The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Default TC VSS3 Native Reverb

If anyone's looking for a good VST reverb at a very reasonable price, TC Electronic just came out with the native version of their VSS3, which I always really liked when I had their PowerCore hardware. There's a free trial download (iLok required) and it's on sale thru this weekend. it's being pitched on their site. I just tried the free download, and it's as I remembered it, very nice.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 AM

(iLok Required) (eeeks....runs away)
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
(iLok Required) (eeeks....runs away)
You've had problems with your iLok ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Yes. It's a real headache sometimes, so no I stay away from any new software that requires it.

I have two programs that use it, Ivory II and East West Gold Symphony Orchestral program, most recently East West released a new Play interface upgrade and I spent hours trying to get it to register with iLok...I finally gave up and just stayed with the old interface.

As far as I'm concerned it's just another aggravating hoop we must jump thru to use the software we paid for.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
If anyone's looking for a good VST reverb at a very reasonable price, TC Electronic just came out with the native version of their VSS3, which I always really liked when I had their PowerCore hardware. There's a free trial download (iLok required) and it's on sale thru this weekend. it's being pitched on their site. I just tried the free download, and it's as I remembered it, very nice.
Thanks for the heads up. I had the VSS3 PowerCore card and liked the reverb results. Of course the companies support for that ended some time ago. Good to know there is a plug-in (however I pretty much hate using iLok).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
TC always does reverb right. I still have a hardware 2000 I've used for years and years. Their software algorithm's are tops as well. With VSS3 and the Lex verbs I think we've probably reached a satisfying point where there are options to what otherwise were dismal choices for software verbs. There's an entire generation of audio engineers that think D-Verb is a good reverb I'm not gonna toss the 2000 just yet but we're certainly getting closer to very viable in the box solutions
Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

The Verb is getting some good reviews over on the GS sight in the NAMM 2017 thread

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
You've had problems with your iLok ?
I'm just glad I get paid to deal with iLok. We have two on our machines because different programs and packages require different protocols.

But here's the trade-off and a handy way to look at it: You don't pay for the program installation, you pay for an instance of iLok authorization. What does that mean? Say you are a guy who likes a particular program and wants to use it at home and at work. You used to have to carry your computer and interface back and forth. Now you can download the program to both computers and just carry the iLok back and forth in your pocket. A professional facility like the one where I work may have fifteen installations of a particular DAW and its associated plug-ins. In fact, we have modern consoles that will allow you to use plug-ins such as Waves on a channel-by-channel basis from the console's front panel. Do we own fifteen licenses? No. We have a crew of nine audio engineers so we keep ten or eleven licenses including some that can be shifted to follow the work. The extra ones allow you to set up and fax* a session and leave the system working and ready for the session while you shift to another session in another room until the first session's scheduled time arrives.

Bob

* "Fax" The term refers to getting your entire setup done for a session including running mics, speakers, lines, foldback, levels, etc. Once it is up and running and ready most people don't want to turn anything off or disrupt the verified setup. With it up and running you can just walk in and start.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Regarding prices, the Lexicon Native Reverb Plugin was about $1600 or so when it came out (when I bought it) and now is going for about $599.
The VSS3 plugin is now going for $525. Think I will hold off and and see what happens to the price over time.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Regarding prices, the Lexicon Native Reverb Plugin was about $1600 or so when it came out (when I bought it) and now is going for about $599.
The VSS3 plugin is now going for $525. Think I will hold off and and see what happens to the price over time.

I think you're looking at the pro tools TDM version. The new native vst plugin is $199, on sale this weekend for $159. I grabbed one last night
Old 01-14-2017, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you're looking at the pro tools TDM version. The new native vst plugin is $199, on sale this weekend for $159. I grabbed one last night
That would be more like it. Have not found it yet online. Do you have a link?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That would be more like it. Have not found it yet online. Do you have a link?
tcelectronic.com It's a direct download. Just watch for the ads to cycle thru on the main page.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a TC Electronics M3000 in my gigging rig, which has the VSS3 reverb algorithm, among many others. I really like TC's reverbs. I sometimes connect it via SPDIF to my recording studio rig for those reverbs and a few other things on the M3000.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Power Core users can sidegrade for $79.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Here's a demo clip from playing around with it last night before deciding to pull the trigger, just trying a few of what I remember as presets I used to like on the PowerCore version. Demoing reverb is hard because there are nearly infinite tweaking opportunities, and also because most of the time I don't even want anyone to notice the reverb, but for what it's worth, here's a few samples, with maybe a bit more reverb than I'd normally use. The first pass is completely dry, then each time after that, I add reverb, choosing presets with longer times as I go. I pulled down the reverb level a bit as the times got longer, but otherwise, the mix on each is identical.

The passes are:

dry
VSS3 "Tight & Natural" preset
VSS3 "The Studio" preset
VSS3 "Medium Vocal Hall" preset
VSS3 "Church Piano" preset

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD