The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
where did you hear this from?

buy used to experiment with. i paid $180 for a schecter 7 string. they can be found cheap because a lot of players give up on them.
A mid 80's guitar world, before Steve Vai and Ibanez were doing it.

The high A becomes an issue of scale length and tension. Most 25.5" scale .008 strings become prone to snap after being tuned past G and are higly nasal sounding.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
A mid 80's guitar world, before Steve Vai and Ibanez were doing it.

The high A becomes an issue of scale length and tension. Most 25.5" scale .008 strings become prone to snap after being tuned past G and are higly nasal sounding.
ok. electric guitars only though. acoustic 7's are quite old.

personally i wouldn't want to do this myself but you can use russian tuning (open g maj) if you really need a high string.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
ok. electric guitars only though. acoustic 7's are quite old.

personally i wouldn't want to do this myself but you can use russian tuning (open g maj) if you really need a high string.
Archtop 7s were practically forgotten by guitar mags. It was a somwhat rare thing to see people playing them in the magazines and I still haven't seen many authentic archtops in local guitar stores.

Lenny Breau had the occasional blurb about his high strung classical 7 with fishing string.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM

I've never owned an electric. Would it be a bad idea to buy a 7 string for a first electric guitar?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenHairlessCats View Post
I've never owned an electric. Would it be a bad idea to buy a 7 string for a first electric guitar?
refraining from putting a "good" or "bad" judgement on it, i would say that it probably isn't a typical first guitar purchase but everybody is different. who knows? you might find your new soul mate instrument.

go try some out at the store if they interest you.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM

It may be a little late to flog new life into this old thread, but what the heck?

A little surprised that the only 7-string thread I could find in the acoustic guitar forum has to do with electric guitar but I see that some other acoustic players didn't take that as an excuse to stay away.

Been playing 6- and 12-string in all manner of configurations and styles for many, many moons now, but I jsut acquired my first 7-string a couple of months back. Now, I suddenly have three of them.

First one was a cheap "Russian gypsy guitar" I got from the Ukraine. Actually, a reasonably good instrument for the money -- I paid more for shipping that for the guitar. The Russian guitar is traditionally tuned differently, but I started out playing it in standard western tuning, with a low B on the 7th string. I got hooked on 7-strings pretty quickly, and went out and got a decent quality 7-string classical instrument, which I love. Then, very recently, I had an opportunity to get an authentic Soviet-era Russian guitar, and decided to learn that in traditional tuning (D-G-B-D-G-B-D, low to high).

I play a lot of different styles, from classical to punk. I found using 7-strings for classical pieces to be pretty simple and straightforward. Some styles, however (notably ragtime) were a bit more of a challenge, since I do resort to "thumb-wrap" bass at times, so I needed to seriously rethink the fingerings in some pieces. I can actually still get my thumb up on the low B string (for some chords), but reaching over to the low E is asking a bit much.

The first big thing I noticed (right after I noticed that the neck was 25% wider...) was the resonance. Having that low B on there makes a difference, even when you're not playing on it directly -- and I like the difference. The guitar sounds more "present" even in a large space.

All this 7-string fever has launched me on a couple of side projects: one is trying to find method books and/or music for the Russian gypsy guitar, most of which, apparently, was published in the old USSR, and still hasn't made it out.

The other is: I find the action on the first few frets of the classical instrument a tad low, and decided to make a new bone nut for it and raise things up a bit. This is a job I've done before, but never on a 7-string. Where in the world do you get nut-blanks big enough for this instrument? Typical classical nut blanks are ~50-52mm, tops (aobut 2"), but this beast requires something between 60-65mm (nearly 2-1/2"). Seems like I may have to go out and shoot my own buffalo for this one...

Anyway, that's my 2, er... my 7¢.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 AM

I have an acoustic, electric, archtop, and soon to be a nylon 7. The topic of 7 string acoustic is more than a little rare. I don't think I've ever heard another acoustic 7, other than my own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars