The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Recommendation Needed: Horizontal Guitar Holder

Howdy. I am drowning in guitars and need to begin hanging them on my walls or consider buying a second home.

Due to severe space limitations, I need to acquire several horizontal wall-mounted guitar holders (the deeper kind, for acoustics and dreadnoughts, not the shallower ones for electric guitars). I’ve seen several online that look pretty cool, but would love to get feedback and direct URLs, if possible, to the ones you’ve used and found to be of good quality. FYI, I’ve seen several of these that hold the guitar at, like, a 30-degree or 45-degree angle. This won’t work for me. I need it perfectly level and horizontal, due, again, to my severe space constraints.

EDITED/ADDED: I am looking for brackets to hold guitars by themselves, not inside their case. I don't want shelves or hangers for guitar cases.

And no offense, but please don’t suggest I build my own. I simply don’t have the time or tools or expertise to do this. I DO have the money, if not too outrageously priced, so that’s the way I want to go.

And BTW, for the vertical holders I’m using the FretRest GH1BK by Proline. Last year, around Christmas, GC had them for the ridiculous price of something like $2.99 each so I bought a bunch. But I’ll be needing more. I like these a lot, but if you know of a cheaper one with similar features and quality, I’m definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions.

CL

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-29-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I used simple shelving brackets and attached the vertical pieces into studs in my "music room" wall. Earthquakes are rare in New Jersey, and so far everything has been solid.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 AM

Default Horizontal guitar holder

Yes, I was going to say "It's called a shelf" , but you went me one better. A "Shelf" without the actual shelf, just the supports.

BRILLIANT!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
I used simple shelving brackets and attached the vertical pieces into studs in my "music room" wall. Earthquakes are rare in New Jersey, and so far everything has been solid.
Very clever!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

The brackets look nice that way but its structurally not sound.

The brackets have a hook on them that grab the shelf board. If there is a sideload the bracket cannot flop left-to-right as this hook catches on the board.

Without the shelf there, the brackets can move left-and-right making the support wobbly.

For example, you could put your hands on a case and push it side to side easily.

I would suggest getting super cheap 1/8 plywood and just lay a piece across each set of brackets.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 06-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I like the horizontal idea and just have this comment:

There is a variable-by-individual-height limit to how high the top shelf can be if injury to guitar or human is to be avoided when accessing a top shelf.

I've got my guitar cases standing on a solid sturdy shelf (leaning on the back wall of the closet) that is 32" above the ground, and, even that is enough to 'worry' a shoulder when hoisting a heavy hardshell in or out.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

This may not be enough shelves for the OP but it solved my problem and looks pretty good in our music room. And, I've added another guitar on the bottom shelf.

Got this particular 5 shelf unit from Sam's Club but the idea of using any large, open design book shelf or decretive shelf (provided it's stout enough) would accomplish the same thing. YMMV!

Dave
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post

Ameritage loves you.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

OP here.

Folks, I blew it in my original post and should have been more specific.

I'm only looking to hang the guitars by themselves, not inside their cases. I'm not looking for a solution to store the cases, which I can store elsewhere. I'm wanting to look at my guitars around me on my walls while I sit at my office.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for taking the time to post the great pics.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM

I know you have your reasons, but why do they have to be horizontal?

The only thing I've come across advertised is a company called Aclam but they are for electrics. I don't recall seeing anything for acoustics anywhere.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsusean View Post
I know you have your reasons, but why do they have to be horizontal?

The only thing I've come across advertised is a company called Aclam but they are for electrics. I don't recall seeing anything for acoustics anywhere.
unless the OP meant vertical, I don't get it either. I have hung my acoustics from the wall in the same manner almost every guitar store does. I thought that Hercules made ones that were very good so I used them. No complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-GSP38.../dp/B0009K9MUA
Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Why not just get a set of metro style shelves, adjust them to the spacing you need, and add get some simple quilted pads made to zip tie to each one. If I were going to do this (which I wouldn't) I'd also make some kind of neck support.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
unless the OP meant vertical, I don't get it either. I have hung my acoustics from the wall in the same manner almost every guitar store does. I thought that Hercules made ones that were very good so I used them. No complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-GSP38.../dp/B0009K9MUA
Nope, need horizontal, flat and level with the floor, like the one below from Amazon (and note that it IS deep enough to take an acoustic).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pd_S_ttl

This is a good one, but it's pricey and I'm looking for other possible solutions and models that people might have used.

Yes, about 80% will be on vertical hooks, just like the ones in a guitar store (that's what the FretRest GH1BKs are for). However, inside my office I have several spaces above pictures and bulletin boards that will hold one guitar each, but ONLY if mounted side-to-side horizontal; otherwise the space goes wasted.

I'm trying to utilize every square inch of wall space available to me, and this is the only thing that will work.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Nope, need horizontal, flat and level with the floor, like the one below from Amazon (and note that it IS deep enough to take an acoustic).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pd_S_ttl

This is a good one, but it's pricey and I'm looking for other possible solutions and models that people might have used.

Yes, about 80% will be on vertical hooks, just like the ones in a guitar store (that's what the FretRest GH1BKs are for). However, inside my office I have several spaces above pictures and bulletin boards that will hold one guitar each, but ONLY if mounted side-to-side horizontal; otherwise the space goes wasted.

I'm trying to utilize every square inch of wall space available to me, and this is the only thing that will work.

Thanks!
That is very cool. What will they think of next!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I like the horizontal idea and just have this comment:

There is a variable-by-individual-height limit to how high the top shelf can be if injury to guitar or human is to be avoided when accessing a top shelf.

I've got my guitar cases standing on a solid sturdy shelf (leaning on the back wall of the closet) that is 32" above the ground, and, even that is enough to 'worry' a shoulder when hoisting a heavy hardshell in or out.
There is something called a step stool... ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion