The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
thanks, john. you are the best (y) i'm going to buy the SL and take the rest of the money and buy a good reverb pedal
Very good. I hope it works out for you. Be aware that the installation and set-up of this pickup is very critical! If something doesn't seem to sound right after you have it installed make sure to check with the guy's at Baggs. I've found them to be very helpful!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, thanks for this info. I have an SL I'm getting ready to install on my HD-28. You guys know so much more about this stuff than me. Giving me a great education.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 01-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I own an all-carbon fiber Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. Beautiful instrument, I love it. It has a Baggs Lyric installed. The body is only about 1" wider than a GA, and about 3.5" thick. Honestly, I haven't played plugged in enough and at volumes to really judge it. I'll soon be getting the latest Chimaera with a wood veneer top integrated over the gloss-topped CF and I'll have a choice to make about the pickup system. I can have a Lyric installed, but one of the other standard system offerings by Emerald is the Anthem SL. The full Anthem would be an upgrade. I have plans to start playing out more amplified.

Reading this thread and others, I'm leaning to the Anthem SL over the Lyric and full Anthem, but given the two necks, I'm wondering if the added flexibility of the full Anthem would be desirable. I should say that the mentioned size/weight differential although not specified, is of concern to me.

Fwiw, there is slight sympathetic string vibration that eminates from the unplayed neck that is unheard acoustically unless the played neck is stopped abruptly, at which time, I can make sure to simultaneously stop the unplayed neck. If I'm only playing one neck, I also have the option to place a capo at the 12th fret of the unplayed neck which eliminates the string vibration altogether. If for some reason this sympathetic string vibration goes undampened, I'm wondering if it would be aggrevated at volume.

All this to say that I'll have a decision to make between the Lyric, Anthem and Anthem SL for this particular doubleneck guitar. I don't think bracing is an issue for a full Anthem. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I had the SL version in my guitar but if I were to do it again, I would get the full anthem. I can see why people like the SL, but I personally found the tru-mic to dominate the signal to an unpleasant level. There is the adjustment screw but it's hard to dial in. I would have liked to be able to mix all the way to the element and slowly bring in the mic to see what I liked best.

I don't think its that difficult and to the best of my experience with the SL, you simply dial the microphone all the way out and bring it back in until you get what sounds good to you. Baggs has a handy dandy tool for this if you can get your hands on one.
I often adjust mine "on the fly" when playing through various systems.
The Anthem "blending" feature is nice but Brian at Baggs told me most of the guys at Baggs use the SL.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Is there anyway on the Anthem SL to determine battery life remaining?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

No unfortunately not. I've had both. Owned the SL first, then the full. Thought I would like the extra features, but i wouldn't have missed them. If I do another anthem it would be the SL.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Nope... but it's not that hard to figure out... the battery only drains when a cord is plugged into the guitar.

I just write down the date for the latest battery change on slip of paper and put inside my guitar case, then I write that date on my calendar as well... I don't gig much these days, so it is not unusual for a battery to last nearly a year or more.

Since I use Elixir strings and they last a LONG time, I usually just change batteries when I change strings. I've never gotten caught with a dead battery on stage yet, not after over 5 years of using the SL...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification