The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default How many folks browse dealer sites from a mobile device?

We have been working on a website redesign for a little while, and I'm wondering to what degree we want to make it mobile responsive.

How many of you browse sites from a smartphone or tablet, and what are your thoughts? What do you like or dislike about browsing for instruments on mobile?

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I have recently acquired a smart phone, sort of talked into it by my wife. I have found myself on musical dealer websites a few times, especially if an email coming in links me to a guitar on some other site. You know, "Hey, check this out..." kind of thing.

I still use computers a great deal, but it does seem that many people are moving towards tablets and smart phones. So making your site more viewable from a small format screen like a tablet or smart phone could be a good move.

- Glenn
Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi AMW. Making your website mobile friendly should absolutely be a priority! Don't skimp on this. It is infuriating to no end trying to navigate Martin's website for example on my iPhone. The whole layout is amateurish at best, even when viewing the information on a PC, and suggests a lack of consideration toward user friendliness in its design.

Mobile is the present and the future. Can't be any more direct and to the point than that.

(P.S. 80% of my responses on this forum are on my iPhone during my commutes to and from work)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 PM

I primarily use a smartphone for web surfing. This is definitely becoming the trend as well. If I were making a new website or revamping one I definitely feel it would be in my best interest to plan for the future and make it mobile friendly. FWIW, I HATE the Taylor website on my iphone. I won't even go there anymore because its sooooo difficult to do anything. Bottom line, if you want your website to be frequented and enjoyable when viewing it on any platform, make a mobile version. Mobile internet usage by the masses is going to do anything but decrease.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM

I use my iPad for most of my web surfing for guitars. I rarely use my Mac anymore. I use it mainly when placing orders or recording music. One of my big frustrations is that not all shops have pictures that are compatible with the iPad.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescobar View Post
I use my iPad for most of my web surfing for guitars. I rarely use my Mac anymore. I use it mainly when placing orders or recording music. One of my big frustrations is that not all shops have pictures that are compatible with the iPad.
Agreed. I made the switch to all things Apple a little while ago and it is frustrating that some things won't display properly on the iPad.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescobar View Post
Agreed. I made the switch to all things Apple a while ago and it is very frustrating when things don't display properly on the iPad.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Curmudgeon

I do almost all web browsing on an iPhone and I absolutely hate mobile sites. A simple well laid out site that can also be viewed on a mobile device is the way to go. Stay away from using flash if possible. The things that bother me most about mobile sites is the total lack of resolution. Pictures look horrible. There are plenty of websites without a mobile version that are very easy to view and navigate on a mobile device. It's all about finding a happy medium. Both Taylor and Martin have terrible websites period.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 PM

If I'm seriously browsing a dealer site (any site, really), I do it via PC. That being said, I think it is very important for any commercial website to be mobile-friendly.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM

I do most of my browsing from my Mac Pro, and I never browse from my smartphone. However, there are plenty of times that I'll browse from my iPad if I've been reading and want a bit of a break. I'd agree that it's pretty important for commercial sites to be mobile friendly, especially if they target ordinary consumers as opposed to institutional clients.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:54 PM

What Normi said, above.

I use iPad only. All the time. Car websites make me crazy. They use Flash Player which is not available on Apple devices.

Other comment: Try not to use any fancy features of the OS so that your site will continue to work when some 22 year old programmer gets a better idea!

I have not had any problems with any of the guitar sites I frequent with the iPad. I shy away from "mobile" versions, too.

Rich
2008 J45 True Vintage Classic
2008 Martin 0018H Geoff Muldaur
2012 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Added Trance Amulet p/u
Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Browsing

Almost all of my web surfing is done on an iPad anymore. Things that are annoying on a tablet or iPhone are pages with lots of info, it winds up being too small to read on a mobile device or iPad.

Also, Flash content. Why anyone uses Flash anymore is beyond me. AVOID FLASH AT ALL COSTS!!!

End of rant, thank you for asking
Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I do most browsing on mt Android Galaxy Note 2.

Todd
Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 PM

99% on my I-pad...1% on my Mac Pro, and NEVER on my I-Phone as the screens too small...I hope this helps...
Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 PM

I think the average age on this forum is pretty high and therefore, most of them don't have smartphones. I have one but rarely use the browser and I can't imagine a scenario that would have me browsing any retail site (except possibly Ebay.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion