The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM

I looked for a Martin a few years back, and could afford anything I wanted, within reason. Between an HD28, HD28V, D35 and D28, I chose the standard D28. Perfect mix of all to me. Not too boomy, clear bottom end, not muddy, not overly loud or bassy to record, and had a great tone for many reasons.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Martin makes good stuff, you betcha..............

madhat.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 PM

No matter how many guitars I play, My D18 is like home to me. There's just something about the standards!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson4NJ View Post
Congrats on the new guitar.

There's nothing like the real thing. This isn't to say that the other Martin guitars aren't fantastic and have an important place - but their basic all-wood, dovetail joint instruments really have it going on.

The 000-18 may be the best value in the business.
Yep, nothing like the real thing. Glad it found you.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 PM

I hear ya. I love mine!
Gibson J-45 Custom Vine Ivy Rose
Gibson J-45 Custom Purevoice
Gibson J-45 Limited Edition Koa
Gibson Limited Edition Hummingbird Custom Quilt
Gibson Hummingbird Flame Maple Quilt
Gibson SJ-200 Standard
Gibson Dove
Martin D-35
Martin HD-28VE
Martin PA-4
Takamine GY93
Tanglewood TW-28
Alvarez Plunker
Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
No matter how many guitars I play, My D18 is like home to me. There's just something about the standards!
Yep, I'm a real Martin fan and the D18's simplicity (in a good way) speaks to me also.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM

For many years my only acoustic guitar was a Alvarez dreadnaught copy of a D-28. It is a very good guitar but in '96 I bought a D-28 and the next year a D-35. Having these guitars showed me the difference in what I have been missing. About five years ago I bought a D-16GT, nice guitar yet last week I found a D-18 that was a joy to play. Simple conclusion, the better the wood and build the better the tone and playabilty.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talister106 View Post
For many years my only acoustic guitar was a Alvarez dreadnaught copy of a D-28. It is a very good guitar but in '96 I bought a D-28 and the next year a D-35. Having these guitars showed me the difference in what I have been missing. About five years ago I bought a D-16GT, nice guitar yet last week I found a D-18 that was a joy to play. Simple conclusion, the better the wood and build the better the tone and playabilty.
Not quite that simple a conclusion...........

That would equate to, using the standards (there are 8 woods grades), a D-45 is better than a D-42 is better than a D-41 is better than a D-35 is better than a D-28 is better than a D-18, and models below 18 do not even have graded woods.

I've owned 37 Martins, from 18's to 45's, custom shops to Authentics, and the lessons I've learned are...

1) Mostly they (models) are different rather than better. There is some correlation in price but it isn't written in stone, an absolutely special D-28 may well be better than an average D-45.

Which bring me to my second point....

2) They are factory guitars built to one QA/QC and they vary. I am a huge fan of cherry picking when possible, Martins QC is very high but every piece of wood is different. I think any good player who knows Martins could sit down with 5 D-28's and describe the differences; this one is brightest, this one is warmest, this is the most responsive.....and it would not necessarily be based on the prettiest. straightest woods, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

It's not a contest, if you own a Martin you're part of the Martin family, my favorites don't have to be yours and yours don't have to be the next person's.

Martins are like boutique ice cream, lots of different flavors for lots of different tastes, follow your ears..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 AM

Congratulations on the new guitar! I was recently taken by an HD-28, but made the mistake of playing a D-41. It just sounds more balanced. I still love my Taylors, but yes them Martins are something special.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Not quite that simple a conclusion...........

That would equate to, using the standards (there are 8 woods grades), a D-45 is better than a D-42 is better than a D-41 is better than a D-35 is better than a D-28 is better than a D-18, and models below 18 do not even have graded woods.

I've owned 37 Martins, from 18's to 45's, custom shops to Authentics, and the lessons I've learned are...

1) Mostly they (models) are different rather than better. There is some correlation in price but it isn't written in stone, an absolutely special D-28 may well be better than an average D-45.

Which bring me to my second point....

2) They are factory guitars built to one QA/QC and they vary. I am a huge fan of cherry picking when possible, Martins QC is very high but every piece of wood is different. I think any good player who knows Martins could sit down with 5 D-28's and describe the differences; this one is brightest, this one is warmest, this is the most responsive.....and it would not necessarily be based on the prettiest. straightest woods, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

It's not a contest, if you own a Martin you're part of the Martin family, my favorites don't have to be yours and yours don't have to be the next person's.

Martins are like boutique ice cream, lots of different flavors for lots of different tastes, follow your ears..........
Very well said

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion