The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Anyone here have a Rainsong?

I remember playing one a year ago, but I would like to play another one again. Especially a JM1000 which is their Jumbo. If I was going to buy one of their guitars it would be the Jumbo.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 PM

I played a JM3000 twice...about 4 years apart...from different stores and obviously different guitars.The guitars for sure had an acoustic sound but I was not impressed with the playability.Also for some reason the string spacing was strange.Someone once said that the problem with RAINSONG guitars is that no matter how hard you play them the volume stays the same.That is physically impossible.What I did find was that if you played it harder,whether strumming or fingerpicking,the tone was the same.No overdriving the top to get different tones.They are very well made ,pretty guitars but I would rather have a wood guitar and all the personality that goes with the it.I wanted to like the RAINSONG because I bring my guitars out in the hot sun and out into some cold weather so it would have been nice but I was really disapointed...

-----Steve

Last edited by tarajunki; 03-11-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:08 PM

I have an OM 1000- and my closest friends own both the WS1000 and the JM3000. THey are great for their purpose.

Excellent, reliable tone. They do have variability in volume- Actually quite nice. You also know what to expect as far as action, smoothness, and you know that there is that time when you pull out your old trusty Wood Guitar and it is just playing tightly.

The set up on these is perfect, and actually the easiest guitar to play I have ever had my hands on. I agree, I prefer wood and the complexities- but living in MN- it is nice to have a guitar that you can take anywhere, anytime, leave in the car and not worry about humidity conditions.

David Wilcox uses one on the road during the Winter now- he leaves his Olson at home to make sure it does not get damaged, and his rainsong really sings.

Even Al Petteway has been seen with one on the road.

I love this guitar- and it really could be used as a canoe paddle as well

Rainsong also has what is called the Advanced (A) series- which is a lower model- good sound, but this can have set up issues, but does have a truss rod.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 PM

I've got one of the Composite Acoustics. And I've played a few Rainsongs at a nearby GuitarCenter that has a few of those.

They both sound great to me. I know some have some preferences of one vs. the other. But I honestly don't know if there's all that much difference.

I can testify that the CA customer service is great, though. I emailed about getting a second saddle (my luthier took off a bit too much, IMO, when he adjusted the action for me). They sent me two out right away, no charge.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM

I like the sparkling timbre and smooth playability of mine.

*Very* big sound and projection, both plugged and unplugged.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 PM

...And a hearty WELCOME to the AGF, pancap23! Nice of you to join us.

cotten
Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM

Welcome, pencap!!

I owned a WS1000 back around 2001, I think, and it was a good guitar, but it didn't really do that much for me. However, I've always liked their OM and have often thought of buying one for travel. If I ever get rid of my Larrivee I might do it...but then, again...

They are good guitars, that's for sure.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Rainsong

I owned a dreadnaught. It was amazing. It went the way of GAS.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 AM

Cool thanks a lot guys. I just wanted to see what some other people think. My ultimate decision of buying one will be made based on well, a lot of things. I really think I will be a fan of the guitar's ability to withstand climate and environment changes if I get one. Thanks for your opinions and the hearty welcome.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I expect to buy one at some point for sailing (not as an oar ) when in retirement, I live-aboard for a couple of months twice a year.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 AM

This guitar sounds perfect to me.

Quote:
I love this guitar- and it really could be used as a canoe paddle as well
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 PM

I find them to be interesting in theory, but I prefer wood acoustic guitars. I guess I may be a bit old fashioned.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 03-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Don't know if they are consistent, but one of the nicest sounding acoustics, for a lot of reasons, that I ever played was a Rainsong WS1000. I had such great clarity and volume. Nice neck feel and action, too.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
but one of the nicest sounding acoustics, for a lot of reasons, that I ever played was a Rainsong WS1000
The WS1000 has an all-graphite neck and epoxy fingerboard fabricated using RainSong's Performance Shape Casting™ as a single piece. No truss rod. Custom Mother of Pearl sharks and RainSong logo inlays.

That is awesome!

Only Druids put their faith in wood
Old 03-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Question ... I see Ebay has one listed http://cgi.ebay.com/Rainsong-Project...QQcmdZViewItem but says the back and sides are rosewood. I thought the entire instrument was made of graphite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber