The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Default Silver Creek (reality) 3x is the charm.

On the 2 purchases I have made on these guitars, I have had to reject at least the first 2 examples that they sent out to me. One for gummy USED strings, and buckle rash and the 2nd for neck angle issue. Strings a mile high over the fret board with NO relief in sight and a bridge that was cut down in height to compensate.

Waiting on # 3 Dread now.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 PM

I've read more than 1 thread about going through a few to get a good 1. Good luck on the third.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Crikey....I got lucky.

All mine needed was a new saddle and a good set up.

I ordered a clear pick guard from DS Custom for it as well for the heck of it.

It has a lot of promise.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:47 PM

I got my T-170 on Thursday and noticed the back seam at the butt is raised and uneven giving me the impression that there could be a problem down the road. The rest of the seam looked perfect as with the rest of the guitar. The top has dark mirrored racing stripes running up each side of the center which I really don't care for but does have some silking and a bit of bear claw. Other than that she sounds as expected, fine for an inexpensive guitar with new wood although in need of a set up to lower the action.

Overall if you get a good one it seems like a decent guitar for only $xx.xx, especially once it opens up.

This one is going back for an exchange on Monday - I hope #2 is a keeper. I'll let you guys know when she gets here.

Dave
2011 Gibson 60's Tribute SG
2007 Martin 00015 S
2010 SilverCreek T170
1986 Fender Champ12
1994 MesaBoogie .50 Caliber+
2010 Marshall Class 5
Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM

well I hope you guys have better luck with the new guitars you recieve. Guess I was lucky, all mine needed was a good setup, not really anything else I was unhappy with for the price. I have been playing it quite a bit recently and it really is a pretty decent sounding guitar.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Gotta agree with everybody on it being an awesome guitar. Hated mine at first impression, but played it a few days, changed out strings and it sounded awesome (T170 btw).

Something a bit more relevant to ya, both my girlfriend and my best friend both bought the dred, and they both sound terrific. Hope it was just a couple of duds for ya and good luck with this third one!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 PM

If I was still living in the US (I'm in Canada) I would have bought one for MF with that rebate just to see what all the hype was about. I've never played one and have heard both positive and negative reviews. Based on your experience it seems to be hit and miss.

I hope the 3rd one you get is the one.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 PM

My guess is that the "duds" are returns that they keep recycling instead of sending them back to the manufacturer.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
My guess is that the "duds" are returns that they keep recycling instead of sending them back to the manufacturer.
That wouldn't surprise me at all for a Pac Rim entry level guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion