The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Retro Monels on Eastman AR810

I have an all acoustic non cutaway 810 archtop. I had been following string suggestions and followed up by getting medium Retro Monels for mine. I had a hard time getting the kind of sound out of it with other strings. I want to say thanks for the advice, I find the Retro's a really, really good fit for this guitar. I had been wanting to sell it but now I'm thinking it's a keeper. Weird, I know, but it seemed to have a harsh sound with the bronze strings, but now it's warmer sounding. More like I imagined an archtop sounding like. Unfortunately, I'm not all that good at playing jazz but I can play through the chord progressions pretty well and it does sound nice, but it also seems to sound nice playing country and old timey gospel stuff which I do play a lot of.
Anyway, just a shout out for the good advice.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:25 AM

I've had the same positive experience with the Retros as you though I'm using light gauge on my old Gretsch Model 35 acoustic archtop. The strings give the guitar a warm and full sound not shrill like with PBs.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
...I find the Retro's a really, really good fit for this guitar....it seemed to have a harsh sound with the bronze strings, but now it's warmer sounding. More like I imagined an archtop sounding like. Unfortunately, I'm not all that good at playing jazz but I can play through the chord progressions pretty well and it does sound nice, but it also seems to sound nice playing country and old timey gospel stuff which I do play a lot of...
- and people say that archtops lack versatility...
Old 11-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Smile

Agreed, they were traditionally played with all kinds of music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops