The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 AM

Default Leaving pedals turned on... bad?

Is it a problem to leave effects pedals and stompboxes turned on for long periods of time (days)? My "turn the lights off as you leave the room" upbringing says I should turn them off but does it actually reduce their life?

What about having pedals turned off, but still powered up (i.e. not unplugging them)?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 AM

I'd think the actual circuitry in the pedal wouldn't have a problem being on for extended periods of time. I'd wager the charge-up rush from the pedal being turn on would be more stressful than the constant-on state.

But one thing to consider is heat buildup in the power supply. If the unit has a built in power supply, that power supply transformer tends to get warm. Not necessarily hot. Also adapters often get warm as well. This could conceivably shorten the transformer life or with a cheap adapter pose a fire hazard. Then again, perhaps not.

Another thing, I'd definitely not leave a tube device on for extended periods (that is, days).

Overall, for a solid state pedal I'd say it's probably not a big deal to leave the unit on. Plenty of people leave cable boxes, CD, VCR and DVD players on all the time, 24/7/365.

The nebbish in me says power down, but I wouldn't think you're harming anything by leaving them on.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 AM

Heat is the enemy (retired EE speaking here). If it does not get warm, no issues leaving it on. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 AM

There are articles about this kind of stuff in Sound on Sound regularly. Every pro studio keeps everything on, all the time. Especially old and sensitive equipment. The damage occurs mostly during powerup.

Heat is a separate issue and needs to be managed appropriately.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Yeah that's my understanding. When you power on, the components heat up suddenly, metal expands and this causes a certain amount of stress. A circuit which experiences significant warming (without actually overheating) is better left on.

However, pedals use small voltages and have tiny currents so I don't think it really matters either way.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. For clarity, these are all solid state pedals. No valves... and I DO turn off the amp.

I did wonder about my tuner. It has a nice LCD display when it's muted and I worry about that burning in. But on the other hand un-muting when the guitar is unplugged just seems wrong, having a "live" jack lying around.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Is it a problem to leave effects pedals and stompboxes turned on for long periods of time (days)? My "turn the lights off as you leave the room" upbringing says I should turn them off but does it actually reduce their life?

What about having pedals turned off, but still powered up (i.e. not unplugging them)?
Only if you use batteries. Batteries drain...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Personally, I'd turn them off. LED's and components have a lifespan. These little Belkin on/off switches are really handy. I have them on some of my pedals that require their own power supply.

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Belkin-Co...0B6BDVP6E54E8T
Old 09-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Good question, one I have wondered about too. I've always turned them off. It just seems like the right thing to do.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Plug all your power supplies (assuming you don't use a common supply) into one power strip, then one switch does it all.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Plug all your power supplies (assuming you don't use a common supply) into one power strip, then one switch does it all.
This is my approach. I only turn it off to save the electricity, though. I asked Keeley Electronics about the LEDs, they said they would be burning long after we are gone.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That's my practice, too.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post

The only problem is the wall wart will die sooner.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM

If I had a wall wart I think I'd want it to die
Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
The only problem is the wall wart will die sooner.
That was my thinking behind it too. Those do seem to warm up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars