The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Default TrueFire members: Best acoustic courses?

I have a membership at Truefire and I want to get some advice if I can on good technique courses for both fingerstyle and strumming techniques. I already play fingerstyle, but not really well and I'd love to work on technique there as well as new strumming techniques. Any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Anything from David Hamburger. He's a great teacher and covers some really good material. His instructional techniques are the best.

Bourgeois JOMC, MadRose/Adi
Baranik, JX MadRose/German
Baranik, JX Brazilian/Italian
SCGC OM, Brazilian / German
SCGC OMG, Brazilian / Moon Spruce
Dan Roberts Troubadour, Mahogany/Adi
Collings CJ35 Mahogany/German
Jimmy Edmonds OM Braz/Adi
Greven '1937' D18
Greven '1937' OM Braz/Adi
Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

My favorite TrueFire artist is Vicki Genfan. She is one of the most rhythmic and dynamic guitarists I've ever seen. She's got several lessons listed and a pretty good one on 30 strumming patterns. And you can find examples of those at youtube. Good luck...

https://truefire.com/educators/vicki-genfan/e4175

And Vicki's web site if you'd like it...

http://vickigenfan.com

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-11-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I have Truefire lessons from Tommy Emmanuel, David Hamburger, Muriel Anderson and Brooks Robertson. I've only worked on the TE lessons, but the other ones looked interesting enough for me to buy them. I have so much stuff to work on that I'm overloaded and tax season looms ahead. So my advice is to take it slow, buy a couple and work on them, don't be like me, lol.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have Truefire lessons from Tommy Emmanuel, David Hamburger, Muriel Anderson and Brooks Robertson. I've only worked on the TE lessons, but the other ones looked interesting enough for me to buy them. I have so much stuff to work on that I'm overloaded and tax season looms ahead. So my advice is to take it slow, buy a couple and work on them, don't be like me, lol.
It's called TAS (Truefire Acquisition Syndrome) or HAS (Homespun Acquisition Syndrome). My name is Bob. I am a recovering TASoholic and HASoholic. At least it's a lot cheaper than GAS and the wifey will never know!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
It's called TAS (Truefire Acquisition Syndrome) or HAS (Homespun Acquisition Syndrome). My name is Bob. I am a recovering TASoholic and HASoholic. At least it's a lot cheaper than GAS and the wifey will never know!
Lol, I'm on my second Homespun screen. Stefan Grossman has similar software, but I only have a couple things.... Then there's Toby Walker's stuff, Active melody.......

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-13-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Slacker View Post
Anything from David Hamburger. He's a great teacher and covers some really good material. His instructional techniques are the best.
Couldn't agree more. He's excellent and scaffolds his lessons really well, especially in his newer courses.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I has HAS too. Hopefully the Traum family and their artists appreciate my support! And to be honest, I am a better player for it.

Best,

Rick
Old 01-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

As a lifelong flatpicker, I'm ready to try something out of my comfort zone.

I looked at a few of the lesson samples from David Hamburger of Truefire. I think I might benefit from his style of teaching blues. However, I'm not exactly sure which beginner finger style blues lessons to start with. I'm an intermediate flatpicker but have tried and failed a few times to progress with finger style.
I welcome advice here, as there are no guitar teachers in my area. Any suggestions from David's students would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by SugarmillMan; 01-16-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:40 PM

This is more fingerpicking, but a great course by Howard Morgen. Nice perspective of the fretboard from a nice dude.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post
As a lifelong flatpicker, I'm ready to try something out of my comfort zone.

I looked at a few of the lesson samples from David Hamburger of Truefire. I think I might benefit from his style of teaching blues. However, I'm not exactly sure which beginner finger style blues lessons to start with. I'm an intermediate flatpicker but have tried and failed a few times to progress with finger style.
I welcome advice here, as there are no guitar teachers in my area. Any suggestions from David's students would be great. Thanks.
FWIW, I am/was in a similar boat. I wasn't sure which Hamburger to start with, so I decided to start with 30 Beginner Fingerstyle Blues Licks You MUST Know. It's not billed as a structured course but it actually builds extremely well. The lessons build thumb and finger independence by starting with very simple lessons early on and then scaffolding/building from there. The only downside is that you're not really learning full songs and some of the licks are pretty basic. That said, each of the lessons works well as a vamp and as you get into the later lessons he starts moving between chords as well, both in turnarounds and song progression.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM

Another Truefire fan here.

I particularly like Adam Miller's Acoustic Groove, Massimo Varini's Rhythm Factory and Pierre Bensusan's DADGAD Explorer. I use these in a more or less structured way.

But I also use Chris Buono's Funk Fission and Andy Aledort's Progressive Blues Power. And I learned a lot about effects from Jeff McErlain's Guitar Effects Survival Guide. These courses are more for 'fun' in an entertaining way (just looking at the video's). But there are always little things I pick up.

I bought some of these courses during their end of year sale last December. I would not have gotten so many courses for the regular price. But for $5 each, I figured I'd give them a try (I still have some waiting to be opened for the first time!).

98 Taylor 414 E
06 self built classic
06 Larrivee OM-09 'Custom' (Madi) (since 2016)
06 Larrivee OM-09 MR (for DADGAD)
16 Fender elite stratocaster HSS
17 Recording King 'Dirty 1930's' single O

? Stagg stratocaster HSS
? Aria Sinsonido (Soloette copy)
0? self build OM in the making

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write