The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Selling my Style 1 in the Classifieds.

No fancy wood (just Cedar/Hog), but the sound blows my mind every time I play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_w0kgfTpI

2016 Taylor 712ce 12-Fret - Lutz Spruce/ Rosewood
2013 Bourgeois BK Slope D Sitka/Hog
2008 R Taylor Style 2 Cedar/Hog - SOLD
Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM

Can't wait for that D.Martin to come out. kidding.....
Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 AM

btw it's true....

i hear they still offer cocobo on R.taylors...

I guess thats the only way to get cocobolo on new taylors...
Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
btw it's true....

i hear they still offer cocobo on R.taylors...

I guess thats the only way to get cocobolo on new taylors...
Which Shop did you go? one in Korea?~

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM

yea there is this one shop here that is known for high end guitars. The price was almost double what it would cost in America because of the import tax.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
yea there is this one shop here that is known for high end guitars. The price was almost double what it would cost in America because of the import tax.
oh you mean guitar shop in Seo Cho dong?

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM

yea the place in gangnam. You have to wear a bibs. -____-;;

btw you ever hear of a guitar company called gwood? made by a lutheier.....
Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Hey, steady on there, chief!

Firstly, 'to pull something off' in no way suggests anything underhand or dishonest, and nor was it intended that way. It simply means 'to be successful at something despite the odds'.

Secondly, I have nothing against Taylors and have one on order right now. That said, for a guy who is universally know as 'Bob' Taylor to label his special stuff as 'R' Taylor does smack of pomposity. It sounds a bit like a boss who insists on being called by his first name on social occasions and by Mr. ... in the office. 'Robert' is the loftier, more formal version of 'Bob', and although Bob Taylor himself seems to be a delightful guy, for me, the choice of 'R. Taylor' as a label for the cream of his crop adds an elitist and, in my view, pompous connotation. 'Bob' Taylor is a guy who hangs around with the guys on the factory floor in a T-shirt and jeans and is photographed jamming with his team (as in one edition of Wood and Steel). 'Robert' Taylor
though, sounds as if he wears thousand dollar suits and expects workers to
doff their caps as he passes.

But as I say, nothing against the guy or his company, just the unfortunate word associations which go with that choice.
Look inside ANY Taylor guitar. It says, ROBERT TAYLOR. I guess he was always pompos. I never knew!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
yea the place in gangnam. You have to wear a bibs. -____-;;

btw you ever hear of a guitar company called gwood? made by a lutheier.....
Yeah you have to wear that..

try woodsound.co.kr .. they carry all the high end guitars..

i know Gwood guitar, they used to work for Cort guitar in the past.~

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

My best friend has a Taylor "Artist" deal, so I've had the chance to play many Taylor guitars - he's had at least 6, maybe more... I was impressed with them all, but still love my Mark Angus, #35, much more. Truth is, when I ordered my Angus in 1979, I played one of Bob Taylor's guitars from Lemon Grove - and I liked Mark's guitars better, so I bought one.

So, this best friend of mine tells me about the R Taylor's, says he's getting one with Brazillian rosewood b/s - and that the guitar retails for around $11k, although his price was much, much less than that!

When he finally got the guitar, I had a chance to spend some time with it, and MAN OH MAN!!!! What a sweet instrument! Amazing sound, brand new; it had the unique quality of sounding really nice when you played it at normal volume or even slightly soft, but the more you dug into it, the more it rang out - didn't just get louder, it was hard to describe... but I could be playing chords, or some pattern - then dig in with a flatpick for some single note stuff, and it JUST SCREAMED TONE!!!

I immediately started lusting after one of my own, lol! If they hadn't run out of that mahoghany from "The Tree", I'd probably have one right now!

R Taylor's are truly "a cut above" the standard Taylor line, without doubt. BTW, the one you played is a "Style" 1... that's the only shape they made, in the beginning. Now they make a Style 2 (slightly smaller) and a Style 3 (dreadnought) - I've heard rumors of an R Taylor Parlour guitar, too.

Heck, for what one pays for a car (which needs repairs and breaks down frequently), the price of an R Taylor ain't so high... especially if you plan on keeping it for a lifetime of playing!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
.......for a guy who is universally know as 'Bob' Taylor to label his special stuff as 'R' Taylor does smack of pomposity. It sounds a bit like a boss who insists on being called by his first name on social occasions and by Mr. ... in the office. 'Robert' is the loftier, more formal version of 'Bob', and although Bob Taylor himself seems to be a delightful guy, for me, the choice of 'R. Taylor' as a label for the cream of his crop adds an elitist and, in my view, pompous connotation.
But as I say, nothing against the guy or his company, just the unfortunate word associations which go with that choice.
You may be reading much more into the name choice than what is really there. I can sort of see where you might get that impression, but frankly you are the first person I've heard from that took the negative or pompous vibe from the R. Taylor name. People named "Robert" routinely use "Bob" and/or "Robert" interchangeably - depending on the circumstances or context. Obviously, Bob Taylor already was using his last name for the Taylor line. He probably wouldn't call the boutique line "Bob's Guitars" . R Taylor seems like an appropriate moniker (at least from my point of view) and really doesn't have any pomposity unless you are inclined to read that into it.

While I'm not currently in the market for a new guitar, I would certainly consider an R Taylor to fill out my acoustic collection. They really are a cut above in my opinion as to tone, playability, fit and finish.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Out of a sense of irony, Bob should offer a line of Skid Pallet guitars under the R Taylor marquee
1986 Yamaha C130 Classical
1984 Westone Electra (electric)
1984 Peavey 130 amplifier
1971 Yamaha FG230 12 string
2014 Ohana SK10S Ukulele
Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM

GJenson, "McPherson MG 5.0 XP (Striped Macassar Ebony/Redwood)"
I am filled with a jealous hatred of you brother! That is an ultimate cause of GAS.
1986 Yamaha C130 Classical
1984 Westone Electra (electric)
1984 Peavey 130 amplifier
1971 Yamaha FG230 12 string
2014 Ohana SK10S Ukulele
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjensen7 View Post
You may be reading much more into the name choice than what is really there. I can sort of see where you might get that impression, but frankly you are the first person I've heard from that took the negative or pompous vibe from the R. Taylor name. People named "Robert" routinely use "Bob" and/or "Robert" interchangeably - depending on the circumstances or context. Obviously, Bob Taylor already was using his last name for the Taylor line. He probably wouldn't call the boutique line "Bob's Guitars" . R Taylor seems like an appropriate moniker (at least from my point of view) and really doesn't have any pomposity unless you are inclined to read that into it.

While I'm not currently in the market for a new guitar, I would certainly consider an R Taylor to fill out my acoustic collection. They really are a cut above in my opinion as to tone, playability, fit and finish.
"Bob's Guitars" - I like that! Maybe that should be the name for his 100 and 200 series ...

Well, someone has mentioned that "R.Taylor" is written on the inside of all models, so maybe that's his preferred title. However, he must be aware that he is universally known as "Bob", so to put the "R" very visibly on the headstock is a clear statement of something - what that is can be up for debate. But I don't agree that such things are insignificant. Nothing in marketing "just happens"; there are very clear and hard-headed decisions that go into the smallest detail. The connotations that buyers would attach to the "R" will have been the source of much discussion within the upper echelons - absolutely no question about that.

Maybe my interpretation of motive is wrong, but if so, another interpretation will be correct. The name doesn't appear in its present form by chance.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
"Bob's Guitars" - I like that! Maybe that should be the name for his 100 and 200 series ...

Well, someone has mentioned that "R.Taylor" is written on the inside of all models, so maybe that's his preferred title. However, he must be aware that he is universally known as "Bob", so to put the "R" very visibly on the headstock is a clear statement of something - what that is can be up for debate. But I don't agree that such things are insignificant. Nothing in marketing "just happens"; there are very clear and hard-headed decisions that go into the smallest detail. The connotations that buyers would attach to the "R" will have been the source of much discussion within the upper echelons - absolutely no question about that.

Maybe my interpretation of motive is wrong, but if so, another interpretation will be correct. The name doesn't appear in its present form by chance.
I'm thinking that "B. Taylor" just doesn't have the same ring. In fact, it almost makes it sound like a lower level Taylor, like the B-series, or B-lineup, or B-sides, you know, like the ones that didn't quite make the cut to being the A. Taylors. Therefore, I think R. Taylor makes much more sense for a higher end line/company.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion