The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It does indeed offer multiple FX positioning. You can place FX before the amp and after the amp and you can run external physical effects in a loop that can be similarly moved before or after the amp.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I haven't tried the Scuffham plug. For some reason I've just found software modeling completely unsatisfying, probably owning to the fact that you are entirely at the mercy of the input impedance of whatever input devices you use. I haven't found an interface/preamp-interface combo that I like to use as the front end of an amp rig. They've all felt sort of, ummm... sterile, to me.

Favorite amps? I like the Deluxe Reverb models though the first thing I do is dumb the SM-57 mic and go with a U-67. I also like the Hiwatt. I was a little put-off by the brashness of the Marshall models until I tried changing the speaker systems and mics. With the Deluxe 1x12" and a U-67 mic, the Marshalls behave more like the gainy but smooth Marshall sound I like. As soon as I put together the Tweed model mentioned above I saved it off - it will come in handy.

Bob
Bob - thanks for the response...sorry for my slow return...got "distracted elsewhere" for a bit.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you could do an awful lot with just a decent twin or deluxe sim, so long as you've got good control over the cabinet IR and mics.

In a similar vein, I'm getting very tempted to try pairing something like a Wampler '57 pedal with the new ADA GSC2 cab simulator pedal. Not as versatile as a good multifx, but may also rank pretty well for quality. It is seeming that where most sims fall short has (mostly) been in the cab IR and, accordingly, accounts for a goodly amount of the acclaim units such as the Kemper unit has earned.

You're right on the money regarding the input impedance issue, of course, and the best software approaches (like S-Gear, I would contend) is in dealing with that well. So far, I've tended to prefer running the guitar into a preamp/DI before going into a low impedance input on the interface. That, unfortunately, doesn't address the latency issue, which is where hardware units like yours still hold a definitive edge.

cheers, EK

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 09-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

By the way, I've been monkeying with the input impedance adjustment for the rig. It makes a huge difference, especially with the Fenders that can sound kind of thin unless you match them well. You can walk through those settings or go with an auto setting that matches itself to the guitar.

I also discovered another cab I love this afternoon: The HiWatt 4x12 is very present and very smooth. I like it with the MD421 mic.

Bob

Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And a note: I've seen a couple more of these HD500Xs in the Guitar Center used database in this price range if anyone is interested. As I recall you can have a used item shipped to your local store at no charge.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars