The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Default Versatile amplifier solution for home use

Here are the following instruments I am looking to amplify for my music room:
- Martin w/ K&K Mini
- Yamaha P90 (88 Key Stage Piano)

It's important to note that the primary/intended use will be for guitar. The piano is usually played through headphones.

Are there any good amplifiers that are acoustic guitar oriented and that easily amplify a passive pickup without the need of an external preamp? If so, are there any that have a second channel that allows for a flat response that will be ideal for piano?
Old 09-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Yamaha THR5A. Run piano in through aux input.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

There are a ton to choose from. It might help to tell us your budget, size/weight requirements, just to narrow it down.

Off the top of my head the Carvin AG300 would be a good choice. More of a half PA, the Carvin amps are very transparent. I have the AG200 which is great for our acoustic duo with just one guitar, one vocalist, but the AG300 with the larger speaker would likely be better for the keyboard.

Carvin amps are USA made, well-made, and quite affordable. You order them factory-direct and there are several really cool tolex pattern/color combos to choose from.

But that's the just the top of the iceberg. If you budget is higher there are a lot of really nice acoustic amps out there that would work for you from makers like AER, Schertler, Fender, Fishman, Bose, ACUS, Genz Benz, just to name a few of the more popular ones you'll hear about.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Budget is around 1500. No size or weight requirements as it will sit in my music room.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

I'd suggest you check out the Schertlers - a used Unico can be found for ½ your budget (or less), and a nice new Jam or even one of the newer models should fit the bill nicely.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 PM

I'll reinforce what Methos said. There are a lot to choose from, especially with your budget.

I really like my Carvin AG300. I've had a lot of compliments on how it sounds for acoustic guitars (mine and others with a variety of passive and active pickups) and vocals. We had a keyboard plugged into it a few weeks ago, and the keyboard player was really impressed by his sound. Both of my guitars have passive SBT pickups (although neither is a K&K Mini). I own a Redeye preamp that I never use with the Carvin. There's just no need.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:50 PM

With that kind of budget I'd recommend an Acoustic Image Coda. It's in a class of its own regardless of the intended source, and the reference-quality amp can be removed in seconds to function stand-alone. I would even recommend the pre over the Grace Felix.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 PM

Pardon me for asking, but how loud do you want to get and how acoustic do you want it to sound? Do you also want to record, play recorded music through it?

I have an A&H 10 fx mixer that I plug an electric piano into (stereo channel), an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, two mics, and a laptop for recording. The mixer can be put in front of an amp or speaker or used with headphones. This option frees up more choices in amps or speakers. It also allows you to put the mixer near you and the amp/speaker much farther away or on a pole. I think this help with dialing in the eq.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 09-08-2017, 10:38 PM

I'll keep the Carvin in mind. I think one of my biggest concerns I have is reliability. This was maybe back in 2002 or 2003. Encountered issues with an old SX Solid State amplifier and an old 2x12 Master Tube Series combo.

It is, certainly, a great value.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Pardon me for asking, but how loud do you want to get and how acoustic do you want it to sound? Do you also want to record, play recorded music through it?

I have an A&H 10 fx mixer that I plug an electric piano into (stereo channel), an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, two mics, and a laptop for recording. The mixer can be put in front of an amp or speaker or used with headphones. This option frees up more choices in amps or speakers. It also allows you to put the mixer near you and the amp/speaker much farther away or on a pole. I think this help with dialing in the eq.
Great question. Assuming this is a Solid State Power Section, I prefer to have at least 60 watts of power. I do not intend to play out, so wattage/decibel rating is almost a moot point...however, I think what is more important is a correlation made between power handling and speaker size in combos.

I do not want to go any smaller than a 8, especially if the amplifier is going to occasionally see a piano. I do not play archtops as much anymore, but assuming I do in the future, that same flat response and larger speaker would be a great platform for that instrument.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Consider the Henriksen The Bud. Mine sounds great with acoustic guitars with passive and active electronics. I haven't tested mine with a keyboard or bass but the reviews say it sounds great with a bass!! It's a surprisingly versatile small amplifier with good eq.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

With that budget you're choices are (nearly) limitless! Assuming you don't live in a mansion, 'home use' would seem to indicate that you don't need a ton of power. So now the biggest factor is size and aesthetics. Something with a beautiful wood cabinet like the Schertler or Fender (if that is your sort of thing) or maybe one of the stick/array type of units like the Bose or JBL Eon type systems. Those are great in that they throw a lot of sound all around while typically not being problematic for feedback issues.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
With that budget you're choices are (nearly) limitless! Assuming you don't live in a mansion, 'home use' would seem to indicate that you don't need a ton of power. So now the biggest factor is size and aesthetics. Something with a beautiful wood cabinet like the Schertler or Fender (if that is your sort of thing) or maybe one of the stick/array type of units like the Bose or JBL Eon type systems. Those are great in that they throw a lot of sound all around while typically not being problematic for feedback issues.
Great suggestions! I'll need to do some more research, but these three stand out to me in the 'stick/array' setup:
- Bose L1 Compact
- Fishman SA330X
- JBL EON One

Of the three above, I think the JBL is a tremendous value. The expanded channels and the included Subwoofer will cover a lot of ground. The Bose L1 is well...priced like a Bose. The Fishman SA330X has potential as well, but the JBL could be more versatile.

I am leaning towards the JBL. I love the fact that it includes the subwoofer and with the added channels, I can now (without re-wiring and eq-ing, which is what I would have to do with the Bose L1 Compact), have dedicated channels for my acoustic, piano, and record player. Aesthetically, it leaves much to be desired, but I can build out a cabinet/enclosure for the subwoofer if need be.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Do a quick search for the Schertler Roy - seems to be the "upgrade" from the Jam 400, and very powerful, flexible, multi-input, and attractive for home use - Still too new to get any hands-on reviews yet, it seems -
Old 09-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Before 'downsizing' to the Carvin AG200 we had played a Fishman SA220 for a couple years that we really liked. We even A/B'd with the Bose L1 and liked the SA220 better.

If we were to ever go back to a stick array system we would likely go with the soon-to-be released JBL EON One Pro which is going to add a battery feature for playing places with no power.

The three you're looking below are all great choices, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
Great suggestions! I'll need to do some more research, but these three stand out to me in the 'stick/array' setup:
- Bose L1 Compact
- Fishman SA330X
- JBL EON One

Of the three above, I think the JBL is a tremendous value. The expanded channels and the included Subwoofer will cover a lot of ground. The Bose L1 is well...priced like a Bose. The Fishman SA330X has potential as well, but the JBL could be more versatile.

I am leaning towards the JBL. I love the fact that it includes the subwoofer and with the added channels, I can now (without re-wiring and eq-ing, which is what I would have to do with the Bose L1 Compact), have dedicated channels for my acoustic, piano, and record player. Aesthetically, it leaves much to be desired, but I can build out a cabinet/enclosure for the subwoofer if need be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification