The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Cheaper CF guitar

Hi, Brand new to the carbon fiber sub forum so I apologize in advance if this is a question that has been asked over and over.

I'm looking for an inexpensive CF guitar. Like in the $600 range. I have no idea if something like this exists but if it does, I'm all ears. I don't mind buying used or "scratch and dent" or whatever.

I build wood guitars and am in no need for another acoustic but we heat with a wood stove and starting very soon, the guitars have to live in their cases with humidifiers for a few months. This isn't the end of the world and I take them out to play daily but I LOVE having a guitar next to the couch to pick up quickly in the morning or evening. Since the humidity gets quite low, I just can't leave one out.

Ideally I would like a 12 fret parlor sized guitar, full scale with a sound hole in the center. I don't need electronics. I am fine with 14 fret and also fine if it's a little smaller or bigger. I'm fine with various nut widths and neck shapes. I am not looking for a travel guitar. Does anything like this exist or am I out of luck.

Also, I do understand that you get what you pay for etc... If I had more money to spend, I would. I'm not looking for the most amazing guitar in the world, just something I can pick on the couch for a few months in the winter.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Cheaper CF guitar

Check out Klos guitars. They have a wood neck and bridge. I’ve never played one but the body is carbon fiber and they would be in your price range. Other than that it’s pretty limited for 600 bucks. For around a grand you might be able to purchase a used or b-stock. If you are lucky sometimes a used Emerald X7 Opus will pop up now and then. Those usually sell 7-900.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM

There just isn't anything new in your stated price range.

Your best shots would probably be one of the new Rainsong "concert hybrid" series in the Parlor size, which would be "only" about twice your stated price; or the Journey "Overhead" or "Roadtrip" models. The OH runs just over $1K, and it has the additional advantage of breaking down to fit in a soft case that conforms to standard airline size limits for carryon luggage.

Or so it seems to me.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My first recommendation is an older Composite Acoustics Cargo (pre-2009 or after 2010...some guitars in between had QC neck issues, so maybe be taking a chance). Second choice might be a used, bit more recent Emerald X7. Next, a Journey OF660. All this said, your budget is likely a bit low. There aren’t a whole lot, if any, other good, proven choices. I’d expect to pay between $750-900, if one comes up for sale...they don’t often, for a reason.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 AM

What about Journey Instruments?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, Osage. Yes, the "inexpensive CF guitar" questions comes up from time to time here... but, the price of entry (not to be confused with entry level) seems to be around $1,000 with the Emerald X7 or the Journey OF660.

I did notice your "center sound hole" comment (since both of the recommendations above have off-set sound holes), and I'm inclined to say that I felt the say way about the off-center sound holes a few years ago. Actually owning one changed my perspective like flipping a light switch - they make quite a difference in the playing experience.

Emerald X7s do come up used on rare occasions. Other than the off-set sound hole, it is exactly what you are describing: parlor size, good sound, impervious to the humidity changes... and it has a 1 3/4" nut with a 24" scale, so it doesn't feel small. It is also the most comfortable guitar I have owned/played (and I've been playing for over 50 years). I was never a "couch player" until I got the X7 - it changed my mind on a lot of my traditional concepts.

Good luck with the search - if you find any way to stretch your budget, I think you would find an X7 would fit your needs and not be just for "the dry season."

In case I didn't mention it: love that off-set sound hole! It adds to the nicely balanced sound.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

If you are not dead set on a carbon guitar and you want to stay around 600 dollars Martin recently came out with all laminate O size. Even the neck is laminated. Model is OX2MAE.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:29 PM

As noted by Bry, Klos would seem to fit the bill. It's a short-scale (24.75") small body "travel" guitar. The body is all carbon fiber but the bridge and neck are wood. It should be almost as impervious to adverse climate conditions as a full-on carbon fiber guitar. I bought one for my daughter recently. It sounds like what it is, a small bodied guitar. It generates plenty of volume, but lacks the depth that you would get out of a full-sized guitar, whether wood or carbon fiber. Playability was good out of the box. And if you take it apart, it'll fit in a small suitcase.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM

People tend to think of carbon fiber as "cheap plastic" which could not be further from the truth. CF is an expensive material, and also expensive (tricky) to work with. So the Emerald X7 and the Journey OF660 represent the lower end of the price points. For the Journey, call Ted at LA Guitar Sales. Emerald is sold direct only, unless you find one used. Even a used CA Cargo is not likely to be much less than $900 - if you can find one.

The various Martin HPL (high pressure laminate) guitars are the lowest price guitar that I know of that would be quite resistant - but not completely impervious - to extreme environmental conditions. Be sure to NOT get a solid top version, as that would still be vulnerable to low humidity. Or a fully laminated Yamaha or similar inexpensive import.

FWIW, I used to have a Rainsong PMJ-1000. It had a laminated wood body, a wood neck and fret board, but a woven CF top. That guitar lived through very dry Alaskan winters without suffering any harm or requiring humidity care, and now lives with a friend in Tucson, AZ. She needed something that could handle very dry desert conditions.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like what i'm looking for just doesn't exist, which really isn't a big deal. Though it was worth a shot to double check.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

That's a shame, because you are missing out on some special guitars. Of course that's just my biased opinion. Good Luck finding something that works for you.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Even on the used market, you're looking at $1000+, looks like:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...%5B%5D=emerald
Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Guest 928

Osage;

What you seek is available. You can buy some good, inexpensive, plywood guitars, and they can enable you to save some money toward a keeper, a carbon fiber guitar that will endure.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Option 1: Klos

They are small, sized like a martin size 2 1/2 but with a full length neck. Also, they are not full CF, the neck and fretboard are dead tree.

Option 2:

Martin X-series with HPL instead of spruce top. Available in most sizes. Not CF, but the HPL is pretty impervious to humidity changes and dryness.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like what i'm looking for just doesn't exist, which really isn't a big deal. Though it was worth a shot to double check.
It all depends on how you rationalize it. If you think like Evan, then keep a price range in mind when you buy and if you were to sell. For instance a new X20 Opus cost about 1.5 grand US up front, but you could probably sell it immediately and not be out more than a couple hundred bucks after the dust settles (currently my X20 has cost me about a dollar per hour of use and my Lucky 13 is hovering a little above two bucks per hour and both are getting cheaper the more I play them). If you keep it for a year or two and put a few hundred hours into playing it, then your cost per use would be well below a dollar per hour once you sold it. That's a lot better than that exerciser turned coat rack that is taking up all that space in your living room. Thinking in terms of cost per use is a great way to rationalize paying more than you should for what you know deep down that you really want.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber