The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Best rhythm guitar

I know that you can play rhythm on any guitar, but which one seems best suited for just strumming. I was thinking about a semi-hollow body electric, not a pure acoustic. I know that there are a lot of different choices, but maybe someone can reccomend a guitar from their experience. Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 PM

You'll notice that the Gibson Les Paul has a "Rhythm" postion switch and a lot of players that focus on strumming play the LP although to me its best used by a "lead guitarist". I like the Fender Stratocaster as the best all-around/crossover/utility guitar. The Strat is equally at home playing the blues as it is playing country, rock, surf music, jazz, funk and everything in between. Although I have a Strat I enjoy playing my strat shapped guitars, PRS CU22 and McCarty. The McCarty is a nice compromise between the Les Paul and Strat, without whammy bar. Hope this helps.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-17-2006, 04:55 PM

For what type of use...meaning, plugged in onstage, in an acoustic setting, etc? I say a dred is an all around great strumming body style, but grand auditoriums can be great as well. Then you have choices such as strings, wood, etc. Figure out where you will use it most and what type of music you'll be playing, then decide on the guitar. As far as an electric strummer, it's very hard to beat a Gretsch G6120 Nashville.

That is my next guitar.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:08 PM

Arrow rhythm guitar equation

Who are your favorite rhythm players? + what do they play? = instruments to consider

Certainly a lot will depend upon your budget, the styles of music you'll be performing, and the kind of amp you'll be blowing up ~
Old 12-17-2006, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

The Samick or Epiphone jazzboxes are a nice inexpensive way to go...
Alot of bang for the buck. Ibanez also...

For extra dough the Eastman line-up looks good, but I have not played any of those...

Carry on.
And good luck!

Dave

Last edited by ramsa; 12-17-2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Brain short-out...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi BusterZ...
It may depend on your rhythm style and preference.

I play a thumb/fingerstyle rhythm and the bass of a LesPaul tends to compete with bass players, so I like the sound and texture of a Strat. It lets me fill holes without competing with the other players in the group. I also tend to play more of a rock rhythm than a jazz rhythm so the solid body is best for my style.

My gigging partner is a flat-pick kind of rhythm player and prefers a nice fat humbucking sound. His picks thin down the bottom end and his sounds great with his style.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Winning!

I'm not going to recommend a specific brand or model, but just want to throw my 2cents worth to make sure you select a guitar that's a suitable weight in ratio to your body size/build. IMo, this could rule out Les Pauls as they're generally bricks to lug around (even had reports from a Gibson player's chiropractor that someone's left should was lower than their right and would have any idea how this could of happened), so consider weight when purchasing. In saying that, generally hollowbody guitars are reasonable in weight.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Default see sig.

I can play rhythm guitar on all my guitars. You need to find out what or who's style you'd like to emulate...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:42 AM

The best rhythm guitar is the one you like the best. John Lennon probably used a solid body Rickenbacker and a hollow body Epiphone more than anything else. David Crosby seems to have used a Gretsch hollowbody often. I like the Les Paul but I'd probably go with a Taylor T5 if I were going to play mostly rhythm. My second choice would be a Carvin AE 185 with the optional coil switches (they give one the choice of dual or single coil sound). You have to decide which is the best rhythm guitar for you.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guita...emNumber=AE185
Old 12-18-2006, 12:42 PM

I always hear about how heavy a Les Paul is... how heavy is a Strat in comparison?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM

I'm with Larry on suggesting a Strat. They're way lighter than a Les Paul.
Alvarez Yairi DY77

Bill
Old 12-18-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm surprised no one's mentioned a Fender Tele. I always think of them as rhythm guitars but perhaps I'm wrong in that?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Perhaps it is because my first electric guitar, which I received at age fourteen, was a rather heavy, four pickup Silver Tone but I've never found the weight of the Les Paul to be objectionable. I certainly wouldn't settle for a lighter guitar if I happened to prefer the sound of the Les Paul. There are newer Les Pauls that are lighter than the original design.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:20 PM

I usually reach for my modded '78 Fender Telecaster Thinline. Not exceptionally heavy, and I love the feel. Need to get a guitar that is comfortable for you and a string gauge and action that you can really 'lay into.' Other than that...as others have alluded to, need to be comfortable with the tone you are trying to get at for the song, set, etc. With my thinline and PODxtl, that has been quite easy to achieve. The POD is a relatively new acquisition...had it about 6 months and find it very useful. The guitar and I have been together for 22 years this coming spring...It's jealous of the new killer Sunburst John Mayer Signature Stratocaster...and the 414CE-L7 that has been with me for over a year now also. Trying my best to make sure they all get ample attention.

Make sure you find at least two...so they can compete of course...and show the love...
Old 12-19-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgorekid View Post
I'm with Larry on suggesting a Strat. They're way lighter than a Les Paul.
That's what I used to think! I brought home a Deluxe Ash Strat a couple of years ago that is considerably heavier than my Lonestar strat. I don't know if it's as heavy as a Les Paul, but I'd have to guess that it's close.

I'm sure some would argue this point, but I think Strats have a more balanced design and weight isn't as much of an issue anyway. I'm not bashing LPs, I've been gassin' for one for quite a while now, and it's not the weight that's keeping me at bay. More like the lack of weight in my bank account.

'Cat
'02 Baby Maple
'78 Martin HD28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification