The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Best video (DVD or online) lessons for intermediate?

I've been "playing" guitar for 15 years but never really learned or studied technique, theory or other aspects. I played in a band for a few years and was able to muddle through as an ok rhythm player and very basic lead player (basically pentatonic noodling - it was an electric jam/funk/rock band).

As life as gotten busier with work, kids, etc, my playing time dwindled and my limited skills and knowledge regressed quite a bit. While I was finally making money and buying gear, I found that my playing was becoming really rudimentary. I am now primarily playing acoustic - singing and strumming mostly - though I will occasionally fire up my electric rig to shake the windows a bit.

I want to start over - to commit to learning guitar so I can really use these nice pieces of gear that I've been fortunate enough to come acquire. For my current lifestyle, taking in person lessons, while the ideal (since I am likely to benefit most from this) is a bit unrealistic between work and family obligations. I am unlikely to benefit most from books or written lessons (though am open to this as a method of review, practice, etc. This leaves me with video (DVD or online) lessons. I am most interested in (re)learning blues, rock and acoustic styles, but specifically have an interest in starting down the road of jazz (Wes Montgomery, the funkier John Scofield, Soulive, Lettuce - type stuff) and bluegrass.

Any recommendations would be great.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

For Bluegrass this series by Dan Miller gets a lot of love on the forum.

It starts pretty basic and really gives you a strong foundation. I'm not much of a bluegrasser, but I like the book/CD and find the bass runs he teaches translate well to other styles.

http://www.flatpick.com/product_p/2437.htm

Edit: just realized you said you don't like books...but the cd with this one is very helpful.

Last edited by reeve21; 01-26-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Justinguitar has a pretty extensive series of lessons online, moving from beginner to at least intermediate. Mostly on blues and rock, but some good introductory stuff on jazz. https://www.justinguitar.com/
Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Any thoughts on Tru Fire or JamPlay?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:38 PM

For the spectrum of things you're interested in, I definitely recommend Truefire. Had a subscription for a while and it was cool - there's more there than you'll ever use. Good teachers and good curricula. The huge variety is part of the problem too, because you can switch around between different lessons all you want. So it does take some discipline to stick w/a given curriculum. Still, I recommend their subscription over paying for downloading their courses, which you could also choose to do.

No experience w/JamPlay, though I think it's similar.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:40 PM

You may want to look into signing up for the free trials for GuitarTricks and JamPlay. I'm currently on the 2-week trial for GuitarTricks (I'll do the JamPlay one after that), and it is pretty good, lots of fingerstyle stuff on there, which is what I've been focusing on lately.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

If you join the Homespun site, you will get weekly offers for online courses that you can either download or keep in an online library. All kinds of styles, levels, and instructors. If you miss one that you thought you would like, it will probably be re-offered in a couple of months, or you can just pay the full price on their site for immediate gratification.

I have found that it is easier than using DVD's.

CK
Old 01-26-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
Any thoughts on Tru Fire or JamPlay?

[emoji106]for TrueFire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Dan - Charter Member

JamPlay pays to license songs to be used in lessons. The last time I looked at TrueFire, they did not use copyrighted songs. I have no comment on the difference in lesson quality. But I would say get free trials for both and check them out.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 PM

Truefire is an excellent resource. Maybe checkout some Robben Ford lessons. He's an excellent teacher and he can be a good way into some of the jazz language as he infuses it well within the blues but also explains how it works very effectively. It might be a good mix of the familiar with the new.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I like TrueFire. Truefire gives you the tab and GuitarPro files. Activemelody is good, but a touch talky. Homespun has tons of "instant downloads". Tons of blues there. Also Toby Walker's stuff is nice.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I am using True Fire. If there are songs within the lessons that you want to learn, then it will likely work for you. It really comes down to that for myself. There are only about 3 videos that work for myself, but it's enough to keep me busy. In addition,what they refer to as the SoundSlice view, which brings you up close and personal to the music, and the video, is outstanding.

But it all comes down to whether the content works for you. I think they give you 30 free days to check it all out.

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write