The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Fishman or Linear Array?

I want to mic my guitar (Martin 000-18)(no pickup-hate 'em!) and need something that will give me phantom power for 2 mics. From what I've read the Fishman mini is not made well and the Bose and Fishman 330 are pricey. I'm leaning toward a powered cabinet (probably EV or Mackie) and my Yamaha 8 ch mixer. Small venues and probably not over 35-50 people. Maybe the occasional vocal but none, as a rule. How about some of the lower priced linear array systems. Suggestions?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:24 PM

You've got the right idea. Most of the array systems omit the phantom power. A compact mixer with 48v phantom and a speaker cabinet are the way to go on a budget. The newly released JBL Eon One Pro is the only array I know that comes with two phantom channels. It costs about $1500. And, no one has used it yet. The Fishman SA330 with extender mixer would probably be good. But, if you want the sub too, it's pricey.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You've got the right idea. Most of the array systems omit the phantom power. A compact mixer with 48v phantom and a speaker cabinet are the way to go on a budget. The newly released JBL Eon One Pro is the only array I know that comes with two phantom channels. It costs about $1500. And, no one has used it yet. The Fishman SA330 with extender mixer would probably be good. But, if you want the sub too, it's pricey.
Not sure whether those qualify as 'lower cost' line arrays. Depends on the OP expectations and budget.

I concur, the JBL EON One Pro is intriguing. I am getting great results from a Bose L1 Compact $999, and we use a Behringer Xair mixer $249 with great results. For my Solo shows, I only need two inputs, so I plug my guitar into the pedal board then to the Hi-z 1/4" input on the Bose and my Mic into the XLR low-Z input. Done. Sounds great.

I had a Fishman Soloamp (SA220) and gigged with it for a few years. Great system. But I find the Bose L1 Compact disperses sound more evenly at the same volume near and far. It seems to disperse wider and further than my Fishman did before the sound/volume level fell off. I have come to prefer the Bose L1 Compact. And I can stand right in front of it and hear it well without feedback and the sound I hear is essentially the same as to what the audience hears.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-12-2017, 02:21 PM

You can pick up a phantom power little box for cheap on amazon or elsewhere. I have used a Behringer Micro PS400 which provides 12v or 48v with one mic input. You would need two. It runs off of a wall wart. Works great. You might still want a mixer for eq and effects though and there are some very small mixers with effects and four inputs including phantom power for under
$100. Good luck.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

The Fishman Artist provides phantom power to two channels and includes some onboard effects as well as separate channel DI outs and a full mix DI out. I love mine!
Old 09-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I want to mic my guitar (Martin 000-18)(no pickup-hate 'em!) and need something that will give me phantom power for 2 mics. From what I've read the Fishman mini is not made well and the Bose and Fishman 330 are pricey. I'm leaning toward a powered cabinet (probably EV or Mackie) and my Yamaha 8 ch mixer. Small venues and probably not over 35-50 people. Maybe the occasional vocal but none, as a rule. How about some of the lower priced linear array systems. Suggestions?
I have no knowledge of any of these but here are some inexpensive colum type offerings

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/Column-and-Line-Array-Speakers.html?rewrite_name=Column-and-Line-Array-Speakers&sortChange=1&categoryOrder=Price-Low&ipp=24

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-12-2017, 03:14 PM

If you're not dead set on some type of array, I'll put in my standard plug for the Carvin acoustic amps. I play through an AG300 and it sounds great. Up on a speaker pole it fills a room or outdoor venue nicely. Three channels, 200 W, effects, 48 V phantom, great full range (including bass) response. To me nothing comes close for the price.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
If you're not dead set on some type of array, I'll put in my standard plug for the Carvin acoustic amps. I play through an AG300 and it sounds great. Up on a speaker pole it fills a room or outdoor venue nicely. Three channels, 200 W, effects, 48 V phantom, great full range (including bass) response. To me nothing comes close for the price.
It's still on my list for all those reasons, and I say that as someone very impatiently waiting for AGF and other reports of the JBL Eon One Pro.

Incidentally, anyone considering the AG300 should diligently check the site for two or three weeks if they happen to arrive when, as now, it's listed for $599. I've been watching for a half year and it's repeatedly marked down.

Another neat thing about this Carvin is its three input channels. Two have both XLR and 1/4 inch. The third has XLR and 1/8th inch. All of these can be used simultaneously.

Tons of info at the link in the quoted comment.

Last edited by Chriscom; 09-12-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
It's still on my list for all those reasons, and I say that as someone very impatiently waiting for AGF and other reports of the JBL Eon One Pro.

Incidentally, anyone considering the AG300 should diligently check the site for two or three weeks if they happen to arrive when, as now, it's listed for $599. I've been watching for a half year and it's repeatedly marked down.

Another neat thing about this Carvin is its three input channels. Two have both XLR and 1/4 inch. The third has XLR and 1/8th inch. All of these can be used simultaneously.

Tons of info at the link in the quoted comment.

The other benefit of the AG300, for those who consider it, is that it includes a 12" woofer capable of handling bass instruments. That's a big bonus for people who play in a 2 or 3 piece ensemble.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The other benefit of the AG300, for those who consider it, is that it includes a 12" woofer capable of handling bass instruments. That's a big bonus for people who play in a 2 or 3 piece ensemble.
Yeah, you may recall that in my recent OP thread here ("Duo filling this space"), that's a big consideration for me because when I do play in a duo, the other instrument is keyboards. While I don't need bass guitar punch I sure do need some reach down there. All reports I've read say the AG300 handles keyboards quite nicely.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Yeah, you may recall that in my recent OP thread here ("Duo filling this space"), that's a big consideration for me because when I do play in a duo, the other instrument is keyboards. While I don't need bass guitar punch I sure do need some reach down there. All reports I've read say the AG300 handles keyboards quite nicely.

For sure. I had a gospel choir join me at a gig recently. I played the keyboard through my Mackie Reach. It worked OK, but would have been much better with a 12" woofer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification