The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 PM

After reading this, I decided to contact Jim Olson just to see if he is at all able & willing to do a "generic" build. I figured that I was on the fence, and if he said no, then I had my decision made for me.

Turns out he said he was taking no more custom orders but is willing to do something like the original (unsigned) James Taylor SJ V1. He would also do a Brazilian upgraded version if requested.

Yikes, now the ground is shaking...I am unsure if I should make the leap never having played an Olson SJ. It is a significant investment, and what if it is too deep / not the tone I prefer?

On the other hand, this may be once of the last chances I have for a guitar of this magnitude. But I don't gig, and my ability probably doesn't warrant a purchase like this. Decisions...

...sorry for the hijack!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
After reading this, I decided to contact Jim Olson just to see if he is at all able & willing to do a "generic" build. I figured that I was on the fence, and if he said no, then I had my decision made for me.

Turns out he said he was taking no more custom orders but is willing to do something like the original (unsigned) James Taylor SJ V1. He would also do a Brazilian upgraded version if requested.

Yikes, now the ground is shaking...I am unsure if I should make the leap never having played an Olson SJ. It is a significant investment, and what if it is too deep / not the tone I prefer?

On the other hand, this may be once of the last chances I have for a guitar of this magnitude. But I don't gig, and my ability probably doesn't warrant a purchase like this. Decisions...

...sorry for the hijack!
I'm certainly not looking into something on the price level of an Olson, but I'm looking at buying a hand built acoustic that would by far be the most expensive guitar I have ever purchased. I would definitely say that my ability doesn't warrant the purchase. What it comes down to is finding something that plays and sounds the way you want it to...so you are inspired to pick it up, play more, learn more, be creative, and hopefully improve as a player. That's why I'm looking for something "above my skill level". I want to be inspired to play more so I can learn more songs, maybe come up with more songs of my own, and hopefully improve as a player.

I say...go for it!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:

...sorry for the hijack!
I don't gig either - and I'm sure my playing ability doesn't approach most of the folks posting here. But.....I don't think we are going to see too many more Olson's built...I've played a couple of Olson's and they sound wonderful...I don't own a brazilian...and I am fortunate to be able to afford it. For me, this is probably the last acoustic I buy. So my advice is "go for it" (just as long as Jim finishes mine first! Haha!).
Old 01-24-2017, 09:02 PM

Default That guitar

...really doesn't suck. Congrat-you-lations.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
It's going to be an SJ, cedar top and BRW back and sides.
Congrats on securing a spot in Jim's upcoming batch. You certainly can't go wrong with these specs.

While I very much enjoy my three SJs, the BRW/cedar one is quite special indeed.

I look forward to seeing the build photos of your guitar.

Quote:
By "too deep", I assume you are referring to the body size. If you can handle a D28, you'll be fine with an SJ. Personally I think the SJ feels a bit like an OM (mind you I'm not particularly sensitive about body depth).

In regards to the price of the guitar, while you are right that it is a significant investment the net cost of ownership is in the same ballpark as an average Martin. The resale value is excellent and has been excellent for many years. I can think of a lot of guitars that are priced lower but would end up costing you way more.

As for tone, only you can answer this question but I think Jim's guitars make the perfect complement for Martins. An SJ will feel familiar to most Martin players -- but the sound is much, much more open and sizzles with overtones. While a Martin OM clears its throat with a medium/heavy attack, the SJ sounds warm and full with a soft/medium attack.

On top of that, Jim's workmanship is impeccable and fit and finish are second to none. I can't think of any guitar, at any price point, that I'd rather play.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 PM

From your sample photos you appear to be going for a 40 style top. I recommend you consider style 42/45 top in your deliberations, at it is the working definition of a "pearltop" design. I always feel like there's something left out on the style 40. Some people comment that style 40 is more "understated", or "basic", or "simple", or "tasteful", etc...., but they already have the full pearl border and the rosette, so I don't really understand those points of view
Old 01-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
From your sample photos you appear to be going for a 40 style top. I recommend you consider style 42/45 top in your deliberations, at it is the working definition of a "pearltop" design. I always feel like there's something left out on the style 40. Some people comment that style 40 is more "understated", or "basic", or "simple", or "tasteful", etc...., but they already have the full pearl border and the rosette, so I don't really understand those points of view
I'm not really familiar with these style designations you refer to - I didn't see anything on Jim's website about that, nor did he mention that to me. Can you provide some additional details or pictures?
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

The styles being referred to are from Martin nomenclature. Although Jim is by no means of the Martin school of the Lutherie, these numbers have become pretty standard references across the industry, particularly for top binding treatment.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 PM

"The styles being referred to are from Martin nomenclature. Although Jim is by no means of the Martin school of the Lutherie, these numbers have become pretty standard references across the industry, particularly for top binding treatment."

