The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Exclamation Nasal

So I recently just rigged up my Martin D18 GE with a Fishman Neo-D pickup. Given that the pickup is passive, I also grabbed an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI Preamp to give it a little spice. Now, I am getting this really funky nasal tone from the higher strings - in particular the B string. It's very similar to the bridge position pickup on a Les Paul with the tone knob rolled all the way down. Any input? I've messed around with the EQ on the L.R. Baggs and nothing seems to fix it. Is it just the nature of my setup? Please help!
Will
Taylor 110e
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillHuber27 View Post
So I recently just rigged up my Martin D18 GE with a Fishman Neo-D pickup. Given that the pickup is passive, I also grabbed an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI Preamp to give it a little spice. Now, I am getting this really funky nasal tone from the higher strings - in particular the B string. It's very similar to the bridge position pickup on a Les Paul with the tone knob rolled all the way down. Any input? I've messed around with the EQ on the L.R. Baggs and nothing seems to fix it. Is it just the nature of my setup? Please help!
Will
You're using a magnetic pickup, the same as an electric guitar uses. Mags have many nice qualities, but they do tend to sound like an electric guitar, especially the b string. Not much you can do to eq it, tho cutting the mids may help a little.
Some pricier mags let you adjust each string, which helps with the tendency for the b string to be hotter, (but this doesn't affect the tone, per se)' but the neo-d has fixed poll pieces

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
electric, pickup