The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2017, 05:29 PM

On the road, I'd go for something iPad-based. You'd then potentially be able to export/save projects to be opened later on your main rig at home. I use Cubase Pro in my home studio and track/edit/sketch remotely using Cubase Elements. Cubasis for iPad works the same way.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
For less money and lighter weight than the Zoom H4n, the Zoom H1 has worked great for me.
Hi M…
He specified multi-track, which the H1 is not.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-15-2017, 12:34 PM

I've had a bunch of digital recorders from 24 tracks on down. I've had some nice handhelds -- like the Sony PCM D-50, some zooms, etc.

Right now, I use a Tascam 44wl that records at 24 or 16 bits and has phantom power. The onboard preamps are very usable, although I usually record with an external pre-amp and mics.

What I really like about it is that you can overdub. It has a reverb that is actually quite nice and usable that adds a nice sheen to recordings. I like to record guitar and vocal, add another guitar part or mandolin, and bass. It sounds very good, even considering my "performance."

Don't really like messing with computers if i can avoid it.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM

I can't recommend the ZoomH5 enough. I have a Zoom H5 and it is the most portable, easy to use and versatile little gadget I've ever owned and imo the best Zoom recorder yet. Built in stereo xy mics, plus 2 xlr inputs, records in mp3 and wave, multitrack.
It's exactly what I want and need.

I also have a small interface, condensors, stands, cables, computer/DAW but I've used it once in the 18 months I've owned it.

The Zoom takes 2 AA batteries and you're away. I've had it 1 week and I've recorded 5 completed tracks, and 4 original works in progress. It just allows me to record when i want to.

Might not be for you op but give them a look perhaps.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I wish someone would come out with a portable recorder that had a moderately decent speaker built in, so I don't need to listen through headphones, especially while capturing ideas.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
I wish someone would come out with a portable recorder that had a moderately decent speaker built in, so I don't need to listen through headphones, especially while capturing ideas.
There is at least one that I know of. It isn't multi-track but it can overdub. The Roland CD-2u (with built-in CD burner) or SD-2u (without CD burner). Both models record to SD card.

This unit was developed mainly for musicians and music teachers. Because it has speakers, it is too large to be handheld. It is about the size of a book, so I don't think it would fit the criteria being discussed here. It is also expensive, but does a really nice job at what it was built for.

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CD2Urec

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
Any portable recorder can be paired with a small "boombox" type amplified speaker for that purpose. The combination gives you the best of both worlds, allowing you to use the recorder in the smallest form factor possible, or pair it up for room-filling amplified sound. I use a Creative D100 (less than $50) that I use with my Zoom R24, my Tascam D-05, and my mp3 player, and also my laptop computer. It makes all those Youtube videos totally enjoyable with all the additional bass available.

Since it connects via a small 1/8" stereo cable OR Bluetooth I often start a podcast on my laptop and just carry the D100 into the kitchen to listen.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-D100.../dp/B003N9SR00

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD