The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Best beginner guitar is a good guitar.
Best way to assure a beginner does not learn is get him/her a crumby guitar.
I bought a neighbor..kid..a $300 guitar which was the best guitar I could find,new for the money..no case included.
And I dont think such a guitar is really good enough.
Probably the best guitar for the least money is an electric Fender Stratocaster American Standard..used. If I could not afford that Id look for a beat up one that
can be had for less that has a perfect neck..looks dont matter.
I agree on the quality-to-price ratio on a used American strat. However, I can't agree with the characterization of low-end strats (new Squiers or used Mexican strats) as crummy or not good enough for a beginner. Twenty years ago, perhaps, but today's Squiers, Mex strats, and may other budget brands have great necks, smooth fretwork, decent pickups, and relatively buzz-free action. The tuners are probably the weakest link.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 AM

I agree. I've bought my fair share of inexpensive guitars and usually a tweak of the truss rod and some new strings makes them playable.

I'm not a whammy bar player and agree that the tremolo systems on the inexpensive guitars probably won't stay in tune like a more expensive one.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Default Squier Tele

Get an affinity series Squier Tele
(Fender Squier Telecaster)
(some incorrectly spell it Squire)
I have one, with a solid maple neck,
and it is great. I bought it used but
like-new, for only $125
Old 11-15-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Be careful of the low budge Epiphones if you go for an LP clone - Epi quality is really hit-or-miss these days.
Check out the deals at guitarfetish.com - these Chinese knockoffs can be surprisingly good, but a good set-up is usually needed on new ones. You rarely see these used anywhere, because people keep them!

The 'package' deals for beginners usually are not very good deals at all, so you'll probalby do better picking up an amp and guitar separately.
Thanks for your best information.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 AM

This is an easy one for me. Take you pick from any of the guitars in the Squire Classic Vibe series. Amazing instruments.
Voyage-Air Transit Series VAOM-02
Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline
Custom Built Reliced Strat
Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverland View Post
...Trying to keep cost under about $250 if at all possible, but would love to hear everyone's feedback...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
...There are really just 2 requirements (and a few options).

1. You like the way it looks
2. It intonates, plays, and stays in tune.

Optional:

a. It holds its value so you can offload it when you make up your mind later
b. It is versatile for exploring a lot of different genres.

Through a cheap amp, all guitars sound the same. You should look for a nicer amp, and worry less about the guitar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Best beginner guitar is a good guitar. Best way to assure a beginner does not learn is get him/her a crummy guitar. I bought a neighbor kid a $300 guitar which was the best guitar I could find new for the money...no case included. And I dont think such a guitar is really good enough...
I concur with most of the above, with a few qualifications:

Since you have an acoustic guitar to work with, you don't "need" an electric guitar right now; as Athana states, you don't want a guitar just for the sake of having a guitar, only to have things go sour - I'll be the first to tell that there's a lot that can go wrong even on the best instruments - and although there's some great stuff to be had in the lower price brackets it's also a hit-or-miss proposition in many cases. If you're prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince(ss) - and you know exactly what you're looking at/for (see Pualee's #2 above) - there are some nice pieces to be had in the $300-500 bracket (new) from many of the major makers; in my own half-century of experience as a player and teacher it's just too much of a crap shoot below that mark, and as a relative newbie I'd strongly recommend the security of a factory warranty in case anything does go south on you - it took most of us years before we could properly evaluate a used instrument, and I've long since learned not to take a salesperson's word in this regard...

Pualee also makes a good point about amplifiers - simply put, set aside a separate budget and buy the best you can afford. While modeling rigs unquestionably have their place in recording studios (home or otherwise) and cover bands (FWIW I've yet to see any semi-pro/professional touring act that uses them) I'd recommend a minimum of bells and whistles at this early stage; concentrate on learning the building blocks of good tone - pre/power amp gain, EQ settings, speaker size/type/number, interaction between guitar and amp controls, etc. - first, and consider effects icing on the cake. The aforementioned Fender Frontman 25R is a good starting point, with enough power for home practice or small club gigs, and at $99 (while they last - they were discontinued over a year ago) it won't make too big a dent in your wallet; if you want to go with tubes - the Holy Grail of tone for most long-time players - there are some low/mid-powered rigs in the $300-500 range, my personal favorite being the Bugera V22 1x12" combo: 15/22W switchable, two-channel/mid-boost, reverb, and more tone than you're supposed to get for ~$350...

My point: don't rush, shop around, and ask us if you need suggestions/advice - do it right the first time and you'll be happier in the long run...
Old 11-15-2014, 11:52 AM

I agree with Steve and add the following.

I hope you have a coach or a good friend that a lot of years of experience playing. If so take them with you when you are ready to purchase. They can point out any concerns you might miss on both guitar and amp. Every player has their own preferences, likes, dislikes and biases. Play as many guitars you can find in local shops until you find one that feels and sounds right to you.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
beginner, electric