The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:38 PM

I'd say you boys made a good decision on which maple billet to go with. I'm sure it will look and sound wonderful, as pretty much all of Bruce's guitars do! :-)

I've always loved this "Antiqued" OO Euro Spruce/Big Leaf Maple guitar Bruce built a few years back. If I played right handed, I'd be all over it!!! It truly is a beautiful piece of art, that just so happens to sing so sweetly when caressed just right...

Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

I think that is an absolutely a lovely guitar. I believe that has been living at George Gruhn's. Looking for an owner. I know that some of the antique finishing techniques came from a friend n' neighbor master violin luthier. I think that you'll see some similar elements in this one albeit a bit of a different beast.

http://guitars.com/inventory/am7247-...aluma-ca-ft-00

I am amazed that no one has snatched it up this spec. guitar. I can only attribute it being available still to the strong preconceptions that exist in the guitar community as to how maple sounds vs. glassy tropical hardwoods sound or look (many tend to hear with their eyes...notice Taylor is now dark staining their new maple guitars!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyprs View Post
I'd say you boys made a good decision on which maple billet to go with. I'm sure it will look and sound wonderful, as pretty much all of Bruce's guitars do! :-)

I've always loved this "Antiqued" OO Euro Spruce/Big Leaf Maple guitar Bruce built a few years back. If I played right handed, I'd be all over it!!! It truly is a beautiful piece of art, that just so happens to sing so sweetly when caressed just right...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-17-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Ii meant to say hear not see...
Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

I am amazed that no one has snatched it up this spec. guitar. I can only attribute it being available still to the strong preconceptions that exist in the guitar community as to how maple sounds vs. glassy tropical hardwoods sound or look (many tend to see with their eyes...notice Taylor is now dark staining their new maple guitars!).

Agreed...maple is a much maligned wood. IMHO a good maple guitar is an amazing experience, and the beauty of figured maple is equaled only by a few other species.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

The maple artifact at George's is one of my top favorite all time pieces. It looks fantastic to me and when played it is impossible to believe that it is as new as it actually is, the sound is full and lush as a '30's guitar would be expected to be. George picked it up from me at NAMM two years ago and chose not to have a case as he carried it on when he flew home. As with any of my guitars, I will supply any case I can get for it at my actual cost, and usually that will be significantly under what joe average (most readers, not that I don't think you are well above average) would pay.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

At my request, Bruce glued up the back set and put the flame a bit on the bias downward toward the lower bout to create a nice chevron effect. I think it looks great! We are still playing around with the cutaway profile.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Love the maple. Going to be stunning. Keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Having built so many guitars, and continuing to do so, on this forum I am not running out of stuff to talk about anytime soon!

I have run into a stumbling block on the JZ/2, which is that the machine I depend on to make my end blocks (Delta 6 x 48 sander) won't spin up, the motor just buzzes. Being the week-end I'll have to wait till Monday to even begin to address it. I got out several motors I have in the bin, but none is going to work w/o some part or other, nor are any the magic mix of HP and RPM.

So I am putting some time into the Memphis Mini-D. I got the thickness sander marks off and the back strip in. I am going with Snakewood trim, which I haven't done for some time, years perhaps, though it used to be my norm. One of the nice things about quartered material is that the inside is close to identical to the outside.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 PM

That is really a nice back....I think under finish it will really pop with the snakewood...Geez it is almost like you know what your doing!!!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Man -- is not that little Antique OO Maple guitar the coolest thing ever. Bruce, I love watching your build threads -- you just know how to build awesome guitars !!!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just before I passed this maple artifact off to George on Sunday at NAMM, a guy played it who has been nuts about it ever since. He was a night watchman at the event, an Anaheim homicide detective by day, and technically he probably shouldn't have touched the guitar. But he did, and he has paid a price ever since because it is financially out of reach for him, and he is jonesing. I hear from him several times a year. He is retiring in a couple of weeks, and it is now or never.

Today I buffed out 2014's last Sexauer. I date them from when I start, not when I finish. The label goes in long before they're done as does the neck block, both of which carry the date. Hopefully I'll hear this before the week is out, though I already do hear it quite clearly in my mind, and it is a good one . . . again.

German Spruce

Pernambuco

Cocobolo

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-20-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Multitasking...

It appears as if Bruce was multitasking today...

Aside from finishing work on the Pernambuco L-00 shown above, he was busy doing some hot pipe, freeform bending of some curly Bigleaf Maple sides. Working without molds, Bruce is free to adjust his body profiles subtly. This body is slightly different to allow for a graceful resolution to the carved back. Working without molds offers these advantages when doing custom work I suppose. I also see that the third level of the top bracing has been installed since I last saw the top along with a bridge plate (I am guessing it's Jatoba, but Bruce will likely chime in).

Old 01-21-2015, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Note to Bob: the sides are gluing to the blocks, pics when the clamps come off!

But most of my effort today, so far, has gone into the Pernambuco L-00; Neck was glued on yesterday before supper. Today I have inlaid and fretted the finger board and installed the (Schertler "gold") tuners. I expect to make and glue on a bridge, hoping to actually put on strings tomorrow.

Looks like I'll have to make a nut, too.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's something amusing I haven't done before. So you don't have to guess, it's a Pernambuco bridge. I fumbled the drill on the b string hole, but it will come out in the wash.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Here you can see Bruce's method of creating top to side linings by a traditional Spanish construction method. Instead of continuous strips of kerfed linings to attach the top to the sides, he uses individual blocks that are called "peone" (or little thing in Spanish). I have to admit, I am not used to seeing sides that are almost as light as a spruce top (used to seeing tropical hardwoods I guess)!

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-21-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop