The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2015, 08:26 PM

Default I'm buying a new acoustic

I'm new to this website & new to guitar in general. I played drums for a little over 10 years & started playing guitar last year. I love guitar. I play everyday if I can. I only wish I'd started sooner! I started out on a borrowed epiphone acoustic & bought a washburn rover after a couple months of playing. I love the rover, don't get me wrong. But I'm wanting something that isn't pint sized. I've looked at many forums & read as much as I could on different starter guitars & what have you.

I guess my question is;
"Which acoustic would be best for me? Recording King RDH-05 dirty 30's dreadnaught or a Washburn WD100DL?"

Thanks to all ahead of time for your input & any positive advice is much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 PM

Personally I'd go for the RDH-05. Why that particular washburn? The WD 10s might be worth your time, but the WD100DL is garbage IMO.

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Guest 1511

I'm with the other poster, avoid the Washburn and get the Recording King. Much better guitar.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 PM

I had visions early on (before deciding on my Martin) of owning a Recording King slope shouldered dreadnought. (Great guitars and a whole lot cheaper than a Gibson J45).
Old 06-28-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
Personally I'd go for the RDH-05. Why that particular washburn? The WD 10s might be worth your time, but the WD100DL is garbage IMO.
the washburn is on sale for 130 w/ gigbag on MF
I'm just trying to spend $200 or less

I know you basically get what you pay for but I'm seriously broke. I'm house sitting in a week & will have extra money so I'll be able to afford a new acoustic. I just need the best for what little money I have to spend.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
I'm with the other poster, avoid the Washburn and get the Recording King. Much better guitar.
I was considering the RK over the washburn after reading reviews & hearing them played. I wanted a solid top, non laminate acoustic but it's so difficult to find one at a price I can actually afford. But the dirty 30's series seems to be the best quality for my price range.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddKiddAcoustic View Post
the washburn is on sale for 130 w/ gigbag on MF
I'm just trying to spend $200 or less

I know you basically get what you pay for but I'm seriously broke. I'm house sitting in a week & will have extra money so I'll be able to afford a new acoustic. I just need the best for what little money I have to spend.
Sorry, my friend. $200.00 ain't gonna get you much in a new guitar.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
He's only been playing for a year though. I can't think of any suggestions off the top of my head, but I have heard about some great beginner guitars.

My suggestion would be to get whichever of the two guitars you like the playability and looks of more, then get it set up by someone who know what they are doing or try to do it yourself. You'll want to lower the action for starters.

Fender Stratocaster MiM w/Texas Specials 2008
Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElipse View Post
He's only been playing for a year though. I can't think of any suggestions off the top of my head, but I have heard about some great beginner guitars.

My suggestion would be to get whichever of the two guitars you like the playability and looks of more, then get it set up by someone who know what they are doing or try to do it yourself. You'll want to lower the action for starters.
I sanded the bridge saddle on my rover & adjusted the truss rod. It was terrifying! but it did lower the action & made the lil guitar more playable.

He is right though, I'm not gonna get a great guitar for 200 or less. I just need something that will be out of this world to ME. When I play I feel the vibrations in my chest, it's like an extension of my body & soul. I sit on my porch swing, open a cold pbr & howl at the moon. I don't have a favorite tempo, I play to the beat of my heart LOL

Sorry for the passionate rant.... I think I'm gonna go with a Recording King though. It just seems right.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:30 PM

For new, I'd go with the RK. Washburn has never impressed me in its low price point guitars. Even their high end guitars seemed to be less value for the money than could be found in other brands.

I also suggest looking for a good used guitar. I'm sure for $200 you should be able to find a used Alvarez or Yamaha. Even a Seagull (good guitars, made in Canada, but I don't like the headstocks).

Good luck man, hope you find one you like and KEEP PLAYING!! You'll eventually become a musician instead of a drummer (old joke I know).
Old 06-28-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
You're absolutely right... I have to try though
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
For new, I'd go with the RK. Washburn has never impressed me in its low price point guitars. Even their high end guitars seemed to be less value for the money than could be found in other brands.

I also suggest looking for a good used guitar. I'm sure for $200 you should be able to find a used Alvarez or Yamaha. Even a Seagull (good guitars, made in Canada, but I don't like the headstocks).

Good luck man, hope you find one you like and KEEP PLAYING!! You'll eventually become a musician instead of a drummer (old joke I know).
Haha!! Old joke, but never gets old. I actually agree
Old 06-29-2015, 12:01 AM

If I was you, I would take a look at "The Loar" guitars, a used lh-200 or lo16 would be a great deal. Also an Eastman AC120 or AC220 used could make you happy for a while.
At least until you can afford a D28 or J45...
Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 AM

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Yamaha FG-700s. It's right at $199 full retail, maybe less, and its a really nice sounding and we'll built guitar for 200 bucks I think. I can't imagine myself going with anything else. Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

For $200, no tax and free shipping to your door, I'd get the Yamaha FG700s. In my opinion, it is a much, much higher quality instrument than all you have mentioned. sand burst niiiiiiiiice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

Edited... If I had read the post above mine, it would have saved me some typing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion