The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-15-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
This guy has all the money in the world and he uses blankets and quilts too...
No matter how much you twist your examples that seemingly promote blankets from Harbor Frieght are the answer, they are without doubt not. I'm bettin that room has 20 years worth of tuning, floor floating, custom dimensional work, material experiments and probably any number of sophisticated electronic analysis. Because he's built a tent for a particular project doesn't fly the flag of "blankets are what one needs for room treatment". I'm sure if you ask him if he could sonically be satisfied in a closet with blankets he'd laugh. I bettin he's got a half million in room treatment.

Honestly I don't mind one digging their head in the sand when it comes to fundamentals. That's your choice and I think many here been have patient in doing their best to point you towards a more fundamental path. Learning things correctly does take a modicum of commitment and the path there takes time and invested energy. It certainly doesn't come free and it absolutely can't be bought and without doubt can't be bought at Harbor Frieght But I'm doubting that mind set is gonna get much traction here and it's particularly not helpful for those just getting started that might have more of an open mind when it comes to learning.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 09-15-2016 at 10:55 AM. Reason: 2nd grade spelling skills
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Speaking of rooms, check out this video which show's Dr Luke's (Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Kesha, Kelly Clarkson) tent booth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWK...youtu.be&t=50s

This guy has all the money in the world and he uses blankets and quilts too...
This made me curious so I looked into it further and there are a ton of theories but one thing to keep in mind is that he's already in a treated sound stage, not a dry-walled bedroom in the suburbs. My recording room is untreated and I know treating it would be the biggest bang for my buck and that just blankets wouldn't do it for me.

I'm glad you are enjoying your monitors. I've thought about getting some monitors but realized I need to treat the room for THAT too so I decided to put the money towards guitar lessons. Better playing will make my recordings sound far better than a better recording environment and equipment.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 AM

So what is so awful about this sound test recording ??

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

This was made in my living room with the Auralex Mud Guard set up I have.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
This made me curious so I looked into it further and there are a ton of theories but one thing to keep in mind is that he's already in a treated sound stage, not a dry-walled bedroom in the suburbs. My recording room is untreated and I know treating it would be the biggest bang for my buck and that just blankets wouldn't do it for me.

I'm glad you are enjoying your monitors. I've thought about getting some monitors but realized I need to treat the room for THAT too so I decided to put the money towards guitar lessons. Better playing will make my recordings sound far better than a better recording environment and equipment.
Apparently the fact that the little tent is inside what is actually already a purpose built audio recording room not to mention the control room, seems to have been missed. As Joseph pointed the rooms will have 100,s of thousands of dollars invested in specific design and treatment.

While there is no question the better the player the better the recording. That said, underestimating the value of or not understanding what constitutes "Proper" treatment is arguably one of the biggest mistakes by home recordists.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While there is no question the better the player the better the recording. That said, underestimating the value of or not understanding what constitutes "Proper" treatment is arguably one of the biggest mistakes by home recordists.
Oh, I get it. I've worked in acoustics labs for years. I'm just say for ME recording ME.

Someday I'll get there.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:41 AM

Having 100's of thousands of dollars of room treatments would become null with all those blankets isolating the actual performance from the room. I was surprised to see that. I also freeze framed the video to get a good look at his control room.....NS-10's with speakers sitting next to them that look surprisingly like HS8 with black speakers. I'm not sure what they are, but they appear to be the same size as the HS8's.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Having 100's of thousands of dollars of room treatments would become null with all those blankets isolating the actual performance from the room. I was surprised to see that. I also freeze framed the video to get a good look at his control room.....NS-10's with speakers sitting next to them that look surprisingly like HS8 with black speakers. I'm not sure what they are, but they appear to be the same size as the HS8's.
"null" No not really, the only thing blankets and (most foam) will actually do treatment wise, is (depending on the actual material used ) slightly diffuse some the very upper mid's and or hi's.
They will have no effect on the mids and lows particularly any standing waves nulls or buildups present (yet often undetectable by ear) in all untreated enclosed spaces , which frequencies BTW are arguably the most important to control. Thus the rest of that room still plays significantly into the recording sound.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 09-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Well if the room treatment in that room is so good, why does he have the blankets there ?? Hint, because they work.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Here's the frequency response chart of the NS-10....

how does one draw a frequency response chart?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well if the room treatment in that room is so good, why does he have the blankets there ?? Hint, because they work.
"Because they work" is a vague statement, which does nothing to negate the value of that room. The blankets obviously do what do (already explained in my other post) AND they also do not do what they do not do.
Putting a bunch of over stuffed furniture in that room will have an effect also. But neither replaces or in any fashion should be thought of as bing in lieu of the value of good room design and treatment.

Speculating on his reasoning is well, speculation , there are literally
thousands of possibilities for why.
Perhaps on that song he wants to do something different or dramatic with EQ in highs, and wants that effect to be a bit more separated from the the rooms high end response.
Perhaps he wants to highlight the upper mid or high end with a dramatic Reverb effect in those frequencies and again wants to have that effect predominate over the room response
Etc, etc, etc, etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 AM

perhaps he's trying to create a space for the singer to feel cozy in.

also, it appears the singer looks out toward to open side, and doesn't face the blankets.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
You are correct. They absolutely do work on the frequencies where they have an effect . However, they absolutely do nothing on the frequencies where they have no effect. As you point out about your monitors, different frequency responses can have noticeable effects. In that case, the blankets effect the high frequencies and with a big room like that, I'm guessing the high frequency reflections are pretty low anyway. It gets much closer to a free-field environment.

As has also been pointed out, different "frequency responses" of rooms can be pleasant or not. Historically, folks have recorded in all kinds of weird places simply because they like how it sounds. In my line of work, we push really hard for a 'flat' response and I expect recording folks do the same. From there, it's much easier to EQ the differences that you want.

Now, if you are happy with the sound you are getting in your room, have at it. I tried to listen to the recording you posted but it's not working for some reason. That's probably OK because it would just be playing on ear buds over my cell phone.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
how does one draw a frequency response chart?
Apparently it was a joke, but even still, it's pretty accurate. No low end, rolls off at about 100 hertz, 5 db bump in the midrange, drops off at about 16 K hertz...looks pretty accurate to me.

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 AM

Dude, my studio is a home studio, not a professional grade studio. I don't have a big budget to work with. I do what I can with the funds that are available.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

BTW for clarification the monitors in that video , standing up beside the NS10's are Genelec 1032 A's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD