there's really no reason to use oil at all. Build the thinnest possible body coat, pore-fill, and one more wash coat, then "finish" with the spray.

Some of the best french polishers use no oil throughout the entire process, it's just a matter of touch. If you know oil is an issue, avoid it wholesale, I'd say.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair