The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Default 2 mountain dulcimer questions

Hello all. Two questions on mountain dulcimers.

1) If you purchase a baritone dulcimer, can it be setup as a standard tuning by just changing the strings?

2) I have a chance to purchase a Hambas mountain dulcimer that is beautiful. Does anyone know about them? Are they quality dulcimers?

Thanks everyone!

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Wish I could answer your question, but the best place I have found recently for my dulcimer questions is Song of the Wood. It's a beautiful little shop in Black Mountain, NC. Their number is 828-669-7675. I have found them to be very knowledgable and quite helpful.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Hambas dulcimers are very good, BUT, the ones I've seen have hardwood tops. IMHO this will stifle projection. PLAY it, compare it, and make sure you like it.

I prefer cedar tops on mountain dulcimers. If I can't get that, then Sitka.

I avoid laminated-wood mountain dulcimers.

You can easily change keys on mountain dulcimers by managing string gauge. If the new tension of the required string substitution adds too much strain, change to the octave string or go to the next thinner string in that key for that open note.

Due to the construction and geometry of a good dulcimer, they can take lots of string tension. Depends more on how you like your action that string stress.

Last edited by H165; 10-05-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

For an interesting range of dulcimers take a look on line at Lark In The Morning. The site is a great field trip in world-wide instrumentation.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Default Baritone to standard

In order to be tuned to the lower tuning used for baritone dulcimers (usually AEA), the strings used are of a thicker gauge than what is used on a standard dulcimer. If you put thinner gauge strings on a baritone dulcimer in order to allow tuning up to the standard DAD tuning, you may have some intonation problems. You may need a new nut to be made because the thicker baritone strings require deeper slots on the nut than the standard dulcimer strings.

Unlike guitars, hardwoods are often used for the tops of mountain dulcimers. All cherry, walnut, and poplar dulcimers are very common. Different woods have different tonal properties, with cherry tending to be brighter than walnut.

As with any instrument purchase, it is always better if you can try before you buy, but Hambas dulcimers have a good reputation.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Thank you all!

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your replays and info!

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcilo View Post
You may need a new nut to be made because the thicker baritone strings require deeper slots on the nut than the standard dulcimer strings.
I think you mean "wider" slots. The depth of the string should be pretty much the same. In fact, the heavier the string, the more clearance you may need between the string and the fret.

I had this problem with a "church" dulcimer that I made from a kit back in the Carter administration. It has the standard four strings that most dulcimers have, plus two strings tuned an octave lower than the two strings that normally are the lower. IIRC, I ended up making a new nut with a string clearance on the lowest strings that was about 0.002" greater than the others to eliminate fret buzz.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments