The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Default Eastman question

Any thoughts, good or bad, about the Eastman E8D as an alternative to a D28 or HD28?

Played one a few days ago and was fairly impressed, so thought I would ask here.

Thanks

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 AM

I have 2 Eastmans - the E8 is a great sounding guitar and (to my ear) has a more modern, overtone filled sound than the aforementioned Martins. Just different enough to justify having one as well as a Martin .

I really like all the E series stuff and consider my E6OM to be my most versatile guitar.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 AM

I was going to ask question about Eastman guitar.
Making of Eastman guitar. Are they import all of the materials from outside China and build it there? Or are they just used materials from China and build them as vintage Martin's spec...in China ?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
I was going to ask question about Eastman guitar.
Making of Eastman guitar. Are they import all of the materials from outside China and build it there? Or are they just used materials from China and build them as vintage Martin's spec...in China ?
they have to be importing at least some, the materials they use like the adirondack spruce tops, ebony and East indian rosewood, and even the mahogany would need to be imported as that stuff is not native to china.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:52 PM

I have the precursor model to the E8D, the AC420 and love it; Its a big/bold sound Rosewood guitar. I don't know how it compares to the Martins, as I've never played either model for longer than a music store session; but I like the tone and would describe it as complex and bold. Hope that helps.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Thanks all for the comments, still looking for more if anybody has them.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 AM

I should be able to give you a hands on head to head later in the week, I'm currently using an AC420 (essentially the same as a E8D except cosmetically and with ebony board and bridge) and due tomorrow is a HD-28V.

It's not really a fair fight as the HD-28V is 16 years old and has been very well cared for but played regularly.

I really like the AC420 and it has kept my D28 gas at bay, my only real complaint is aesthetically as I'd prefer a more traditional look and don't like plastic binding on necks.

I was considering replacing it with an E20D when they were being sold off at 50% recently but decided the Adirondack top would possibly push it into too bright territory.

I'll be keeping the AC420 and using it for open mics, singer's night, rougher gigs etc.

This is a very accurate representation of how mine sounds.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:43 AM

I tried a E8D, and it was a really nice sounding guitar! But it's not a D28! I didn't try any HD-28 so maybe it's closer to that. But the E8D I tried was brighter and more "in your face" sounding than a D28.

"The only goal is in the process. The process is the thing--with little flashes of light-those are the gigs, the live shows…it's the life in between. That's all I got." Jeff Buckley
Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 AM

Thanks again for the comments and info. Looking forward to your comparison
Thoughts on the HD28V paganskins

Old 06-30-2015, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm not "bashing" Eastman guitars...I've owned five in my life and I believe they are excellent instruments. Especially at their price point. My only advice (if you can call it that?) is an Eastman will not scratch a Martin itch in the long run. I've purchased way too many guitars in lieu of something I really wanted for whatever reason only to sell the former and replace it with the latter. But Eastman guitars are IMO the best Pac-Rim guitars out there. Bet of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'm not "bashing" Eastman guitars...I've owned five in my life and I believe they are excellent instruments. Especially at their price point. My only advice (if you can call it that?) is an Eastman will not scratch a Martin itch in the long run. I've purchased way too many guitars in lieu of something I really wanted for whatever reason only to sell the former and replace it with the latter. But Eastman guitars are IMO the best Pac-Rim guitars out there. Bet of luck!
Agree with all points above...especially the highlighted one. Go out shopping for a dread...without brand desires or preconceptions...and I think Eastman will hold its own with anything around. Great tone, great projection, great action and feel. Take it on its own terms - or as a result of comparing it to whatever you want - and I think you'll be very happy. (I have an E8-OM and utterly love it.) Or who knows...maybe you'll prefer some other brand entirely.

But it won't substitute for a Martin standard model if that's what you want. And it won't substitute for Gibson if THAT'S what you want. It may have the looks you associate with those brands, depending on the model, but it won't have the specific feel and tone. (By way of example, I've played lots of OM and 000 models, including Martins, and I'll take my Eastman over any model UNTIL you get to the Martin OM-28V and above. If I ever upgrade, that's where I'll start shopping. Meanwhile, I'm super happy with my guitar.)

Hope you find something that makes YOU happy.

Dirk
Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringpickin View Post
Any thoughts, good or bad, about the Eastman E8D as an alternative to a D28 or HD28?

Played one a few days ago and was fairly impressed, so thought I would ask here.

Thanks
I thoroughly enjoy my Eastman E8D. I have previously had a bad case a GAS and owned and sold a Martin OM-35, Martin D-40, Martin 00015M currently own a Martin OM-15M as well as a previous Eastman E8D and a Eastman E20om and a few others

I would say I have a little experience having all these guitars in possession at one time or another but it`s strictly personal and what I might like might not work for you.

Anyways the E8D I have now has helped curb my GAS for a rosewood/sitka dread for a while. It really is a great sounding great looking guitar and if you look and listen at an Eastman don't judge it as a Martin clone in the sound department. Eastman do fall into a Martinesque sound but definitely have a their own vibe going on.

If my Eastman E8D had the neck, nut and string spacing of my Custom OM-15M it would be perfect
Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringpickin View Post
Thanks again for the comments and info. Looking forward to your comparison
Thoughts on the HD28V paganskins
The HD28v is a completely different animal tonally, the Eastman is much brighter or strident in the trebles – almost too much treble at times. The Martin has much more going on in the mids.

The Eastman sounds good but using the HD28v as a benchmark it doesn't have a Martinesque tone.

Both have a lot of overtones going on but the Eastman more in the highs, the Martin more in the mids.

As a caveat the HD28v is strung with phosphor bronze currently and the Eastman with 80/20s but I the comments above take that into account.

So to echo the general consensus an Eastman is great but won't give you Martin on a budget. Not sure if the higher end Blueridge or Recording Kings would get you closer?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Big plus one for me. I've gone down the road twice with an E20-OM and am AC420. They were both wonderful guitars...but they are not Martins. I've since sold them both and I'm still looking for the rosewood Martin for the stable.

But they are great guitars! You may find you like them and that they fit your needs perfectly! Play some and see!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks all for the information an comments. I was really interested in the what others thought and think I got a good consensus.

I have bought and sold enough acoustics (Martin included) to not jump first anymore. But still looking for the right rosewood dred and if possible 1.75 nut. That's the tough part it seems with Martin. Would love to find a 28 series with a D18ge neck profile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion