The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Composite Acoustics (CA) - few quick queries

For those of you who played a few CA guitars, a few quick questions if you don't mind. (By the way, it's been a pleasure reading through so many of your posts after being away so many years from the guitar scene....THANKS!

1. Did you find significant tonal improvements from the redesigned 2007 models as compared to the pre-redesign 2005 and earlier models?

2. Have you played 2 or 3 of the exact same models side by side at one location? Is there real differences in tone between the same model or does their manufacturing material and approach produce 99% consistency of tone?

3. Anyone picked up one of these and now use these are your primary instrument acoustically even though you have other nicer handmades? I doubt that but the question bears asking. A bit curious.

I did a search and found surprisingly few posts about these instruments.

Thanks! What a great forum.

PTL
Old 02-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I have a CA and Collings. The CA is the "woodiest" of the composites. A great sound of its own, on par with a stock D28 or similar Taylor, but not a Collings. That said, it's the most played guitar in the house because it sits happily out on a stand no matter how wet, dry, hot or cold the house happens to be.

Haven't played the 2007's, but have played multiple 2005's, and think minor tone differences come from set-up (neck angle, break angle, string selection) as opposed to materials. Some were clearly better, and my guess is that the new factory has tighter QA.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Thank you. Yes, asking not because I expect they exceed better wood instruments - but because they travel well and can sit in the house unmolested by humidity changes.

PTL
Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Have you taken a look at the all-graphite guitars, the Rainsong?

Seems to have garnered guite good reviews and opinions from what I can see on the internet.

I am very intrigued and, if resources permit, would look at them.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 PM

I have one of the new COT models.

A great sound, IMO . . . and if I were somebody who toured a lot, I'd probably use one just to avoid the problems associated with temperatures and humidity issues.

I imagine that their consistency has to be better than wooden guitars.

I also happened to try one of the Rainsongs the other day at a GuitarCenter . . sounded pretty nice, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber