The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 AM

Default Alhambra 10C

New member here...
Back in 2002, I was traveling through Spain and got an Alhambra 10C for a reasonable price. The guitar is a gem and the it has a deep, beautiful sound. I learned to play on a classical, but don't play as much anymore. Also, the neck on this guitar is quite larger than average. I am thinking of selling it on CL, but I don't know how much to ask for it. The new version of this model, 10 P, sells for about $1,500 used. Mine is in mint shape, it's been sitting in its case. Any ideas for how to appraise this? Can't find anything on Ebay, Reverb, etc.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_t View Post
New member here...
Back in 2002, I was traveling through Spain and got an Alhambra 10C for a reasonable price. The guitar is a gem and the it has a deep, beautiful sound. I learned to play on a classical, but don't play as much anymore. Also, the neck on this guitar is quite larger than average. I am thinking of selling it on CL, but I don't know how much to ask for it. The new version of this model, 10 P, sells for about $1,500 used. Mine is in mint shape, it's been sitting in its case. Any ideas for how to appraise this? Can't find anything on Ebay, Reverb, etc.
They're essentially worthless, but I'd be happy to pay shipping to NZ just to take that garbage off your hands...

But seriously, you might have had luck on items already sold on ebay, or on the Spanish equivalent, I used to find things like this on milanuncios.com or some other venta en segunda mano site in Spain. They can at least give you an idea of what other quality Spanish guitars are listing for these days. I'm not really sure what the differences are between the 10p and the 10c, but assuming they're essentially the same materials and workmanship, you can probably assume a similar pricepoint. The challenge with used guitars is that brand names are (almost) everything for people on the second hand market, so you're sort of at the mercy of brand recognition and the availability of a well-informed market. The standard advice around here is often to have a look at what they can tell you over at the delcamp forum - there are some people on there who are extremely knowledgeable about the classical guitar world, but I don't know the policies on discussing prices and the like.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I think the 10C has mahogany sides and back and the P series have rosewood back/sides. The bracing design was a little different too I guess with the C series.

The used guitar market in the Northeast US doesn't seem to include too many classicals. It seems to be more of a specialty market, with either cheap crap or very high end stuff.

Anyone want to trade this with a Martin?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'd think you could find someone around Boston who has enough interest in classical guitars to at least have a look, if you're anywhere near there. Any shops in your immediate area that might be able to put it up on consignment or give you an evaluation?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical