The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM

I will be taking the PCM92 back to the dealer for them to test to see if it works properly. I suspect that it doesn't, but who knows. All I know is that my MPX550 works like a charm when I connect it up in a similar fashion.

sdelsolray, I really appreciate your patience and assistance, including anyone else who posted here.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Aren't there internal "global" input and output settings on the pcm92??
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Aren't there internal "global" input and output settings on the pcm92??
Yes, there is an audio source setup submenu that includes a global setting that configures the PCM92 to accept ANALOG or AES input. It allows you to choose the input/output levels, +4dBU or -10dBU. I used the analog i/o's at +4dBU. Tomorrow, I will try the AES to SPDIF connectors to see if that will work.

This is what the manual says:

Analog Setup
The Analog Setup sub-menu lets you adjust the following parameters:
Analog Input Level - Increases or decreases the incoming analog signal
before it reaches the processor(s). Set to +4dBU or –10dBU.
Analog Output Level - Increases or decreases the outgoing analog signal
after it leaves the processor(s). Set to +4dBU or –10dBU.
Analog Type IVTM - Enable or disable the Type IV conversion system
here. The dbx® Type IV Conversion System is a proprietary analogto-
digital (A/D) conversion process that combines the best attributes
of digital conversion and analog recording processes to preserve the
essence of the analog signal when it is converted to a digital format.
Global Mute - Mutes all signals from the PCM92. Set to Muted or
Unmuted.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM

My cables came today.

I am trying to properly connect the PCM92 to my Computer sound card to be able to add effects to my tracks.

Here is my setup:

I connected the PCM92(effects processor) to my PC sound card, the E-MU 1212m, using AES i/o to SPDIF i/o on the sound card. Problem is, because the cables are AES to S/PDIF, it makes it confusing to know how to select the proper settings.

PCM92 settings are as follows: Audio Source: AES
Clock Source: AES
Clock Rate: 48KHz (NoLock) Why doesn't it lock?

My sound card settings are as follows: Internal/External Source is set to External Source (not sure if this should be Internal)
I/O's chioces are: PCI Card Optical Input (ADAT + Coax S/PDIF or S/PDIF(coax disabled)) I'm not sure which of these I should select.
PCI Card Optical Output (ADAT = Coax S/PDIF or S/PDIF) Not sure which to choose
S/PDIF Output Format (S/PDIF or AES/EBU) Not sure which one to select

Both the PCM92 and the PC sound card are set to 48KHz

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-10-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Rick,

I thought you were using a M-Audio Profire as your computer interface. WHy do you want to connect the Lexicon to a soundcard?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

sdelsolray,

I just connected up the pcm92 to the Profire and it worked like a charm!

As far as why I connected it to the other PC, I was just entertaining that as an optional setup.

Moving forward: Now that I am connected to the Profire, I need help figuring out how to add effects to each track.

It is confusing to me because there are two software interfaces to consider, Reaper and Profire.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
sdelsolray,

I just connected up the pcm92 to the Profire and it worked like a charm!

As far as why I connected it to the other PC, I was just entertaining that as an optional setup.

Moving forward: Now that I am connected to the Profire, I need help figuring out how to add effects to each track.

It is confusing to me because there are two software interfaces to consider, Reaper and Profire.
Rick,

You insert either (i) software plugins or (ii) outboard units connected to your DAW digitally to either (i) individual tracks, (ii) master mixing bus or (iii) auxiliary bus/track (from and to which you send and return).
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks sdelsolray.

Inserting software plugins was always very simple. I would just select the effect, adjust to taste, save the file, and that was that. I have no idea how to apply effects to each track from an outboard source. Any suggestions that would assist in making this happen would be most appreciated. In the meantime, it will be trial and error.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks sdelsolray.

Inserting software plugins was always very simple. I would just select the effect, adjust to taste, save the file, and that was that. I have no idea how to apply effects to each track from an outboard source. Any suggestions that would assist in making this happen would be most appreciated. In the meantime, it will be trial and error.
Its basically the same process, at least as far as connectivity goes. You only have one "instance" of the PCM92 (assuming stereo, dual mono or other PCM92 2 channel routings). You cannot save the parameter settings in your DAW (but you can save the parameter settings within the PCM92.

Regarding reverb, you can apply the same reverb to all tracks, either invidually, or by first mixing all your tracks and inserting the reverb on the mix bus. Some folks apply one reverb to the guitar and a similar, but slightly different reverb, to the voice. This technique can put the guitar "behind" the voice in the soundstage. Also, study up on bussing to an auxiliary input. It's easy to go overboard with the possibilities. Experimentation will help you learn the skills. Nothing will break, so try different things. Realism is the thing to strive for.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 AM

sdelsolray,

I figured out how to insert effects with the use of a VST plugin that comes with Reaper. Now how do I record the tracks with the effects?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
sdelsolray,

I figured out how to insert effects with the use of a VST plugin that comes with Reaper. Now how do I record the tracks with the effects?
The general rule is that you don't add effects while tracking (i.e., recording). You add them afterwards during mixing.

But if you want to add effects while you are recording then:

a) mics==>preamp==>analog inputs of Lexicon then analog outputs of Lexicon==>UA2192 converters==>M-Audio; or

b) mics==>preamp==>analog inputs of Lexicon then digital outputs of Lexicon==>M-Audio.

Option "b" will only work if the Lexicon allows you to have analog inputs and digital outputs at the same time. Dunno if it does or not.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM

I don't want to add effects while tracking/recording. I want to add effects after. That is the problem I need help with. I recorded the guitar tracks first. I just need to know how to actually rerecord the effects into the tracks. I can play back the tracks with the effects added, but how do I make the effects stick?

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't want to add effects while tracking/recording. I want to add effects after. That is the problem I need help with. I recorded the guitar tracks first. I just need to know how to actually rerecord the effects into the tracks. I can play back the tracks with the effects added, but how do I make the effects stick?
Understood. I was confused.

Burn the mix to disk, or create a stereo track and record the previously recorded tracks into the new stereo track.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 PM

How can I burn more than two tracks at a time if I burn straight to a disk? I only have two channels with effects. I usually have at least 3 tracks in my recordings, 2 for guitar, one for vocals, sometimes more.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How can I burn more than two tracks at a time if I burn straight to a disk? I only have two channels with effects. I usually have at least 3 tracks in my recordings, 2 for guitar, one for vocals, sometimes more.
Add a stereo master fader to your session file. All other non-muted tracks will be routed to the stereo master fader. Insert the Lexicon on the master fader bus, along with any other inserts you desire. Burn to disk.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD