The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

So I pulled the trigger on one of these today just to see what it sounds like. I recently picked up a Roland AC-33 used for a good price in great condition (perfect). I did a review here. It's a decent little system and sounds pretty good. The dual 5" speakers can only throw so much bass though and that is where it seems to come up short.

My plan is to A/B the two head-to-head to see how they stack up. At the severe price difference if the Muqiq is even remotely close it will be a winner. I'll have it early next week, Tuesday, I think. So expect a full review later that week or early the next.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
So I pulled the trigger on one of these today just to see what it sounds like. I recently picked up a Roland AC-33 used for a good price in great condition (perfect). I did a review here. It's a decent little system and sounds pretty good. The dual 5" speakers can only throw so much bass though and that is where it seems to come up short.

My plan is to A/B the two head-to-head to see how they stack up. At the severe price difference if the Muqiq is even remotely close it will be a winner. I'll have it early next week, Tuesday, I think. So expect a full review later that week or early the next.
Really looking forward to this head to head. At a quarter the price or so of the Roland, hopefully it will still be a useful amp.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Yep, I referred the Mugig and Roland as similar but I was mainly talking about size and design, Can't wait for an sound comparison
Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Really looking forward to this head to head. At a quarter the price or so of the Roland, hopefully it will still be a useful amp.
Based on what I can 'see' on the Muqiq amp for controls, the Roland will win for EQ'ing both guitar and vocals. Plus it has the anti-feedback and looper function. But to use the looper you need the pedal and cable which adds yet more price.

Guess what? I already have a looper (X2). And for better EQ I have the K&K preamp which I've been using anyway on the Roland to get more power/volume out of the guitar channel.

So if the Muqiq sounds at least as good - never mind better - than the Roland we'll have ourselves a fair fight. Just got the shipping notice, due to arrive Tuesday. Stay tuned...
Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 AM

Not sure when I will get the opportunity to fully try out my Mugig, I just wanted to hop on the deal in the event I ever need a battery-operated combo amp. I was surprised that there was no EQ on the guitar channel, which would be a real drawback if you were using a guitar without preamp controls. Funny also how the 'gain' on the guitar channel is actually an FX blend control. I was dialing it up expecting some grit or at least more volume ...
The operating manual reads like a badly translated Chinese menu.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-08-2017, 07:30 AM

No Eq???? Mine has eq
Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I haven't heard the Mugig, but i am quite familiar with the Roland in question. Based on what Mike says about his perceived volume, I think some of ya'll are expecting a lot out of this little Chinese amp.

The Roland is actually giggable for small venues and has a pretty good deal of power. I will be interested to hear how they compare, but my guess is that it's gonna be apples and raisins. We'll see.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I haven't heard the Mugig, but i am quite familiar with the Roland in question. Based on what Mike says about his perceived volume, I think some of ya'll are expecting a lot out of this little Chinese amp.

The Roland is actually giggable for small venues and has a pretty good deal of power. I will be interested to hear how they compare, but my guess is that it's gonna be apples and raisins. We'll see.
I've used mine in a 40'x50' clubhouse with furniture I put as far from me as I could, limited cords so I'm guessing 20-30ft and after it gets to 75% volume it starts to get loud, remember this has a 8in speaker and a 2in tweeter
Would I be scared to gig it in a busking/ coffee setting, nope plenty of volume, using is as a mic'd monitor in a band not sure it could get loud enough to hear, maybe but then again anything can be mic'd.
I'm surely waiting on a review with it up against the street cube
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I've used mine in a 40'x50' clubhouse with furniture I put as far from me as I could, limited cords so I'm guessing 20-30ft and after it gets to 75% volume it starts to get loud, remember this has a 8in speaker and a 2in tweeter
Would I be scared to gig it in a busking/ coffee setting, nope plenty of volume, using is as a mic'd monitor in a band not sure it could get loud enough to hear, maybe but then again anything can be mic'd.
I'm surely waiting on a review with it up against the street cube
I reread, and I see it is the AC33 that it's being put up against I think the Street Street Cube would be a fair comparison
Old 09-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I reread, and I see it is the AC33 that it's being put up against I think the Street Street Cube would be a fair comparison
I let my wife know about the deal yesterday (she plays banjo) and she considered pulling the trigger. At $79.95, I think it's a no brainer. Not so sure at 100 bucks. I am mighty impressed with my Passport Mini and it gets comes w/a 5 year warranty. It isn't rechargeable though, and I find that a very desirable feature. C batteries ain't cheap.

My Passport is every bit the amp that the Cube Street is at 1/2 the price and has a durable metal chassis. I a/b'ed it against my Roland Mobile Cube yesterday and the Roland sounded like a toy.

Hopefully. Methos will share his findings with us next week.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I let my wife know about the deal yesterday (she plays banjo) and she considered pulling the trigger. At $79.95, I think it's a no brainer. Not so sure at 100 bucks. I am mighty impressed with my Passport Mini and it gets comes w/a 5 year warranty. It isn't rechargeable though, and I find that a very desirable feature. C batteries ain't cheap.

My Passport is every bit the amp that the Cube Street is at 1/2 the price and has a durable metal chassis. I a/b'ed it against my Roland Mobile Cube yesterday and the Roland sounded like a toy.

Hopefully. Methos will share his findings with us next week.
Yea, the passport, I would've kept but I bought the Mugig for $85 and then the Korg MM130 came up for $49 so I couldn't justify keeping the $150 passport, but if things hadn't happened like they did I'd still have the passport mini
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
No Eq???? Mine has eq
The EQ is on the vocal channel. I only experimented quickly, but it seemed the EQ controls only affected the mic, not the guitar.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The EQ is on the vocal channel. I only experimented quickly, but it seemed the EQ controls only affected the mic, not the guitar.
Me Bad....
I got my flashlight out..and your totally right.. Only one EQ section
I guess I never noticed it because I've only played my Yamaha A3M through it and I've got all the adjustments I need on the guitar...

Still a great deal... At the $100 and less pricing..
When you get closer to the $150 area there are better options
Old 09-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Had a few minutes to plug in and try out the Mugig amp this afternoon. To get some volume, definitely need to crank the channel volumes up. On battery power I ended up with both guitar and mic at about 3 o'clock, and the master at about 1 o'clock gave it quite a bit of volume in my living room. I think at this level it would be fine for busking.
Tone-wise I had to fiddle with the guitar EQ a bit,but having it alost flat seemed to be best for both guitars I tried - Fender CD140SCE, which is what I'd use for outdoor busking, and my new Taylor 114cd-N.
There's a fair amount of harmonic distortion at this volume level - acoustic guitarists will be sure to notice it, but casual listeners (non-musicians) are not likely to make note of it. I didn't play around a lot with it, but suspect that turning channel volumes down would reduce the distortion, at the expense of overall volume, of course. There are no separate gain controls, obviously.

Here are a few clips:

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-27-2018, 11:02 AM

Decided to purchase this Mugig amp today

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XY...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When I put it in the cart price dropped from $129.99 to $70 and some change

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification