The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Default ES Alternative?

Anybody know of a viable alternative for the ES? I'm just sick of how quirky it is and I find myself messing with it and more than playing now. I'm actually thinking of replacing it with a Sunrise PU but don't know how to negotiate all the holes and such. I've heard of a guy in California who's got a system for replacing it, any body heard of this? I think his name is Butch Boswell? Heard about him from a friend. Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediegirl View Post
Anybody know of a viable alternative for the ES? I'm just sick of how quirky it is and I find myself messing with it and more than playing now. I'm actually thinking of replacing it with a Sunrise PU but don't know how to negotiate all the holes and such. I've heard of a guy in California who's got a system for replacing it, any body heard of this? I think his name is Butch Boswell? Heard about him from a friend. Any ideas?
I'd consider the 2010 iteration upgrade first. Second, consider getting a K4 preamp to further shape your sound. Third, consider selling your currently ES-equipped Taylor for a non ES-equipped Taylor of the same specs (if possible). Only as a fourth option would I consider uninstalling the ES on a currently ES-equipped Taylor. It's going to kill the value of the guitar and you may still not be satisfied.

Not trying to be jerky here, but there are only three knobs. I don't see how one could spend more time messing with the ES than actually playing the guitar into which it is installed. My ES equipped guitar sounds pretty darn amazing with dials flat, straight into a house PA.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediegirl View Post
Check this out: http://mi-si.com/2011/01/22/align-xt/
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
Now, that is interesting. No batteries might totally be worth it. How is the sound?

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuufme View Post
Now, that is interesting. No batteries might totally be worth it. How is the sound?
They say it uses an L.R. Baggs undersaddle pickup, with their brand of preamp...so I'd assume the tone sounds essentially like a Baggs UST! Be careful that that's actually something you'd want...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Oops! Never mind...

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 07-07-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: My own stupidity!!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
They say it uses an L.R. Baggs undersaddle pickup, with their brand of preamp...so I'd assume the tone sounds essentially like a Baggs UST! Be careful that that's actually something you'd want...
The sound of the Baggs piezo may not be ideal, either, but that signal run through a Fishman Spectrum Aura DI might sound pretty darn good. Just a thought...

- Glenn
Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM

I agree w/ a previous poster..buy another guitar w/ no pickup in it...and then stick a K&K Mini in there!!!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 AM

I second the idea of selling your ES equipped guitar and buying a Taylor with no electronics. Taylor has excellent customer service, they're more than willing to accommodate. I hope that never changes, because while I don't like their pickup system, I absolutely love their guitars.

Fortunately I was able to do this shortly after buying a 614 with the ES. The dealer I bought it from took it back and ordered me a 614c with no electronics. It's pretty easy to order a Taylor without the ES through a local Taylor dealer, or Guitar Rodeo.

Former:
1999 Taylor 314ce
2010 Taylor 614c
2004 Taylor 714
2009 Taylor GA5
2011 Taylor GA7
2021 Taylor 114e
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
The sound of the Baggs piezo may not be ideal, either, but that signal run through a Fishman Spectrum Aura DI might sound pretty darn good. Just a thought...

- Glenn
I have contemplated this option many times...I'm nervous though that in the end, the aura wouldn't fix all the things I hate about UST tone, and I'd be out a whole lot of cash, needing to replace the UST.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
I have contemplated this option many times...I'm nervous though that in the end, the aura wouldn't fix all the things I hate about UST tone, and I'd be out a whole lot of cash, needing to replace the UST.
I bought a Fishman Spectrum Aura DI from Strings & Beyond for about $250, so I was not out a whole lot of money and I have several guitars I could use this with. I had the original Aura DI and gave that to my grown-up son after I get the new Spectrum because it sounded so much better. My wife is extremely negative on pickup systems -- nothing seems to please her -- but after I had this new Spectrum hooked up in the studio I invited her over to listen to it and she was dumbfounded. She agreed that it was the best live sound she has ever heard anywhere.

I was playing this with my old Taylor 514CE with a Fishman Prefix system installed -- nothing fancy. I didn't hear any negatives at all and the result sounds nothing like a piezo pickup. I use 100% Aura sound with no piezo sound in the mix. I hate the sound of a piezo pickup, so I do not want to be reminded that it's even in the mix.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM

We see lots of posts regarding the ES system and replacing it. I searched but couldn't find a poll here regarding those that have replaced it with something else that they prefer. I know that the 2010 system is an improvement over previous incarnations, but it still makes me wonder how many shy away from it and opt for something else.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 PM

I guess I don't see how the ES is any more "quirky" than any other system, but to each his own. I agree with the suggestion of running the guitar through a Taylor K-4. I find that gives me incredible capability to shape the sound of both ES and non-ES Taylors (or other guitars as well).

I guess I would differ with some of the other comments in that if you don't like the sound of a Taylor ES and if you find you don't like the sound even after shaping it with a K-4, then I would conclude you really don't like the sound of a Taylor. In such a case, it would be foolish to strip the ES; just sell the Taylor and get something else.

Taylor 810 (1993)
Taylor 855 (1993)
Taylor GAKC (1996)
Taylor 710CE (1998)
Taylor W-10 (1999) (Retrofit Expression system added 6/2011)
Taylor Kottke-12 (2002)
Taylor T-5 (2005)
Taylor GS-7E (2007)
Taylor Baritone-8CE (2011)
Gibson Arch Top F-hole (1940s?) (needs major work)
Gibson B-45-12 (1968)(sunburst finish)
Guild Mahogany (1988)
Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I bought a Fishman Spectrum Aura DI from Strings & Beyond for about $250, so I was not out a whole lot of money and I have several guitars I could use this with. I had the original Aura DI and gave that to my grown-up son after I get the new Spectrum because it sounded so much better. My wife is extremely negative on pickup systems -- nothing seems to please her -- but after I had this new Spectrum hooked up in the studio I invited her over to listen to it and she was dumbfounded. She agreed that it was the best live sound she has ever heard anywhere.

I was playing this with my old Taylor 514CE with a Fishman Prefix system installed -- nothing fancy. I didn't hear any negatives at all and the result sounds nothing like a piezo pickup. I use 100% Aura sound with no piezo sound in the mix. I hate the sound of a piezo pickup, so I do not want to be reminded that it's even in the mix.

Regards, Glenn
Wow, that does get me thinking...I do have a 114ce with the ES-T, so I could try auditioning that guitar to test the waters before considering dropping any cash on USTs for other guitars.

Did any of the built-in presets sound good with your 514CE, or did you have to download the correct images? I ask because I might be able to find a Spectrum Aura in a local store, but would only be able to audition the factory-loaded images.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Hi MBE,

I think auditioning the Fishman Spectrum Aura DI in a store with your guitar along with a set of headphones would be exactly the right thing to do to make sure you are satisfied with the sound. We all play differently and hear things differently, too. So you may not like what I like (or what my wife likes).

I used the images that came in the software with the preamp and did not go to any special trouble. I was drawn to the James Taylor signature Olson sound (I wonder why?). I actually did not care for the Taylor images that were available as they were too bright for me. I used no EQ whatsoever, everything was flat. The Fishman people say you shouldn't expect your guitar to sound like a different guitar just because you use a different image, but I thought my 514CE sounded an awful lot more like an Olson than a Taylor -- and to me, that is a good thing. I don't insist on dead accurate reproduction, I just want a sound that sounds like a real acoustic guitar.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification