The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I've got a couple of ukes. Mainly bought them to support my wife who took up playing the uke when she saw the pleasure I was having with my guitar.

Don't play the ukes as I'm still guitar crazy. I regularly spruke the uke to others as it's so much easier to get started playing and so much of what you learn can be taken to the guitar.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
I found this prize in a thrift store for $14.00 heh heh heh .

Aloha :

HR

Looks like the only thing on it not made of koa is the tuners!
Beautiful! You got a great deal...
Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Oh yeah.......love me some ukuleles!

A Kiwaya 90th Anniversary Koa Soprano.......one of 30 or so built.....

....and a Gibson Style 3 from the late 1920s, strung with natural gut.....

Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Kamaka Soprano model HF-1 ... bought new 1979 at the base store at Pearl Harbor for $52.
Not $14 ... but $52 ain't bad considering today's MSRP is $995.
http://www.kamakahawaii.com/instruments.html

The Koa on the the top looks like a tiger.

Nice flame Koa neck.

I can't find a SN anywhere on it.

Does anyone know who made these tuners?
After almost 40 years they are still nice and smooth and can deliver minute pitch adjustments.

Inside of pamphlet it came with.

Still have the price tag.

Last edited by Tico; 03-13-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:55 PM

I had a uke custom built for me, all mahogany, lefty. I've not played it much, however, as it confuses me....switching from guitar to uke and back again. The uke is tuned as most ukes are. I suppose I could get it reset so that the four strings are the same as the four high strings on the guitar, so that fingering would be the same from uke to guitar, but I was advised not to....would lose the charm of the uke, or some such rationale.

Tell me, uke players, are yours tuned the way most ukes are: "My dog has fleas" or.....? And how do you avoid getting confused switching from guitar to uke, if tuning is different? (OK, I know that lots of folks play mando and guitar and banjo and such....I am not that advanced! )

I saw Jake Shimabukuro in concert a week or so ago. That guy blazes on his uke! And he plays a kind of hybrid fingerstyle + strumming. It was amazing. I am learning fingerstyle on guitar and want to do the same on my uke. Someday!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo

Last edited by EllaMom; 03-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 PM

I dabble on my Mainland mahogany concert Uke.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Yes I love guitars, ukuleles, and guitarleles (guitalele or guilele).

I clicked on your guitalele link and the song you did was just beautiful.
My husband wants to try a guitalele. He's the uke player in the house. Maybe I'll show him your vid for inspiration.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM

I started playing the uke about a year ago, Pono Acacia tenor. Joined a uke club for awhile and just about quit playing the guitar. It's opened up another whole repetroie of songs for me. Lots of jazzy chords I have trouble playing on the guitar. Get the Daily Ukulele books and spend some time on http://ukuleleunderground.com and your on your way.

Check this out:

https://youtu.be/ALTKER_NkX0
Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Ellamom, funny you should mention it: last night was first time playing uke with guitarists, and several times, as I'm watching my friends guitar-chord changes and having to translate and keep up on uke....my brain hurt! I'd see a D shape, but then realize "doh, that's a G" on uke, and make a barre chord F shape, and oops, that's B flat. I could feel new neuronal connections being made by bushwhacking through my brain

And yes, I'm using the standard GCEA tuning (high G)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM

I have dabbled in ukulele as well, though I personally find them highly specialized. I think it might just be me, but the tone of the Ukulele and the mellow(ness) has it's place and it seems hard for me to deviate from mellow songs. I have a banjo uke by deering which is a fantastic instrument. It's a concert scale, and has a standard banjo pot 11in I think which lends itself to a deeper more resonant tone versus other banjoleles. I highly recommend them if you are looking for something different. Loud loud loud.

Uke is great for grab and go. I take mine camping, to the park, beach, etc.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 PM

I play ukulele for several years before moving to guitar. I began with no musical background, so the uke allowed me to learn the basics of music on a simple instrument. I learned a lot from the good folks over at UU. I found many of the skills I learned on the uke to be quite transferrable when I started guitar. If I didn't learn the basics on the ukulele, I don't think I would have had the confidence to try guitar.

They each have their advantages. I love the sound options I have my guitar. A nice solid wood uke is a lot less expensive than a comparable guitar so they are easier to collect.

For some reason, when the real hot humid weather hits, I feel more like playing the uke. I think one of the best things about the ukulele, is that it allows people like me, who know nothing about music, access to making music and feeling groovy.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 PM

I play a Lanikai baritone Ukulele and I chose the baritone because it is tuned like the top four strings of a guitar. I know that some don't really consider the baritone to be a real ukulele but it works for me. As an added bonus, it turned out to be a dandy little travel guitar! I took it up originally so I could take a uke class with my wife. My wife wanted to take up a musical instrument because I play guitar and our two daughters guitar and banjo respectively and she wanted to play with us. My wife had never played a musical instrument (other than a triangle) before and the ukulele was the perfect instrument for her. She is now hooked and so excited that she is creating music.
We are members of a Uke group and play all over the place; festivals, nursing homes, farmer's markets, etc. It is great fun for us and have made many new friends. That seems to be the thing about the ukulele is it is a social instrument and is just flat out fun!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeboma View Post
Just curious.....avid guitarist here, picked up a uke (and then of course bought two: a longneck soprano, and a tenor) about a month ago, and man am I loving them. My guitars have not been feeling the love, but I'm sure I'll get back to them eventually. I've run into 2 people in the last week who said "I used to play guitar until I found uke".....just wondering about others here. I'm finding it so darn fun, and versatile, easy to sing to, and boy did it add another dimension to my usually-3-guitar jam sessions with friends last night!

I'm also finding that uke-strumming has brought something new to my guitar strumming~~a little more zest and creatively. Funny what having a small body and 2-fewer strings can free you up to do!
I recently bought a concert uke, kind of cheap but delivers a big sound.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 PM

Cool Kanaka Keeper Kamaka Ukulele

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Looks like the only thing on it not made of koa is the tuners!
Beautiful! You got a great deal...
Yes I'd say I really lucked out on this one . It's light as a feather . Has that old time Hawaii sound too .

I'll be using it in my recordings with my 000 resonator , dreadnought and 000 nylon guitar soon .
  • The resonator is mahogany ( more than likely from the Philippines )
  • The Kamama Hawaiian Koa ( a type of mahogany )
  • The single cutaway dreadnought is Madagascar rosewood
  • The nylon single cutaway is cocobolo ( another type of rosewood )

My electric's body&neck are solid Honduran mahogany w/a maple top .

Never dreamed I'd own such nice musical instruments , I am so happy with this collection .

I'm going to enjoy the contrasting sounds these instruments make together along with acoustic harmonica ( both diatonic and chromatic ) , tomorrow I expect a visit from Mr. UPS

Except for the nylon , all the others were gifts from my late wife to me .

They are each really fine playing and sounding instruments . I can't help but think of her with them around , she loved to hear them when I'd practice and or serenade her .

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 PM

Cool Nice Deal Bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Kamaka Soprano model HF-1 ... bought new 1979 at the base store at Pearl Harbor for $52. Not $14 ... but $52 ain't bad considering today's MSRP is $995. ]
Sure is nice when you nail a sweet deal congrats !

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments