The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-21-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
It sounds almost as if its firmly leaning towards the RW-ish / Tree tonal spectrum.
RW = redwood, or rosewood? I've never heard "the Tree" before, but can't comment.

I expected this to sound much more like the all-mahogany guitars I have (two very nice ones from Santa Cruz are in the 00-size, and one is a 12-fret . . the Don Edwards Signature model).

I compared this 00-12 all-walnut to the SantaCruz Don Edwards and to a 1965 00-21 NY that I have (Brazilian / Sitka). Oddly enough, I think the all-walnut guitar sits in between these two, perhaps slightly closer to the BRW/Sitka. That's actually quite surprising to me.

I'll have to wait to make any more comments because I think this needs to acclimate to the lower RH in my house, and also because I need to lower the action. The truss rod is dead perfect, but the overall action needs to come down even lower for me. I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to fretting (and strumming for that matter), but this is too high for me to cleanly play it. So, if I tried to compare today, this guitar would sound worse simply because I couldn't play it as cleanly.

But that's nothing my guitar tech at GC can't fix . . he knows how I like'em now.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I also want to publicly thank Bruce Sexauer again for his all walnut guitar guitar that I played a few years ago at SBAIC and for his inspiration of building one. I hope other builder's follow Bruce's lead and test the waters.
I can also give the thumbs up on building an all walnut guitar. I built mine in response to a thread asking what an all walnut would sound like. Having some scrap walnut around I had nothing to loose in trying. I was lucky to have Bruce's thread as inspiration and his answers to my questions to help me along. I doubt mine holds a candle to yours and Bruce's but it was the first guitar I built where the people I had play my guitars really took notice.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Finally got it setup and had them put the new Martin Titanium strings on it. Sounds as good or better than the Retros that I like, but adds just a bit more bass due to the heavier-than-light strings on the bass end.

Just meant to show a bit of picking vs strumming. Certainly not mean to show off my lack of talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87n1SXq8O7Y

Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Nice! I love a happy ending.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

We do, too.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice work guys! Kudos.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop