The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 PM

Default How long for high tension strings to break in?

I recently changed the strings on my Yamaha G-160, and decided to go with high tension. Usual string was regular tension, but they felt a little floppy.

Action is lower, but no buzz.

Been 3 days and the tuning isn't stabilized yet.

Formerly the regular tension would stretch out during the first 24 hours then not change that much.

Wondering when they'll not need to be tuned up again...
Old 10-22-2017, 01:05 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I haven't been playing a lot the last few years, but when I was playing a lot it could be a week or two before a string set really settled down. And then two weeks later, time for a string change - or at least a partial update to get rid of the 'dullards'. Good times....
Old 10-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Guest 2143

I have used strings of various tensions and have not found that higher tension strings take longer to stabilize than lower tension strings. Even after they stabilize, they have needed to be tuned on my guitar. It is just not nearly as much once they stabilize.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:02 AM

Default Depends

I do not see a difference between normal and high tension sets.

I always tune before I play, even when I play 2,3 or more times a day... it's the first thing I do when I pick up the guitar... it only takes a minute....

I play for an hour or more every day and it usually takes about 3 days before the strings are settled.

After that just the daily tweaks that are needed for different temperature & humidity... etc...

If the guitar does not have a built in tuner then I use a soundhole tuner. I have several and just leave them installed in the guitar. These work great and are quite accurate.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...4MF-adType^PLA
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 AM

I'm probably just not used to them, but it seems like it's taking a whole lot more effort to turn the buttons than before. Higher tension sure, but I'm talking feels like triple or more effort.

Even sort of broke my Planet Waves string winder stringing it. Screw came loose that holds on the part that the button fits into. A little dab of clear epoxy sorted that out. Didn't want to use anything that would soften the plastic (CA, model glue).

And when I say tune up it actually goes flat at least a step.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Guest 2143

It sounds like something is wrong. I have tried strings of various tensions and have not noticed any difference in effort required to turn tuning pegs. What strings did you use before and which higher tension ones are you using now?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Make sure your tuning machines aren't loose - the screw holding the tuning button on should be flush and the button shouldn't wiggle at all (with the string off or at least with no tension on it). All the other screws holding the gears in place should also be snugged up. I've had a very beat up old classical go loose in the tuning machines, but as long as the holes aren't stripped it's a super easy fix. Even if the holes are a bit loose, it's fixable. But this sort of thing is more likely loose tuning machine bits than the type of string you're using. I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical