The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the explanations, Thomas and Deft. I have long been curious about this feature. Both guitars I mentioned in my post are each hand made by one person rather than a team of builders, so I have assumed that this feature is special and a quality that comes from a builder who takes time building his or her instruments. I don't often hear/read of folks discussing this particular aspect of building.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Thanks for the explanations, Thomas and Deft. I have long been curious about this feature. Both guitars I mentioned in my post are each hand made by one person rather than a team of builders, so I have assumed that this feature is special and a quality that comes from a builder who takes time building his or her instruments. I don't often hear/read of folks discussing this particular aspect of building.

Tony

I am also appreciative of adding knowledge, especially Tom's explanations regarding his use of the double-sides.

I knew that most builders who use double-sides would refer to sonic benefits, but I've never heard this articulated in quite the way that Tom presents...until just now!

I was aware that the super-stiff rims would in fact delay or potentially even prevent the need for a neck re-set, since the typical guitar will find the sides flexible enough to allow the back to stretch slightly, and the for the entire guitar to deform enough over time for this to be an issue.

With the adjustable neck-joint, neck-resets become a thing of the past...but the sonic benefits of double-sides makes good sense...and seems evident in practice, as well, considering the several double-sides guitars I've owned over the past several years.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-28-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Some folks here know that about 3+ months ago I discovered a re-awakening of my ability to play on a standard scale guitar. It's a quirky but significant story that I won't go into here...in part it revolves around a nice visit we had with Pierre Bensusan.

One curious detail was that I actually only had my short-scale Classical (thank you, Anders Sterner) and a Larrivée Parlor here, along with a couple of 1999 Bozo Podunavac guitars, the latter of which are full-scale, but the bodies are a tad large for me, more of a SJ size.

For the first time in about 17 years I had the ability to sort of scan the marketplace, see who was doing what on a "standard" basis, and try to discover if there were any existing guitars that would fit for me...primarily OM sized instruments, even though I started with a Bensusan Signature Lowden.

I have a whole bunch of luthier/builder friends who would be happy to build for me, but aside from one long-term iron in the fire (sometime in 2018, perhaps), I would have had at least a 12 month wait...even up to 18 months or more...and I really was *not* looking forward to that process, especially after losing my Michaud 00-R a year ago to USPS damage...so many *fulfilled* hopes dashed to smithereens in an instant...I just am not comfortable waiting for a build-spot to open up right now, and I wasn't going to ask anyone for any special favors, for sure.

So I just have been looking around for mostly 25.4"/645-650mm scale length guitars, following a bunch of FS posts here, scanning some of the usual-suspect retailers for anything in an OM size, and with some reasonably-close bridge and fingerboard specs. Even so, the pickings (pun intended) were few.

Then I saw the thread here about adjustable neck-angle guitars, and have always thought that if executed properly, as some have done, this would be an interesting avenue to explore...

On that thread I saw a name that I was only somewhat familiar with...but felt there was some substance in regard to his building in both the classical and steel-string world, and a reputation worth considering.

Tom Rein.

So I looked around and couldn't find my primary-target, which would have been something pre-owned, that I could pick up at a bit of a discount, and then perhaps find something good.

Then I saw a Malaysian Blackwood/Euro Spruce (moon) FS at Dream Guitars, https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/rein-rjn-3c.html.

Aside from being new (not my first choice), this instrument had all the specs I needed...it's just that I had never touched one of Tom's guitars, nor do I even know of anyone amongst my friends who have been customers, played one at a show, etc...just some commentary here, and my having perused his website some time ago...but the specs were there, and the adjustable neck as well..

I debated with myself for about 30 minutes about risking the round-trip shipping costs, and then realized (as I often conclude) that I would be dead one day, and probably wouldn't miss the dough for shipping.

Well, after a bunch of words (above), I'll try to cut to the chase:

Tom Rein builds as good of a guitar as anyone reviewed or posting here on the forum, and as good as anything I've played, period. He is easily placed (in my mind) as worthy of any and all of the respect that the top-builders have in our community...because he *is* one of those top-builders.

There is a lot to like, both tone and aesthetics-wise, IMO. Full, defined bass, along with pure, round but bitingly-direct trebles are just one place to start. Certainly completely balanced across/up-and-down the fingerboard.

With his classical heritage, Tom presents a bit of a classical aesthetic as applied to the steel-string world, and the result is a modern look, with a nod to the roots of both classical and steel-string instruments.

The workmanship/wood-artistry is second to none, and I have already spent enough time with his neck-adjustment process to conclude that I wish every guitar I have ever owned was built with this feature. No more saddle adjustments (seasonal changes, or in adding a pick-up, for instance), and along with the stiffness/stability of his double-sides building process, never, ever having to think about a neck reset.

So the guitar is here, and while I have the action set a bit low as the guitar acclimates to Oregon, I'm absolutely on-board. I may need to raise the action just a hair, but that is just a 30 second leave-the-strings-on (!) process, and something I am looking forward to, to fine-tune the set-up of the guitar in the most simple way ever...

Here is a quick and dirty video, no eq, no effects, no-nothing, other than a couple of nice mics plugged into my camcorder...

12/23/17 EDIT:

Yeah, I've been enjoying my new Tom Rein RJN-3C guitar.
Did a coupla' quick demos today, here's one of them:

Here's the second:

Originally posted:

EDIT:

I freakin' *hate* my playing on the Buddy Boy video (above)...but I'll leave it up for now.

I am up past my bedtime, specifically to record something else to present to Tom and all...

...this rendition of my tune titled "Three A.M." felt better to me, and I'm writing this as the video is uploading to YouTube (our DSL connection is slower than slow, but that's all we can get out here in the Oregon countryside...no cable).

Here it is, and as with the other quick-demos I have made, no eq, no effects, no nuthin' but a couple of nice microphones in front of a beautiful guitar:

BTW, the help from Logan at Dream Guitars was quite good (getting a few additional *accurate* measurements, especially), and the purchase/shipping process sets a standard for the industry, IMO. They have a great deal negotiated with FedEx, which the clients benefit from, and they provide everything one needs to go through the process in a direct fashion, even to initiate a return, if necessary. As a former retailer (me) who is not often impressed with retailer behavior, well, Paul Heumiller is doing things absolutely right.
I'm late to the party here but great work Larry!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Larry, could I ask what mics you're using for these demos?
Steve
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Steve
Yes, would love to know as well.......and, are those broad band panels behind you, Larry? I think you've mentioned them before on AGF?? Do you have panels behind the mics as well? Thanks..........
(ps, Happy New Year, Steve!)
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Yes, would love to know as well.......and, are those broad band panels behind you, Larry? I think you've mentioned them before on AGF?? Do you have panels behind the mics as well? Thanks..........
(ps, Happy New Year, Steve!)
Fred

Thanks for the interest/questions...

The panels are standard office-cubicle dividers that I purchased long-ago from an office furniture supply store...used! I have occasionally attached professional foam panels to the panels, for my serious recording sessions.

I also have a couple of stacked foam corner-bass traps directly behind me...but I don't have the area closed off with additional panels behind the mics/camcorder...although I have a few more panels for additional isolation, if I ever do another CD release and want to record here at home (as I did for my last two CDs).

It's all in my "office", an upstairs bonus room, about 14' x 26', with hip walls and a low-ish ceiling...not the greatest recording environment. I also did *not* shut off our HVAC (forced air) system for these casual recordings.

Mics: A pair of DPA 4011A condenser mics...yes, I spoiled myself with these mics a good number of years ago...great for on-stage and for recording.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry,

I saw your vids in S&T a few days back and will repeat here my comments because I agree with your thoughts about Thomas Rein guitars in as much as I've heard them played and researched his unique build features, tho I've never had the pleasure of laying hands to one.

* Lovely playing as always Larry and I enjoyed your music and videos.

** Congrats on your fine instrument, I've been intrigued by Thomas Rein guitars ever since I heard Brian Rankin play them a few years ago. They are very musical, yet they don't clutter the melody and your precise technique really brings that out. Nice presence in those walking bass notes too! They have some unique build features, and yours looks beautiful. Cheers and joyful 2018 wishes!

eric alabiso
Old 01-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hi Larry,

I saw your vids in S&T a few days back and will repeat here my comments because I agree with your thoughts about Thomas Rein guitars in as much as I've heard them played and researched his unique build features, tho I've never had the pleasure of laying hands to one.

* Lovely playing as always Larry and I enjoyed your music and videos.

** Congrats on your fine instrument, I've been intrigued by Thomas Rein guitars ever since I heard Brian Rankin play them a few years ago. They are very musical, yet they don't clutter the melody and your precise technique really brings that out. Nice presence in those walking bass notes too! They have some unique build features, and yours looks beautiful. Cheers and joyful 2018 wishes!

eric alabiso

I can't say "thanks" enough time for all the kind words offered (on behalf of myself, and Tom)...so thanks, Eric...!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop