The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 PM

Default Classical desires

As some of you may have already read in my other posts, I'm just starting guitar. I bought an acoustic for all the right reasons, except that I have always really loved the sound of classical guitar. I somewhat regret not starting with classic for a couple reasons, not the least of which is my cheese-grated finger tips.

All things considered, how much of a difference is there in learning acoustic vs. classical? I know nylon strings are easier on the fingers and the chords are the same either way. I know classical requires/encourages finger picking(?) as opposed to using a plectrum. Otherwise, what are the biggest differences?

I admit I already have Classical G.A.S. but also a desire to learn without frustrating pain. Further, if I was to cave to Classical GAS, what are some good options in the sub-$500 category?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 AM

Perhaps, best thought of as largely two different instruments that have some similarities. Differences include technique, choice of music and physical characteristics. Both are frustrating for beginners.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Perhaps, best thought of as largely two different instruments that have some similarities. Differences include technique, choice of music and physical characteristics. Both are frustrating for beginners.
I agree with this. It might be even more accurate to say that they sometimes look alike and the similarities stop there! You've already mentioned the strings and that is, perhaps, the start of the differences. As Charles has said, the techniques of playing are quite different and although it is possible to do, not a lot of good classical players plough their own furrow without a teacher as the playing technique at least is not easy to "pick up" by ear. So you will need a good, speciallist teacher which also means that you will almost certainly be required to learn to read music. Not a bad thing of course, but something many players don't want to bother with.
However, if you do decide to take the classical way (and that doesn't exclude other styles of playing, in fact it will help) you will be well rewarded. And no matter what style you choose, it won't be easy when you start. Tenacity is a great quality to possess.
One other thing, we classical students are not blessed with readily available cheap(ish) good sounding instruments. Good ones are expensive. If you are thinking of spending around the $500 mark the second-hand market may be a good place to look. If you can, take a knowledgable companion with you when buying.
I hope I've not put you off, but it's no good letting you think learning classical guitar is a walk in the park, 'cos it ain't. It will, however, reward you for life. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivesense View Post
I admit I already have Classical G.A.S. but also a desire to learn without frustrating pain. Further, if I was to cave to Classical GAS, what are some good options in the sub-$500 category?
For a simple answer--for new (or used) nylon guitars in this price range, I don't think there's a better option than the best sounding guitar you can/are willing to afford in the Cordoba line. The C5 guitars are consistently good sounding instruments that don't sound stiff/dead to me as do many other low-end nylon string guitars...and to boot, they are usually $299 new(!) and not hard to find.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Yeah, sub $500, Cordoba and Yamaha for classicals. If you're into "nylon string" as a sound in general, and not just "classical" music, add La Patrie to your list.

As for differences...they'll feel different yes. If you play both enough, you'll have no problems going back and forth. If you specialize, that steel string will feel quite strange after a while...it's one of those things.

As others have said, if you're truly pursuing classical music, get a teacher.

Good luck, and enjoy. Many of my favorite guitar moments are spent with nylon strings...they're incredibly expressive, and capable of some truly beautiful sounds steel strings just cannot do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If you're into "nylon string" as a sound in general, and not just "classical" music....
That's an important distinction. If you are interested in playing a classical guitar using classical guitar technique, that is a different animal than playing a nylon string guitar.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
That's an important distinction. If you are interested in playing a classical guitar using classical guitar technique, that is a different animal than playing a nylon string guitar.
Yeah, and on that note, if it's "nylon in general," boy that new Academy Series Taylor is going to be a cool option.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Many of my favorite guitar moments are spent with nylon strings...they're incredibly expressive, and capable of some truly beautiful sounds steel strings just cannot do.
This pretty well sums up why I went to nylon (Breedlove Pursuit Nylon CE). I've just always loved the sound, even before I knew a difference. I don't have a style yet per se but everything from the sound to the playing position of the Classical guitar resonates with me. I have no aspirations to play serious classical music with it, but I'm not shutting that door either.

Right now, I just need to roll over before I can crawl. This is way more difficult that I anticipated. It's all about incremental practice for me- I can do the D chord consistently, E semi-consistently. A is giving me fits and I have to decide between two methods (not including a barre). Deep breath...
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Check out the Classical Guitar Corner with Simon Powis.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings4him View Post
Check out the Classical Guitar Corner with Simon Powis.
Thank you- will definitely do!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
This pretty well sums up why I went to nylon (Breedlove Pursuit Nylon CE). I've just always loved the sound, even before I knew a difference. I don't have a style yet per se but everything from the sound to the playing position of the Classical guitar resonates with me. I have no aspirations to play serious classical music with it, but I'm not shutting that door either.

Right now, I just need to roll over before I can crawl. This is way more difficult that I anticipated. It's all about incremental practice for me- I can do the D chord consistently, E semi-consistently. A is giving me fits and I have to decide between two methods (not including a barre). Deep breath...
Keep at it, it's so worth it.

I swear, if I wasn't expected that I play steel string in 9 out of 10+ situations I find myself in, I'd just play nylon (well, and my tele...)

Old 01-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I am beginning to feel this. I'm practicing my patience, because I know it will take baby-baby steps.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 AM

LOL

I was bitten by the nylon bug about 2 years ago. Pete Huttlinger RIP posted a number of videos of him playing tunes on his Nylon guitar.

After a lot of frustration of trying to replicate the sound on my steel string guitar. I spent a lot of time shopping for a nylon string guitar.

It is now my go-to guitar for just about everything. Heck, I even take my nylon guitar to weekly gatherings now.

Sadly, my steel string guitars collect dust more than they are played.

Quote:

I swear, if I wasn't expected that I play steel string in 9 out of 10+ situations I find myself in, I'd just play nylon (well, and my tele...)
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Hi, You do not have to play classical music on a classical nylon string guitar.
I have an Almansa 457 concert classical and all I play is bossa nova and Jazz,
and I love the sound of the nylon classical guitar. Listen to Kenny Rankin and
you will understand what I mean. Regards
Norman2
PS: do a search for Christophe Rousseau playing bossa nova on you tube to see a nylon string guitar in action playing non classical music. You will not regret it
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM

here's some more: Charlie Byrd, Gen Bertoncini

A relatively new find for me is Rolf Sturm

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5JI40fiLj4

the lighting isn't great on this, but here's another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRrYgedxiHs
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical