The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Question on song intros

So I have been playing for four years now and consider myself an advanced beginner/intermediate/whatever
I am still at the level that I need to follow tab or chord charts.
But they all seem start on the first chord and lyric.
But most songs do not start immediately that way.
How to make a short intro to a song is my question.
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:00 PM

The simplest thing to do is play a measure of that first chord progression. It's kinda boring and unimaginative, but it many cases it'll do.

If what you're playing is a cover, take a listen to the original arrangement and see if you can reproduce it. This may involve playing a melodic part and the harmonic foundation simultaneously. Listen to all the different instruments and see if you can reproduce percussive and non-guitar parts.

As your experience and skills develop (hopefully that never stops), you'll find your own extensions and progressions and turnarounds that will work. Sometimes it'll be a familiar cliche, sometimes you'll come up with something wholly original. One thing I love about playing solo arrangements (for me that's one guitar and one voice), is that you don't have to fit into a full band arrangement, with people expecting you to play your guitar part and nothing else. There is a real skill to this and it has its own rewards, but doing everything yourself is in a way very freeing. It's another challenge, where you're trying to create a part that fills space, stands on its own, and establishes your style.

I hope this helps.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Listen to lots of songs and figure out where the intro comes from. Often it is part of the song.

A default method could be to play the last line, or last four/eight bars of the melody. This can help if someone else is singing as it lets them know when to start. If the song has a chorus try the last line of that.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Guest4562

You can be wide open on this, lots of options. My favorite technique is to play something similar to the song but different, and then launch into it. Can't overdue it, though.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Get CREATIVE!!! There really is no "right or wrong" way to go with this... as many have said, there are as many different "intro" paths as there are songs to play...

Some of my favorite intros to do are:

Start with the chords/melody, but played slowly, without time (rubado), then either pause and start the song at tempo, or build into the tempo as you play...

Sometimes a song will have a bridge or verse that's only sung once in the actual song, so I'll begin the song with that bridge, and then go into the main tune after... (ex: John Hiatt's "Drive South", the part that says "We can go down with a smile on; don't bother to pack your nylons...")

Set up the rhythmic pattern of the song, using just the bass notes of the opening chords, then merge that into the song...

I'll start a few songs a cappella, just voice alone, and then come in with the chords and rhythm... (double check yourself to be sure that you're starting on key!)

You get the idea! Mess around with it and have fun... I'm assuming that you're only playing songs that you truly enjoy and love, so the "having fun" part should be easy!

There is a LOT of freedom and room to move when you're playing solo or in duos...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:02 PM

for an Intro I pick the melody of the first verse usually or sometimes just the ending line of the first verse.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write