Exactly. The pictured Olson, in Martin nomenclature, is style 40. This (note the pearl border around the fretboard extension) is style 42/45:

Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 PM

As part of his standard package, Jim offers paua edging around the top perimeter. The majority of SJs have this feature, including the JTSM models.

Not included in the base price is the paua edging around the fingerboard extension, around the fingerboard itself, around the headstock and lastly around the back perimeter. These are all options.

Most Olsons do not have the inlaid 42-style extension -- but I went with it on all three of my guitars.

Here's a couple of close-ups of the fingerboard extension:

Old 01-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
By "too deep", I assume you are referring to the body size. If you can handle a D28, you'll be fine with an SJ. Personally I think the SJ feels a bit like an OM (mind you I'm not particularly sensitive about body depth).

In regards to the price of the guitar, while you are right that it is a significant investment the net cost of ownership is in the same ballpark as an average Martin. The resale value is excellent and has been excellent for many years. I can think of a lot of guitars that are priced lower but would end up costing you way more.

As for tone, only you can answer this question but I think Jim's guitars make the perfect complement for Martins. An SJ will feel familiar to most Martin players -- but the sound is much, much more open and sizzles with overtones. While a Martin OM clears its throat with a medium/heavy attack, the SJ sounds warm and full with a soft/medium attack.

On top of that, Jim's workmanship is impeccable and fit and finish are second to none. I can't think of any guitar, at any price point, that I'd rather play.
That you for that description - that's the first and best description of Olson's sound I can relate to. I had heard comparisons to Taylors in the past, which concerned me. Nothing against Taylors, but I prefer the Martin sound.

Yes, by "too deep" I did in fact mean body depth. I do have a D-28 but am not entirely comfortable with that size. It's by far my least-played guitar. I compared my 000-42 vs the Olson SJ measurements, and the waist is a tiny bit smaller than the 000, and the depth is about 1/2" more for the SJ. All other measurement differences were negligible.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanks for all of your inputs, that's helpful relative to style options. Actually, I didn't really want the Paua edging around the fingerboard extension or the fingerboard itself. I am doing a brazilian veneer on the back of the headstock. I'm also going with a minimalist Ryan style 12th fret marker. I love the rosette with brazilian inlay and Paua, and the Paua top edging and back center strip - but thats enough bling for me!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
That you for that description - that's the first and best description of Olson's sound I can relate to. I had heard comparisons to Taylors in the past, which concerned me. Nothing against Taylors, but I prefer the Martin sound.

Yes, by "too deep" I did in fact mean body depth. I do have a D-28 but am not entirely comfortable with that size. It's by far my least-played guitar. I compared my 000-42 vs the Olson SJ measurements, and the waist is a tiny bit smaller than the 000, and the depth is about 1/2" more for the SJ. All other measurement differences were negligible.
Well, to be honest I couldn't accurately describe the tone even if I tried to. My apologies if I mislead you into thinking that an Olson sounds like a Martin. That was not my intention.

I described certain aspects in relation to Martins since there's a few in your signature and I also have an OM in my regular roster.

That being said, while Olsons have their own voice I think they have a lot more in common with Martins than with Taylors.

For the rest, there are so many recordings of Olson guitars that you can relate to. Of course recordings won't give you the same perspective as actually playing the guitar -- but at least they're more indicative than words IMHO.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Well, to be honest I couldn't accurately describe the tone even if I tried to. My apologies if I mislead you into thinking that an Olson sounds like a Martin. That was not my intention.

I described certain aspects in relation to Martins since there's a few in your signature and I also have an OM in my regular roster.

That being said, while Olsons have their own voice I think they have a lot more in common with Martins than with Taylors.

For the rest, there are so many recordings of Olson guitars that you can relate to. Of course recordings won't give you the same perspective as actually playing the guitar -- but at least they're more indicative than words IMHO.
Understood; actually I have listened to some of your recordings (wonderful playing BTW!) and I believe Olsons do have a Martin-esque tone to them. My 000-42 has a lot of shimmer and piano tones that are somewhat similar to the Olson sounds I hear from you (plus a bit more low-end from the Olson).

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Stevie,

Congratulations on your new build. I have a 2012 in what sounds like the same specifications as yours with the 12th fret marker. It is a truly remarkable and inspiring guitar that has its own very addicting tone. If you sing it will accompany your voice like no other guitar you have ever played. I absolutely love mine and appreciate it more and more each day. You are going to be so blessed and inspired by your new Olson. Congratulations again and play it joyfully for many years in great health.

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop